New Teen Champions: Ravenswood Academy

Kirby

Hey everybody,

Well, I've submitted to the voices in my head and am going to create a Teen Champions game based in Ravenswood Academy in Millennium City. The game itself won't start until January, 2006, but I'm opening it for ideas and submissions. I have no idea how many characters I'll accept, but I'm very tempted to say "Eight" or more. :angst: The game will be over on HeroCentral and I'm really looking for people who are willing to 1) post an average of 7 times a week (doesn't mean you have to post every day, just average it); 2) will bear with me as it's my first Teen Champions game; 3) Won't expect constant combat (I love combat, but I'm going to try and emphasize the "teen" aspect). If you have Teen Champions, that would really help, but I'll add cliques and packages and stuff here later. Some basics:

Character Guidelines

Character Points: 200 (Base Points: 100 + 100 in Disads)

36 Points will be predesignated for you (Listed on Ravenswood setting on HeroCentral)

Required Disads:

(Watched, "Ravenswood Academy," MoPow, 14-, NCI, ltd geo area, PC easy to find) (20 pts!)

(Social Limitation, "Minor," Frequently, Minor) (10 pts!)

Characteristics: 10-30

Speed: 3-5

CV: 4-8

DC: 4-10

Active Points: 40

Character Points: up to 40

Skill Points: 10-30

Skill roll: 8-12-

Def/rDef: 12/6

Anal Retentive NO's:

VPP!

Skill levels, Self-created Hunteds, Penalty skill levels, complicated builds, cheesy limitations, munchkins, telling the GM how others react to what you've done (i.e., don't tell me what DCV an NPC is at, or if the NPC is CON Stunned from your attack; also, don't tell me how a PC or NPC reacts to you - and yes, I've been in games where this has happened), costumes (sorry, no costumes, yet), monikers (sorry, very cruel Headmistress Rowan running this, you'll "get yours" later)

As a note for costumes and monikers, you'll get them, but there will be some strict guidelines (ones that teens would probably find annoying ;) ), but once the campaign's started, I'll explain more (for those that don't have Teen Champions) and take monkers then.

Oh, it's under "Ravenswood Academy" with Subtitle "The Teen Age." Oh, you're a freshman, age 13 or 14. While Ravenswood secretly caters to teen supers, there are normal kids and adults there who have no idea of the "super" side.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New Teen Champions: Ravenswood Academy

I'll contemplate it some more tonight.

OK, some results of contemplation... Comments (from anyone) welcome.

I'm considering a male character with water powers. Basically, built straight out of USPD, with Water Form, one or two other powers (possibly in a multipower??), plus some relevant Life Support. He should be able to breathe water!

Because I'm not from the US, and could possibly miss some of the more subtle cultural references, I'll make him someone who grew up in Australia, and moved to the US recently-ish with his mother, after her divorce. That way he will have an excuse for being at Ravenswood.

I don't have Teen Champions yet, so I will need to be provided with any relevant stuff during the design process. I'll be getting it as soon as I can.

Do you have any preferences about origins? I'm considering a magical/elemental background, although I find them a bit of a pain to write.

I see the character growing more in a martial artist type direction rather than an energy projector one, so he probably won't be much of a fighter to begin with. He might have a Flash attack though - there's a nice one in USPD.

And yes, I have been thinking about the Superfriends a lot recently... ;)

I don't have Teen Champions yet, so I will need to be provided with any relevant stuff during the design process. I'll be getting it as soon as I can.

Do you have any preferences about origins? I'm considering a magical/elemental background, although I find them a bit of a pain to write.

Later this week I'll be able to start showing some packages and other info. (Also, feel free to look at the Campaign Messages on the Ravenswood area also, as I'll be answering questions there as well.)

I'd prefer elemental over mystical, but that's just because I have a dislike for the mystic side (but that's me, and with no VPPs, it'll make life easier for me) and I haven't enjoyed the mystic books released yet (though I know other have).

Here's another Disadvantage to help with the 100:

EDIT: 10 pts - Social Limitation: Minor (Frequently, "Minor") (since you'll be under 16)

I'd prefer elemental over mystical, but that's just because I have a dislike for the mystic side (but that's me, and with no VPPs, it'll make life easier for me) and I haven't enjoyed the mystic books released yet (though I know other have).

Here's another Disadvantage to help with the 100:

5 pts - Social Limitation: Minor (Occassionally, "Minor")

I meant "Elemental" in the mystical sense - as in "Elemental spirit".

But I have been considering other possibilities too, because I'm not a big fan of mystic stuff either.

The only option I'm not considering is Mutant. Bleah.

Thanks for the other Disad. I have been struggling. I presume there are lots of suggestions for Disads in Teen Champions. This is where not having it is a worry. :(

Still, once I get a bit more of his background and personality together, it should be easy enough to get some suggestions.

Incidentally, are these characters day students or boarders? In other words, would his family be around on a regular basis? This would have an impact on his "supporting cast".

I've got a character built. He's a future acrobatic, low-strength brick. Background concept is that he's the son of a ?dead? supervillain and has to deal with all that that entails, especially because he and daddy have a distinctive appearance.

I meant "Elemental" in the mystical sense - as in "Elemental spirit".

Sadly, this is what I thought and I meant to clarify the emphasis on Elemental. :o

Thanks for the other Disad. I have been struggling. I presume there are lots of suggestions for Disads in Teen Champions. This is where not having it is a worry. :(

No prob, though I just realized it's worth 10 points since PCs will be under 16. (Under 18 is 5 pts.)

