Evil Organizaitons

Alverant

For fun, I thinking about creating my own Evil Organization. The problem I am having is that I keep coming back to established organizations (Viper, Demon, etc). Since I want mine to be more original, I need an idea that won't let me slide into a Viper-knockoff.

Any organization (good or bad) needs to clairify several things.

1) Goals: What are the goals of this organization. Is it a specific cause that could potentially go on forever (get rich, eco-terrorism, protect the Earth from aliens) or if is there a specific goal it works towards (take over the world, return the dark gods to this plane, destroy a particular supergroup). In the second case, you have to decide "what then". For example, what happens if Viper actually DOES take over the world. After partying for a few days the agents will stand around asking "OK what do we do now?" The Viper book doesn't tell us much how it plans to maintain control over the world once it takes over. Does the group change goals, disband, shift focus, or shurg their shoulders and say "you know, I never thought that far ahead"?

2) Minions: How does this organization recruit and treat their common soldier? This can range from expecting each minion to kill himself if captured to making a rescue immediately. Minions don't have to be human, they can be manufactured as well which makes things much easier in some respects. How are they treated when not on duty? How is disipline maintained?

3) Weakness: If this organization is going to be an atagonist in your campaign, how do the heroes find out about them and stop them? Too often a human failure (usually a minion) makes a mistake which clues in the heroes. You can't make an organization so tight they can acomplish their goals without risking discovery and interference.

4) Self-image: Does the organization even see itself as being good or evil? I don't mean how other people view them, I mean how the members see themselves. Demon is proud of being evil. Some members of Viper see themselves as ultimately fighting for a good cause while others know what they're doing is wrong and like it. Do they adopt an "ends justify the means" policy and anything goes provided it works towards their goal?

This whole thing can be a topic for an article, even a book. I have some ideas brewing and will post again when I hammered them out. In the mean time, what ideas did you have for original Evil Organizations?

Re: Evil Organizaitons

I have to admit that I've never created a completely-original organization in any of my games. :o OTOH I've never run one completely as written, either. I usually go from fairly minor tweaks to major revisions. Often I'll mix-and-match elements of various groups into a whole that's probably the next best thing to being original. There are a few examples of that last category that have played a major role in my campaigns.

---------------------------------

The villain organization Raven was introduced by Aaron Allston in his classic Super Agents supplement for pre-4E Champions, but never really developed very far. However, I was quite smitten with the conceptual and structural changes to Raven made by Steve Long in An Eye For An Eye. The concept of an organization dedicated to rule of the world by those "born and trained to rule", i.e. aristocrats, had potential, and the classical/medieval names and ranks, and semi-feudal command structure, gave the group a definite mystique. Of course, as a Dark Champions supplement it really wasn't geared to four-color campaigns, which are my preference.

My solution was to bring in the Families from Aaron Allston's Strike Force supplement. These were several related European bloodlines who all have longer than normal lifespans, and who often manifest mutant powers; the heroine Lorelei of Strike Force, and the mastermind villain Alasder Dell, were both members of the Families. I decided that the various family patriarchs were the founders and leaders of Raven, and their ranks of those "born to rule" could include anyone with innately superhuman abilities. To give them more muscle, I made Raven's elite enforcement corps, the Praetorians, into the group's supervillain branch, made up both of "younger son" scions of the Families, and villains with other origins.

Dealing specifically with the issues you raise:

1) Rule of the Earth by those "born superior;" all normal humans would be the equivalent of serfs. Leaders of the various aristocratic families would stake out their own territories, subject to the overall rule of the Grand Imperator. This would mainly be achieved through political and economic manipulation, destabilizing the world so as to discredit its leaders and leave the general populace eager for any alternative.

2) Recruited from disaffected "normal" people from many backgrounds, who believe that the current systems of world government have failed and who embrace Raven's views. Super beings would also be recruited on the promise of being part of the ruling elite.

3) Through uncovering Raven's political and economic influence, by an attempt to recruit PCs into the organization, or possibly through direct conflict with their forces (which are normally used only against those who learn the truth and can't be silenced by other means).

