New Teen Champions: Ravenswood Academy

Kirby

Re: New Teen Champions: Ravenswood Academy

I'm not familiar with every NPC hero or villain out there, but if you can find one that has a legitimate reason for having a(n illegitimate?) child, then you could play that. I don't want anyone to say "Well, Sapphire could have had a kid when she was a teen, and that's me." (I'd probably allow a Bulldozer bastard child. :eg: ) Though you could just say, "okay, here's my superman teen homage" without being the child of a pre-existing NPC. And since it is a 200 point teen game, the PCs will -over the course of hopefully four years- grow into 350+ pt characters.

Something that I'll work on later (there's no requirement for it with submissions) is maybe everyone giving me 3 'plot seeds' for their character.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with every NPC hero or villain out there' date=' but if you can find one that has a legitimate reason for having a(n illegitimate?) child, then you could play that. I don't want anyone to say "Well, Sapphire [i']could[/i] have had a kid when she was a teen, and that's me." (I'd probably allow a Bulldozer bastard child. :eg: ) Though you could just say, "okay, here's my superman teen homage" without being the child of a pre-existing NPC. And since it is a 200 point teen game, the PCs will -over the course of hopefully four years- grow into 350+ pt characters.

Something that I'll work on later (there's no requirement for it with submissions) is maybe everyone giving me 3 'plot seeds' for their character.

Cool. I'll head over to Hero Central and check it out.

I'm not familiar with every NPC hero or villain out there' date=' but if you can find one that has a legitimate reason for having a(n illegitimate?) child, then you could play that. I don't want anyone to say "Well, Sapphire [i']could[/i] have had a kid when she was a teen, and that's me." (I'd probably allow a Bulldozer bastard child. :eg: ) Though you could just say, "okay, here's my superman teen homage" without being the child of a pre-existing NPC. And since it is a 200 point teen game, the PCs will -over the course of hopefully four years- grow into 350+ pt characters.

I'm thinking of a Legacy hero as well. Do The Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet exist in this reality? If not, can I use their names in the background with the understanding that a more campagine-approperate character will be substituted later?

For any interested' date=' as of now, I'll accept ALL submissions done by Hero Designer (please update to version 2.42 if you can) will be accepted, in case the players want to chit-chat and share ideas. After I'm settled down more, I'll start reviewing the characters and nodding at what works and trying to help modify what doesn't. My qualifier statement goes: "[i']If it turns out there's too many applicants that I don't think I can handle, we'll scale back then. Of course, if someone submits a character who breaks the guidelines and refuses to work within them, we'll kick them out of school too[/i]." ;)
I'll have to get membership on Hero Central but I will go ahead and e-mail you the character.

I'm thinking of a Legacy hero as well. Do The Lone Ranger and the Green Hornet exist in this reality? If not' date=' can I use their names in the background with the understanding that a more campagine-approperate character will be substituted later?[/quote']

Um, no, they don't exist, aside from TV shows. I'm using only 5E and some of the 4E characters. If you want to create someone named "Green Hornet" that's fine, just understand he has to be on 200 points. Same as if you wanted to create a Thor, except that the rest of the pantheon doesn't exist. If you want to put their names in the background as fillers, that's fine, we'll just need to make sure something replaces it before the campaign starts next year.

Um' date=' no, they don't exist, aside from TV shows. I'm using only 5E and some of the 4E characters. If you want to create someone named "Green Hornet" that's fine, just understand he has to be on 200 points. Same as if you wanted to create a Thor, except that the rest of the pantheon doesn't exist. If you want to put their names in the background as fillers, that's fine, we'll just need to make sure something replaces it before the campaign starts next year.[/quote'] Mr. X in Millennium City could serve as a decent replacement for Green Hornet. As far as the Lone Ranger... Black Mask V operated in 1870s Arizona.

In the 1820s they have a Zorro-like guy, El Lobo. There's a Grey Ghost for the Confederacy.

The CU does mention folks like Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein, and Jekyll and Hyde though.

Um' date=' no, they don't exist, aside from TV shows. I'm using only 5E and some of the 4E characters. If you want to create someone named "Green Hornet" that's fine, just understand he has to be on 200 points. Same as if you wanted to create a Thor, except that the rest of the pantheon doesn't exist. If you want to put their names in the background as fillers, that's fine, we'll just need to make sure something replaces it before the campaign starts next year.[/quote']

Posting background here. Can some one suggest someone from the CU to substitute for the Reid family? Or is their long-range contribution small enough they can be ret-conned?