Incidentally' date=' are these characters day students or boarders? In other words, would his family be around on a regular basis? This would have an impact on his "supporting cast".[/quote']

I'll have to double check, though I believe that the 'super' students all stay in the dorms, while the 'normal' students go home. (Though, in comic book style, no 'normal' has realized this. Hmm.)

Can points be saved from creation for later?

Mmm, I'll have to think about that, but I won't say "no" right off the bat. From what you described, you could have the character start with the tech stuff; there just wouldn't be access to it during "normal" school hours.

Some other Disads can include Distinctive Feature: Clique (5 pts) (Easy Con, Not & Rec) with various cliques being Alterna-Teen (music), Burnout, Cheerleader, Geek, Jock*, Loner, Princess, and Weirdo. All but Loner and Weirdo can have 10 pt Watched by their clique, 11-, As Pow.

*PCs with powers are prohibited from joining sports, as it would be an extremely unfair advantage. (Which, prohibits nearly every PC type :( )

Hunted by parents (mildly punish) 11-, 15 pts

Psych lim: fear of powers, 15 pts

Psych lim, "The crush" 15 pts

Susceptibilities and Vulnerabilities are good ones to start with and later buy off.

*PCs with powers are prohibited from joining sports' date=' as it would be an extremely unfair advantage. (Which, prohibits nearly every PC type :( )[/quote']

Actually this will be an interesting bit for my character, who will be an enthusiastic swimmer, but will have to find excuses for why he isn't in the school team!

For any interested, as of now, I'll accept ALL submissions done by Hero Designer (please update to version 2.42 if you can) will be accepted, in case the players want to chit-chat and share ideas. After I'm settled down more, I'll start reviewing the characters and nodding at what works and trying to help modify what doesn't. My qualifier statement goes: "If it turns out there's too many applicants that I don't think I can handle, we'll scale back then. Of course, if someone submits a character who breaks the guidelines and refuses to work within them, we'll kick them out of school too." ;)

I've got a character built. He's a future acrobatic' date=' low-strength brick. Background concept is that he's the son of a ?dead? supervillain and has to deal with all that that entails, especially because he and daddy have a distinctive appearance.[/quote']

If you don't submit, how can I acquit?

Wait, no.... :hush::ugly:

For any interested' date=' as of now, I'll accept ALL submissions done by Hero Designer [/quote']

Another problem... :(

I don't have Hero Designer.

At least if I use powers from USPD, it should be possible to use the USPD templates if you want to key it in for me. Or I could ask (grovel to) someone else very nicely if they would be willing to do it.

Speaking of USPD...

I've been looking at the Water Form power, which I was going to use as a key part of the character. It's basically Damage Reduction (50% Physical, 25% Energy, if I recall correctly). Unfortunately it's 45 Active Points. There's an alternative build based on Armour, but that results in defences that are way too high. I may just have to go for a lower amount of Armour and call it "Water Form". Meh. No drama.

Nah, I'd just consider it a 30 point power and a 15 point power (since you won't be using them simultaneously against the same attack unless someone builds one that way, and how often does that happen?).

If you can get someone to write it up for you, that's cool. If you can't, you can send it to me via e-mail and then submit an application to Ravenswood; it'll just be a while before I can review it. But I'm not going to say "no, you can't join" to someone simply because they don't have Hero Designer. (That's for when I become a celebrity GM :D )

Another problem... :(

I don't have Hero Designer.

At least if I use powers from USPD, it should be possible to use the USPD templates if you want to key it in for me. Or I could ask (grovel to) someone else very nicely if they would be willing to do it.

Speaking of USPD...

I've been looking at the Water Form power, which I was going to use as a key part of the character. It's basically Damage Reduction (50% Physical, 25% Energy, if I recall correctly). Unfortunately it's 45 Active Points. There's an alternative build based on Armour, but that results in defences that are way too high. I may just have to go for a lower amount of Armour and call it "Water Form". Meh. No drama.

I could probably help you out in that regard Assault, just email the character to me...

Hey, Kirby if'n I want to submit a character, where do you need me to send the HD files?

Woo! Provisional interest here!

My first thought, since I often play battle suit characters, was Biko "B-ko" Daitokuji, from the anime Project A-ko. A japanese freshman transfer student. Probably at least a little shy, gets good grades and is driven (but only because her parents expect it). Maybe I'll toss in a bit of Rumiko from Fans!, secrectly she really wants to be an artist, and she likes comics.

Second thought was Dexter from Dexters Laboratory, just older. This could get crazy.

I don't have hero designer, Teen Champions, or even 5th edition. I am an old Champs player from way back. (Way, way, way back). If that's too much to handle, no problem. This is supposed to be fun for everyone, you included.

I think I'll go make up a character :bounce:

I'm looking for what Mutants & Masterminds call the "Original" or "Paragon" archetype. A superman, or rather, his son. Brick with a bit o flight and enahnced senses. His powerset is still small and he's much easier to harm than he would be fully grown. Sadly, there aren't any Superman Style Bricks out there to be his parent. Viperia? The heretofore unmentioned son of the Snake (Viperia's half brother)? Perhaps one of his parents is a brick the other a flyer.

The easiest way would be to include it in your application over on HeroCentral; that way I can approve you and look at the character. However, if you're not familiar enough with HeroCentral and don't want to create an ID just yet, you may send me an e-mail with the .hdc as an attachment. Your choice.

As long as you can make an appropriate 200 pt character, I don't mind if you don't have HD, TC, or FREd. (Hero Games might, but I don't. :) )