4) They believe in the "divine right of kings." Fate gave them the power to rule, and they intend to fulfill their destiny. They assume that the world would be "better" in their hands, but that's really just a rationalization of their desire for power and prestige. They don't worry overmuch about the details. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------

For another campaign, the main antagonist was inspired by Gold Rush Games's San Angelo: City of Heroes setting for HERO System, with elements from other Champions books. In that campaign I blended two light-powered master villains, Photon/Stephen Bow from SA with Sunburst from Classic Enemies. I gave the character a messianic complex after being "touched by the Sun," the accident that gave him his powers. In my world Stephen Bow became CEO of Eclipse Industries, a major industrial corporation, but he had also taken on the guise of Adam, founder of the new-age Light of Truth Ministry from SA. I modified the Ministry a little, making them New Age sun worshippers, with Adam presenting himself as the avatar of the Sun itself. As Photon he would recruit the most fanatical followers of the Light of Truth as agents of "Solar Mass," which assisted Photon in his supervillainous schemes. (I always liked the interplay of light/sun motifs among these groups.)

The various branches of Photon's organization were able to clandestinely help each other. Donations to Light of Truth financed some of Stephen Bow's secret projects at Eclipse Industries. Pirated Eclipse technology equipped agents of Solar Mass. Solar Mass would eliminate people who pried too deeply into the affairs of Eclipse Industries or the Light of Truth Ministry.

1) Their long-term goal would be to prevent worldwide ecological collapse, by giving the world a divinely-inspired vision of how it should be. Eventually human society would be reorganized according to new priorities, under the only being capable of bringing the renewing vigor and clear vision of the Sun - its avatar, Photon. Persuasion would be used first, with force employed if persuasion fails. Short term goals would include acquisition of sufficient influence and power to achieve the long term.

2) Like most cults, minions are drawn from the disenfranchised and from those searching for something to believe in. They're effectively brainwashed to fanatic loyalty.

3) I found several hooks to get the PCs involved with the different branches of Photon's organization: stopping Photon's crimes, investigating shady dealings at Eclipse, rescuing a brainwashed DNPC from the Light of Truth. The heroes can be attacked and harrassed in and out of combat by these groups, and if the GM handles it right it should be a long time before they realize that their enemies are all aspects of the same group.

4) Members of the group see themselves as followers of the divinely-appointed Savior of the World, which justifies many actions which have unfortunate short-term consequences. The group's leader is in complete agreement with them. :eg:

--------------------------------------

The group that I've spent the most time and energy developing of late is an official 5E CU org, the Cult of the Red Banner. I've posted about this group a few times before, so to keep from boring anyone who's already seen that material I'll just put up a link to one of those posts. I believe it will answer your specific points:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=465796

Here is an idea that does not get enough play in most games that I have played in:

This group calls themselves the Environmentology Society. They are trying to protect the Earth from any force that would try to do harm to it. Unfortunately the lifeforms that do the most damage is humans so they must teach humanity the errors of their way, or kill anyone who does not learn that lesson.

Minions are humans and other animals that they have trained in the pro-Earth ways that they believe will bring about the future of Earth, regardless if humans are a part of that future or not. They do not care what nationality, race, origin, super, or anything else that person hails from, especially since they will usually kidnap babies at birth and raise them in Society ways and beliefs and anyone not from the Society is an Earth Destroyer (ED) and needs to be treated accordingly.

The greatest weaknesses of the Society is that they will not listen to reason or any force that is not within the Society, even if that force is powerful enough that they could smash their way through any defenses set up. They will not treat any injuries, illness, or anything else in a manner that is not supported by nature, no artificial chemicals (aspirin, first-aid creams, artificial drinks, preventives, etc), no artificial power sources, etc. If it cannot be done in nature it should not be done.

The Society believes that it is a benevolent force working towards Earth's future, regardless of what that future is. With all the EDs destroying the Earth, that future cannot come about and only when those EDs stop destroying everything they touch can nature return to the timestream that it is supposed to be on. They cannot see that they have taken a good idea and carried it to the point that it has become a bad idea. Hopefully someday they will learn the error of their ways.