The history of a King-fu Cow-girl.

On New Year’s Day, 1874, Texas Ranger Dan Reid was killed in an ambush in Bryant's Gap, Texas. He was survived by his widow, Linda, his infant son, Dan Jr, and his brother John, also wounded in the ambush. John was nursed back to health by Tonto, a member of the Potawatomai Indian tribe. John went on to become the Lone Ranger.

In the fullness of time Dan Reid Jr. married, took over the management of his uncle’s silver mine and his aunt’s newspaper, founded the family fortune, and sired Britt Reid.. Britt took over the communications arm of the family empire, newspapers, later radio, television, and internet.

When Dan Jr. died in an auto accident in 1936, Britt believed some Chicago mobsters had arranged the accident, and corrupt politicians let them get away with it. He adopted the identity of the Green Hornet to infiltrate the world of the mobs and bring them down from the inside.

The Green Hornet managed to make a dent in organized crime, exposed corrupt politicians that the Reid newspapers then hounded out of office, and broke up a ring of saboteurs during World War II.

[What Brittany doesn’t know is that the Green Hornet was never publically recognized as a hero, there was a whole Spider-Man / J Jonah Jameson thing going on between Green Hornet and Britt Reid. Reid frequently editorialized against gangsters, criminals, and other lawless elements of society, often mentioning Green Hornet by name. This was partly to build the Hornet’s rep with the crime bosses, partly to protect the Secret ID. Two people who hate each other that much can’t possibly be the same man, can they?]

After WW II Britt hung up the mask, married, and sired John Reid II. When John was able to take over the family publishing business, Britt semi-retired to the family ranch in Texas, where he now lives with his friend, Ikano Kato. (At 100, the widowed Britt looks like a well preserved 60 year old. He is active, vigorous, and clear headed, and is still the CEO of Reid Enterprises. At 89, Kato looks older than Britt, but is still able to do his two hours a day martial arts training. Some uncomfortable silences when certain questions are asked have lead Brittany to the conclusion that Uncle Kato is Grandpa Britt’s boyfriend. The accuracy of this conclusion is left to the GM.)

John still manages Reid Communications, formerly Reid Publishing. He is married. He is grooming his daughter Traci to take his place someday. But for now Traci’s favorite project is being editor-in-chief of Paladin, the People magazine of the metahuman community. Paladin covers the heroes and the villains, and has drawn praise and criticism for its nonjudgmental interviews with supervillains.

[What Brittany doesn’t know is that there is a suit of powered armor in her mother’s closet, and that in the late 80's through early 90's Traci Reid was “in the business” as the new Green Hornet.]

Traci has never married, but 13 years ago did give birth to a daughter she named Brittany Reid, in honor of her grandfather Britt. Brittany has never been told who her father is, but suspects that it is a metahuman her mother lost journalistic objectivity with. [it was Freddy Foswell, aka Foxbat. It is up to the GM if he knows or not.]

Mishi Kato, Ikano’s granddaughter, was engaged as the child’s governess. The family spends the school year in Chicago, but summers on the family ranch.

Brittany: “Let me get this straight. We have more money than God and can live anywhere we want. We choose to spend the winter in Chicago with the wind coming off the Lake at a thousand miles an hour, then when it gets hotter than Hell we go to Texas. Am I being punished?”

Despite the climate, Brittany loves spending the summers with Grandpa Britt and Uncle Kato. Britt has taught her to ride the palomino horses the family has raised for generations*, and to handle firearms. He has even let her fire the cherished family heirlooms, great great great grand uncle John’s .44 revolvers, loaded with silver bullets (“You don’t need to mention this to your mother”). Uncle Kato has taught her to drive a jeep and ride a motorcycle (not in traffic, but on the private roads of the ranch). She’s the only 13 year old she knows that can drive a stick.

But most important, every morning Uncle Kato leads the entire household through two hours of martial arts exercises that he says focus the body and the mind. Mishi supervises the rest of the year, and Traci joins in whenever she is home.

*Family Legend says that Roy Rogers’ horse Trigger and Bamboo Grazer, better known as TV’s Mister Ed, had bloodlines that branched off the Reid family horses. This is probably not true.

