Lone Wolf of Magnamund (what kind of fantasy?)

steph

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: kind of fantasy

Lonewolf from the Japanese series "Lonewolf and Cub" comics and movies?

Not Wuxia - but certainly at least heroic level late middle ages. The main characters are generally more skilled than humanly possible.

Or do you mean Lonewolf from the Lonewolf Gamebook series written by Joe Dever and set in the world of Magnamund?

http://www.gamebooks.org/lonewolf.htm

You can download the gamebooks here-

http://www.projectaon.org/

If the latter, I'd say high fantasy - but street level.

Oooo, Chanbara . . . !

If it's Ogami Itto of the manga you're after, I'd put him at 100+100 - at least. The setting, according to Ninja Hero, would be Cinematic MA. I've had some thoughts about writing him up, but I've never gotten around to it . . . It would be far from impossible to do.

And of course I'd have to do a write-up on Yagyu Retsudo, too . . .

It is, technically.

There is fantasy, and there is reality.

Movies - no matter what they are about are fantasies. Fiction is a fantasy. Non-fiction is reality.

What you are confused about is the association of the word fantasy with "fantasy roleplaying games" which are predominantly set in pseudo medieval time periods with a great deal of magic.

What I'm saying is that Lone Wolf obviously had Danger Sense, and skill levels in sword use well beyond anything capable by a human. Just like Batman's skills.

Batman is superheroic fantasy. Lone Wolf is historical fantasy - just like King Arthur, Robin Hood or Cadfael (although I'd tend to say historical fiction).

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fantasy

Batman is a superhero.

For fantasy to be fantasy it must have magic, even though he is good he is not magical.

Otherwise every movie where sombody is shot with a nine mm pistol flies backwards is fantasy too.

as a matter of fact... that is exactly the point

For fantasy you need magic. Star wars is fantasy. Finely tuned senses is not fantasy. No way no how.

Fantasy doesn't have to include magic. Ain't in the definition. It just has to be fantastical - and Lone Wolf and Cub is most definately fantasy - we have a supernaturally-skilled swordsman wandering a landscape that bears a loose relationship to historical japan and fighting all manner of wierd and wonderful foes - while at the same time being more or less immune to weapons, wounds and weather. If that ain't fantasy I don't know what it is.

cheers, Mark

Fantasy does not have to have Magic, though many would certainly say that for them Magic is a key characteristic of what they enjoy about the fantasy genre.

I would call Lone Wolf and Cub Low Fantasy, personally.

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/Paradigms/LowFantasy.shtml

She is thinking of Lonewolf from magmamund.

Its epic fantasy.

If he/she means Lonewolf from Magnamund, then:

Its a tough call between Sword & Sorcery or Epic, but Epic fantasy is typically about some over arching world changing bigger picture, and S&S usually has more of a focus on individual actions and larger than life principal characters so I would err more towards S&S.

Its a tough call between Sword & Sorcery or Epic, but Epic fantasy is typically about some over arching world changing bigger picture, and S&S usually has more of a focus on individual actions and larger than life principal characters so I would err more towards S&S.

I thought that was just a sideeffect of it being a chose a path book.

Serously if Lone wolf and cub is fantasy then 90 percent of all martial arts and action movies is fantasy.

we have a supernaturally-skilled swordsman wandering a landscape that bears a loose relationship to historical japan

cheers, Mark

Mark, not to say it's 100% accurate (by it's nature, it can't be), but that comic is probably one of the most meticulously researched and presented images of the Edo era ever done. "Usagi Yojimbo" bears a "loose" relationship to historical Japan because of it's more fantastical nature (although it is also extremely well researched later on in it's run), Lone Wolf and Cub's setting is hardly "loose" in any sense of the word.

Rob

Mark, not to say it's 100% accurate (by it's nature, it can't be), but that comic is probably one of the most meticulously researched and presented images of the Edo era ever done. "Usagi Yojimbo" bears a "loose" relationship to historical Japan because of it's more fantastical nature (although it is also extremely well researched later on in it's run), Lone Wolf and Cub's setting is hardly "loose" in any sense of the word.

Rob

Oh I've read and like the series. I'm pondering buying the re-release (but there'ss so many of those little books!) - and I appreciate the amount of period "flavour" that has gone into the series and the work behind it. But at the same time, we have a character who can moves in a country apparently unhampered by taisei, despite his lack of papers and distinctive appearance. He fights a fair number of totally improbable ninja types. Many of the characters behave in a fashion more appropriate to a comic than to real life. As you say, that's necessary. The comic would have had a pretty short run otherwise! But my comment was not meant to be dismissive, merely descriptive. By way of comparison, I also like Blade of the Immortal, which I would describe as "totally fantasy Japan".

As an aside, if you have not seen it, there's a really nice French comic callled Kogaratsu which also makes an effort to provide authentic atmosphere. It's slightly less fantastic than Lone Wolf and cub in some regards (the main character is not nearly as uber) but slightly more fantastic in others. Even so, in real life I suspect the main character would have been killed pretty promptly or ostracised for his slightly westernised attitudes :D

Even Edo period Japanese society does not lend itself to episodic adventurers!

cheers, Mark

I thought that was just a sideeffect of it being a chose a path book.

Serously if Lone wolf and cub is fantasy then 90 percent of all martial arts and action movies is fantasy.

. . . More like 100%. Something being fantasy means being made up, in one way or another. This even covers documentaries.