Hope that you like this Society. Their whole basis (if you had not figured it out) is taking a good idea and carrying it to the point that it becomes a bad idea. :angel:

The Raven organization sounds interesting. Did it just have the two-tier system or did it include the middle class which came to power during the Renassance? It seems like they'd have an uphill battle since many people think they can improve their lives. Unless there is some kind of upward mobility, the only recruits they will get are those who think they can't do any better. Those people would become dissatisfied quickly. (I suspect most of them would say "%&$*@ this, I'm gone!" when the first one of them got zapped by a superhero.) The idea is still good though if they can sell the romantized medieval era seen in popular fiction.

Thanks to everyone. I wrote down the ideas I had for the one I was developing. I still need a name, but I have a rough idea of them.

The organization is a group of exiles from a higher dimension. Originally they were generals, scientists, etc who tried to usurp control. They failed and their souls were pulled out of their bodies and all of them were exiled to Earth. Their goal is to create new bodies then return to their home dimension and have their revenge. Being souls, they are invisible and desolid by nature and few can see them. They can, however, possess a person. Unfortunately once a person takes control back (wins 3 consetutive Ego vs Ego rolls) they cannot be possessed again by this group. And they remember everything that they did. So they have to plan very carefully. Also unfortunate that so far this is the only way they can communicate with Earthers and affect the physical world.

They have no minions or structure per se since all of them are important and they share the same goal. Some may break off from the main group to pursue their own ideas, but they have to look out for each other.

I see this as being an ongoing plot. First a rash of mysterious robberies with the crooks claiming possession. Then rumors from psychic and magical organizations about these "spirits". A rich businessman who finds a way to communicate with them thus becoming their only Earther ally. (These guys would make great spies.) The PCs inveistigating mysterious robberies as each Exile guides the creation of their own new body.

Finally the decision of whether or not to let these guys go and leave Earth forever and start a civil war back home, or fight to keep them on Earth and risk the lives of millions here as they get more and more desperate to return. I haven't decided if the Exile's cause is just or not or even a grey area. (That is to say the guy they are fighting is just as bad of a ruler as they would be.)

I did decide that when/if they leave Earth, they won't come back. This could make them a temporary, but daunting ethical, problem for the PCs.

Your idea is definitely intriguing, moquif, especially if run as a mystery to gradually unravel: Why do previously-normal, respectable citizens start acting so strangely? What is the true goal of this group? There's also plenty of paranoia-inducing roleplaying potential if you allow DNPCs, or a PC (or more than one) to be possessed by these beings. :eg:

I would recommend allowing the group to recruit more minions, though, or at least allies. To achieve their goals they'll need to acquire laboratories and specialized scientists. They'll have to have security to protect their assets. They will probably form relationships with powerful individuals from various fields who can provide them with these things, in exchange for the knowledge they possess and/or their unique abilities which they can use to their allies' benefit. That may involve them in schemes not directly related to their ultimate goal, which you can use to mislead the players at first as to the kind of opponent they're facing. More armed operatives would also give the PCs more opponents to fight, especially if they're armed with weapons based on superior alien technology. Adding layers to the organization helps you build to a more satisfying climax to the campaign.

Since this is an organization for a supers campaign, they should have at least a few supervillains on hand, either hirelings or possessed. (That could include a few Hunteds of the PCs, who would start to wonder at their old enemies' changed behavior.) If the aliens do get permanent new bodies, they'll probably try to make them superpowered.

The Raven organization sounds interesting. Did it just have the two-tier system or did it include the middle class which came to power during the Renassance? It seems like they'd have an uphill battle since many people think they can improve their lives. Unless there is some kind of upward mobility' date=' the only recruits they will get are those who think they can't do any better. Those people would become dissatisfied quickly. (I suspect most of them would say "%&$*@ this, I'm gone!" when the first one of them got zapped by a superhero.) The idea is still good though if they can sell the romantized medieval era seen in popular fiction.[/quote']

Well, I based this on the version of Raven created by Steve Long, who gave it a fairly elaborate hierarchy. There were IIRC seven tiers to the org, known as "Mysteries," and members were referred to as "Initiates of the (First, Second etc.) Mystery." Each ascending level had increasing power and prestige, and was privy to more of the secret goals and workings of Raven... as well as cool Latinate titles like Balcanifer, "Standard-Bearer." Because Raven worked primarily through manipulation of political parties, business, labor, media and the like, rising through the ranks also meant being given ever-growing power and prestige in the wider world.

