Marvel Universe Question

MisterBaldy

Re: Marvel Universe Question

The original Marvel U is the "standard" marvel universe that we have all known and loved (or loathed) for decades.

The Ulitmate universe is a brand new universe with no in story connections to the normal Marvel U. It was created as a way to tell new stories and update old characters to a more current feel / approach .

The house of M is a artifice created by the Scarlet Witch, she rewrote the normal Marvel U, and it will be switching back... but rumours are that there will be major changes in the base MU because of this.

What do you know, I could actually answer a Marvel question.

There's also the point that the Ultimates line is an attempt to make things at least somewhat more realistic.

My impression was that they were going to be more gritty and Iron Age, which is not neccesarily realistic, just trying to lift the heroes of their four color CVK limitation.

My impression was that they were going to be more gritty and Iron Age' date=' which is not neccesarily realistic, just trying to lift the heroes of their four color CVK limitation.[/quote']

Well in some of them. I don't think that the UMU is more or less realistic or gritty than the regular MU. Some comes off iron age (Ultimates), other come off very "gilded Iron/neo silver*" (Ultimate Spidey, Ultimate FF).

The only difference in my mind between the UMU and the MU is that the UMU doesn't suck anywhere near as bad as the regular MU does. :)

* Think Judd Winnick, Geoff Johns, Kurt Busiek.

It's only really The Ultimates that's had that slightly grimy post-Watchmen worldview.

Back when the line started, with Ultimate Spidey and Ultimate X-Men, it was just another in along line* of attempts by Marvel to pull in a new generation of younger readers (who are always thought to be alienated by the weight of continuity in the regular MU) - in this instance by going back to square one and restyling key characters as kewl bigfoot High School mangaforms-wid-attitood.

The Ultimates, perhaps not coincidentally the only book in the line that's about grownups, is a completely different creature and the only one I have the remotest interest in (I gave UFF a try, but it was like one of those movies you'd have liked better if they hadn't bothered spending the licensing fee). Sadly, it looks like Vol.3 is going to change all that, to harmonise with a saturday morning cartoon series which I gather is on the way...

*Going back as far as the New Universe, by way of M2, Heroes Reborn etc.

Thanks Lord Mhoram...that ties-up a little bit of the loose ends. ;)

And for being the first to answer...here's some REP!!!

I like rep. I'm slowly inching towards the semantic nonsense (but cool) "reputation beyond repute". :)

I know what you mean Lord Mhoram...I like REP as well.

I've jumped up a bit in the past couple of days, and I haven't even had to post in "The Catsuit Thread" to do it.:thumbup:

The Ultimate line was also supposed to be a more "reader friendly line" when it was first concieved (ie USM). But they diverged with UXM and, of course, the Ultimates. And now it seems that DC is following in suit with the All-Star line.

As for other worlds, there's also the various futures, Spider Ham's world, the Squadron Supreme earth and many other varients of normal Earth ;)

Ultimate X-Men (especially the earlier issues) are about the grittiest, most depressing comics I've ever read.

I have to agree there. While I have always had some serious issues with how fast and loose Marvel (and specifically the X-Men) with psi characters over time. (And before anyone starts up yes DC has been doing small scale - mostly - memory erasing as well) However Marvel has repeatedly gone the MASSIVE memory changes, mind control and outright psionic surgery on many occasions - And this is just Xavier.

However through all of this I still felt that they were the heroes or at least the much lesser of two evils. However issue 1 of Ultimate X-men was the first time that I was findinng myself wanting to fire up and launch a sentinel myself.

(For those that have not read it Ult X-Men #1's introduction scene for Xavier has some of the students coming into his study where he is casually passing time by invading his favorite authors minds and "reading" the stories that they are currently composing in their mind.) Does this just scream WRONG :mad: to anyone else or is it just me being uptight here?

Here's my question...

What are the differences between:

• Original Marvel Universe
  • Marvel Ultimates
  • Marvel's House of M

Are these just different versions/retellings on the same universe?

Original Marvel Universe is business as usual. The accumulated continuity of Spider-Man (for instance) remains in place. Peter Parker is an adult, he's graduated college, been married (and possibly divorced, I'm not sure), etc. The same is true for all the other original Marvel titles.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a reboot of the series in which Peter Parker is a teenager now (as of 2000), and became Spider-Man very recently. The only continuity that matters in that series is what has happened in that series. They can pick and choose amongst the characters and events of the original series, altering them as they choose and adding them to the mix.

House of Marvel? I have no idea.

Ultimate Spider-Man (or Ultimate Whatever) are allegedly aimed at younger readers, but I was a long-time reader of Marvel comics and I'm 46. Ultimate Spider-Man got me interested again. I'd long since lost interest in trying to follow the decades-long, mult-title continuity of Spider-Man (and the X-books are even worse). A fresh start from the beginning let me take up the habit again without having to deal with all that baggage. I enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man. I enjoyed the Ultimates. I like some of the Ultimate X-Men stories that involve Spider-Man but otherwise I don't really care.