Um' date=' no, they don't exist, aside from TV shows. [/quote']

Or that could work too. How about I modify the family background so that this is what she believes, but in game she finds out that the Lone Ranger and Green Hornet were actually characters on radio shows, shows that originiated at a station that Grandpa Britt owned? And the rest of the family would be "Of course we thought you knew they were just stories, sweetheart. You figured out Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy when you were three. We though the reason you always wanted to hear them again was that you liked the way your great grandfather told them."

And the.44 revolvers would actually be 20th century, not 19th; props that Brace Beemer, the actor who played the Lone Ranger, wore during personal apperances.

And the.44 revolvers would actually be 20th century, not 19th; props that Brace Beemer, the actor who played the Lone Ranger, wore during personal apperances.

Sorry for the segue, but Bruce Beemer? My dear McCoy, Clayton Moore is the only true Lone Ranger.

Archon

My character is currently "in the throes of creation". In other words, I'm trying to string words into sentences.

I probably won't get him finished until tomorrow, since I have some critically important TV to watch tonight. ;)

The general thrust of his origin is easy enough:

His name is John Allan.

His mum is a Marine Biologist, who formerly worked at James Cook University in Townsville, Australia, doing work related to the Great Barrier Reef.

While diving on the reef, John accidentally came into contact with some chemicals that had been illegally dumped. Oops.

I'm leaving his father's identity a bit sketchy, because I'm considering having him turn up in a plot seed. But there are also questions of the time of his parents' divorce, why it happened and so on.

In other words, there's still a bit of tuning to do.

I will have a character for you tomorrow. I was going along nicely, then I noticed the "36 points preassigned for you" part. I may have to tone her down a bit.

Biiko was turing out nice too! Her battlesuit is a little cheesy, but that's what battlesuits do. I normally buy them as Only In Hero ID, but I figured as a teen she'd be with out it more often, so I went with OIF to make it easier for you to take away.

I also didn't notice the 8-12 skills you ask for. I just gave her what ever skills I thought she needed, and she ended up with her science skills in the 13-14 range. This is easy to reduce if necesary, but I think I'll leave those alone and let you decide. She *is* a genious inventor after all.

Sorry for the segue, but Bruce Beemer? My dear McCoy, Clayton Moore is the only true Lone Ranger.

Archon

Brace Beemer was the 4th, and best know, actor to play the Lone Ranger on the radio, and actually begain making public apperances as the Lone Ranger while Earle Graser was still voicing the part.

Clayton Moore was the Lone Ranger, or at least his 20th century incarnation. Like Roy Rogers, he realized that he was a role model and had a responsibility to his fans that went beyond a paycheck. We'll never see their likes again, and it's a pity, we could use a dozen of them. Requiescat in pace old friends!

Mr. X in Millennium City could serve as a decent replacement for Green Hornet. As far as the Lone Ranger... Black Mask V operated in 1870s Arizona.

I'm thinking Marvin Carr, Black Mask VI. My PC can be descended from Marvin's previously unmentioned sister. Ties, but no blood relation, to the other Black Masks.

So far the best canidate I've found for "Grandpa Britt" is Bill Jefferies, aka The Black Owl. Can you tell me more about Mr. X?

I also didn't notice the 8-12 skills you ask for. I just gave her what ever skills I thought she needed' date=' and she ended up with her science skills in the 13-14 range. This is easy to reduce if necesary, but I think I'll leave those alone and let you decide. She *is* a genious inventor after all.[/quote']

Well, if genius is her thing, then that would be okay, but for most of the PCs, I want to keep their skill rolls down, since they are essentially starting out. Even if a student makes an A or B in Science, that doesn't mean they're ready to be a scientist. :)

Any openings?

In theory, yes. There are seven who have already applied and they seem okay, plus there's one who may rewrite his who hasn't reapplied. I'm tempted to let everyone with a decent character remain, since I don't think any two people have submitted the same type (for example, I have only one brick, one martial artist, one invisible power character, etc.). So for now, yes, there are openings.

In theory' date=' yes. There are seven who have already applied and they seem okay, plus there's one who may rewrite his who hasn't reapplied. I'm tempted to let everyone with a decent character remain, since I don't think any two people have submitted the same type (for example, I have only one brick, one martial artist, one invisible power character, etc.). So [i']for now[/i], yes, there are openings.

What are the submissions so far, so I can work out a quasi unique concept?