So, there was plenty of room for advancement and reward for normals with intelligence and ambition. Ultimately, though, they would hit a "glass ceiling;" the highest Mysteries of Raven were reserved for the domini, those blessed with innate superpowers. The Seventh Mystery was occupied solely by the Royal Council, the seven Domini who oversaw Raven's activities over each of seven regions of the Earth, and by the Grand Imperator who reigned over all of Raven.

Being "zapped by a superhero" was unheard of for most operatives, since Raven preferred to work subtly behind the scenes. They were much more likely to hire or manipulate others into positions where they were likely to be zapped. ;) OTOH, besides the Praetorians Raven maintained a small corps of normal but highly-trained and exceptionally equipped soldiers, called the Legion, for when force was necessary. However, the Legion received excellent pay and perks in exchange for taking occasional lumps. The leaders of Raven were the very epitome of "old money," and possessed vast resources.

Another good one I like is from GoO. Thier Villians supplement had the Reborn. This was an evil offshoot of the Pheonix Collective a good organisation. This group has worldwide influence and fights against the WTO and assiciated global corporations.

The Reborn do the Nasty jobs that the first group will never touch. Also are big beleivers in a conspiracy by the WTO to gain economic control of the planet.

Obviously this is a very trucated version of what they are like.

Jerome

PS Any notice that it has parallels to the old Atlas Unleashed organisation.

moquif - for your ED possessors, I can see them working on a couple of ways to have generally useful "vehicles" in between the times they need to possess someone specific.

1) Willing subjects - work up a cult where people willingly offer themselves up (thus no ego vs ego roll needed normally) in exchange for the "religious experience" and/or promise of rewards in the New Order.

2) Impaired subjects. People with inhibited wills (mental patients? lobotomized folks, etc) but full physical functions. Also use of will-sapping drugs on folks to make them more susceptible to possession (doubt the drugs would affect the spirit, so no danger in continuous doses).

A rich businessman who finds a way to communicate with them thus becoming their only Earther ally.

It would be fun to build this guy up earlier in the campaign as a bad guy on his own, then later have him make his team-up with the Exiles. Once the PCs find out the connection they'll probably assume that he's behind it all. :D

I've kinda thought about a fun "opposition" organization (I can't really call them villians, tho I'd definitely consider them Bad Guys), probably named Majestic, bsed on the whole Majestic 12 idea, updated for a superp[owered world. Probably would play out very similar to the NID in Stargate SG-1. A Black ops organization, utterly convinced that they are in the right, funded and backed by some of the top leaders in american society, whose mandate is to both aquire technology to allow the government to effectively deal with super threats and to suppress technology that could pose such a threat. Ever wonder where PRIMUS gets all those prototypes from?

Classic men in black.

I'm considering the questions and suggestions posed here. They are all valid and deserve to be taken into account. I didn't take all of them because I wanted to stick to the concept. If I didn't take a suggestion, I wanted there to be a logical reason for it.

The Exiles (as they're called now) are a group of scientists, generals, clergy, artists, politicians, etc who led a coup against a new powerful leader who took control over the dimension. They were the best their world had to over, but they still failed. As an example to others, their souls were extracted from their bodies and cast down to the lower worlds (Earth and similar dimensions). So far Earth has been the best place to stay and rebuild and contains the largest number of Exiled. Sometimes one from another dimension finds their way here and is welcomed into the larger group.

These are a pround, and somewhat ethical people, they do not like taking control of others but see it as a necessary evil. They feel accepting worshipers or willing help from "lower life forms" would contaminate their righteous cause. (They have a bit of a superiority complex.) Also being from another universe with different physical laws, their technology is not quite compatable with our universe. On the other hand, our technology would work in their realm. (A gun is still deadly even if electricity doesn't work.)

However they are willing to trade. Like a mercenary unit, they are willing to do work for resources. Due to their nature, they do mostly spying. Our own politics and power plays are petty compared to their own mission. Since humans are so primitive and unenlightened, they only do this if necessary.

The only requirements for the bodies they are trying to build is that it be sofisicated enough to interface with ther souls. Canidates can be one of Mechanon's spare bodies to a cloned mutant from Telious to a magical construct made by Demon. To insure success next time, they aim to have a variety of options. In theory they could use the Internet as a body but due to its useage and fragile nature, none want to try. (Picture your right arm suddenly detaching because a server in Atlanta goes down.)

Some of the Exiled have already taken artifical bodies. A few daring members decided that a weak body now would server the whole better than a strong body later. They are not as attached to these bodies and can be ejected easily. This is the closest they have to Minions. They act as a physical link to Earth to further their plans. They can also interface with computers on a basic level. They can do about as much as normal person can do via mouse and keyboard.

Their human "allies" have no illusions about how they fit in. They server the Exiles to further their own agendas. One may help them build a robot if it means recieving an upgrade to their armor in return. The Exiles do not double cross their partners and are a vicious enemy if they are betrayed. The Exiles choose villians because they are least likely to offer more than what is agreed upon. Alturism from humans is interperted as being condescending to them. An offer to help without asking for a reward would be taken as an insult.

I'm aiming to mold this group into a "behind the scenes" organization rather than direct confrontation. They are an indirect threat because of the help they give to other villians. An emeny may suddenly get a boost in power and the PCs will have to find out why. There may be rumors of a large robot hidden under an abandoned building and no one knows who built it. One of Telious's clones takes on a life of its own. A Demon sacrifice escapes possession by an edomite spirit. Mechanon is seen fighting Mechanon. Little anomlies here and there lead the PCs into a mystery climaxing to an army of Exiled, each as powerful as Dr.Destroyer, returning to their world to fight who knows what.

I don't know how well this would work without more physical clues. I could see a superteam missing everything unless the Exile's return will have horrible consequences and becoming a plot device. If that happens, the purpose of the group has failed.

• 4 months later...

I've kinda thought about a fun "opposition" organization (I can't really call them villians, tho I'd definitely consider them Bad Guys), probably named Majestic, bsed on the whole Majestic 12 idea,

Classic men in black.

MJ-12 as detailed in the roleplaying supplements 'Delta Green' and 'DG: Countdown' could easily deal with entire squads of superheroes. Most suited to a deep game that uses conspiracies IMO. Good call nevertheless ;)

Any of you guys get to take a look at the stuff? If so' date=' what did you think of the initial write-ups? The paln is to flesh them out so they look more like m write-up for BSI (The Bureau of Special Investigations)[/quote']

Well...you see the problem is, I didn't see any link. What's it supposed to look like?

One that I have had in the back of my mind for some time is entirely mundane in ability, but far-reaching in scope.

After a period of vicious gang-warfare between the area's three main criminal organizations (The Cagliani Mafia "family", the Chiang Triad, and the Vasquez Drug Cartel), there is a (relatively) sudden cease-fire. There are still skirmishes between lower-level minions, but for the most part, there is no more open warfare. The general populace does not know why things quieted down, but they are extremely happy about it. Popular rumors include the speculation that the "old guard" leadership died and the new leaders saw no profit in continuing their predecessor's vendettas, wondering whether the three still had enough membership left to conduct their "normal" criminal activities and the imminent threat of military intervention.

What is not generally known, even to their own membership, is that the three joined forces to create one large crime syndicate. The leaders meet in secret, divide up the city's criminal activities between them, and plot to ensure that no law enforcement entity gets in their way.

This is the situation that the players enter into as the first new supers in a world that has been without them for 35-40 years.

Have you seen 'The Rock'?

I like the idea of vilans who do not think of them selfs as vilans. They are championing a cause, a good cause, but what they are willing to do is the problem

Perhaps the are frustrated with the coruption and incompidence in the government. However theyre plan to rase a brave new world will send the nation into years and years of bloody cival war.

Seen 'Serenity'? I like the badguy. He was working to build a prefect world, a world he would not belong to, because of the things he was willing to do to create it. Almost a reverse Christ who will sin for us to deliver us to paradise.

I remember someone telling me about a faction in Vampire that beleaved that all vampires must be destroyed, but they themselfs had become vampires inorder to do this, and there last action upon destroying the last of the vampires would be destroying them selfs. Imagine a anti super group that they themselfs have become supers inorder to stop them. (super soulder syrums or something) and they are looking forward to the day they destroy the last super and can then them selfs be distroyed.