Spells You Don't Want to Model in FH

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Spells You Don't Want to Model in FH

Okay, so it costs 5 pts for a character to be sterile? Or is that for having control of the process - being able to plan parenthood?

Lucius Alexander

That's NOT in the FREd the palindromedary and I are familiar with....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not entirely On Topic:

Once, when hungry, I headed toward the kitchen, and announced I was going to cast Create Meal. It has Extra Time, OIF Heat Source, OIF Utensils, and Expendable OIF Food.

I was, obviously, doing a take off on the spell Create Food from TGTMNBN*

*The Game That Must Not Be Named.

One would think that male mages could, if they wished, find some way to control their own fertility, although it could be awkward if done wrong (because the same organs that produce sperm also produce testosterone, and interfering with testosterone can have nasty effects on males).

I'm still wondering how a Detect Virginity spell would work mechanically, although its use can frequently be socially awkward. Still, it should be a favorite of suspicious parents of teenagers, not to mention cultists trying to determine who to sacrifice to Baal.

One would think that male mages could, if they wished, find some way to control their own fertility, although it could be awkward if done wrong (because the same organs that produce sperm also produce testosterone, and interfering with testosterone can have nasty effects on males).

I'm still wondering how a Detect Virginity spell would work mechanically, although its use can frequently be socially awkward. Still, it should be a favorite of suspicious parents of teenagers, not to mention cultists trying to determine who to sacrifice to Baal.

Not to mention Countess Bathory. :eg:

JG

I think a simple Detect (w Discriminate possibly) would be enough to determine virginity.

Socially awkwardness in performing it isn't really required, if you defined the spell as giving the person "Detect Virginity by Sight", then the person could simply see auras around all sexually capably beings that told them "Untouched", "Gotten to Second Base", "Hit a Grand Slam!"

TB

I think a simple Detect (w Discriminate possibly) would be enough to determine virginity.

Socially awkwardness in performing it isn't really required, if you defined the spell as giving the person "Detect Virginity by Sight", then the person could simply see auras around all sexually capably beings that told them "Untouched", "Gotten to Second Base", "Hit a Grand Slam!"

That would still lead to problems, particularly if it was a permanent ability AND the person was known to posess it. It would be about as dangerous as always knowing whether someone is telling the whole truth.

Restore Virginity is a conceivable spell as well that would have some unexpected consequences. Sufficiently powerful healing magic used on a female character might also have the unintended side effect of "restoring her virginity" -- a side effect that Jocasta Lara, Paladin of Elstella Goddess of Love and Lust who gains magical power and endurance from sexual congress and is extraordinarily accident-prone in battle, finds extremely inconvenient....

The latter. It's a females-only power.

JG

Now, why in the name of Steve Long would it be female only?

Baloney. If a female can control her own fertility, a male can control his own as well. I don't believe anything is this game system is that gender-specific.

So this is in Ultimate Metamorph? Basically an extension of the Life Support powers?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y? chromosome and a Y-not? chromosome

"Restore Virginity" wouldn't be a healing spell, it would be a history-altering spell, akin to the Word of Unmaking, but with a more limited effect. To make a woman a virgin again is not just to repair her hymen, it is to make things such that she has never had sex.

Zeropoint

"Restore Virginity" wouldn't be a healing spell, it would be a history-altering spell, akin to the Word of Unmaking, but with a more limited effect. To make a woman a virgin again is not just to repair her hymen, it is to make things such that she has never had sex.

Zeropoint

At the very least it would require a spiritual cleansing to remove the "taint" of the carnal act.

Would that require a Transform Spirit?

TB

Things I outlawed in my campaign :

1) No spell or power is allowed that would require me to change my physical campaign map. The political overlay, sure. But no raising new mountain ranges or blowing 50km craters into coastlines to make new bays. Bad Player Characters! Bad!

2) No invisibility and desolidification at the same time.

3) Resurrection never actually came up. It could have something to do with the big baddies in the campaign being undead. A person who was dead, then 'alive' again would tend to be deeply distrusted (and probably dismembered) by anyone who knew that he had been dead before.

Things I outlawed in my campaign :

2) No invisibility and desolidification at the same time.

Not even Usable As Attack, with the leaves body behind option? Aww, c'mon!

"What happenned? We saw you slump to the ground, we ran over to see what he did to you, he said some mumbo jumbo about powers of life and death, and just when we thought you were dead, you sat up."

"I tell you, I was dead! I was standing right there looking down at my own body. And now I'm unharmed. You want to FIGHT someone who can do that?"

Somehow, a mere 1d6 PRE for "Exhibiting a power" or even +3d6 if you consider it "Incredibly violent action" (After all, he was "killed" or apparently so) doesn't seem to cover it.....

Lucius Alexander

-3d6 PRE - no one takes you seriously if you ride in on a palindromedary

That didnt come up, though it would be a good indicator that you wouldnt want to fight that guy...

All spells in my game are required to take a -1/10 skill roll. And UaO Desolid+Invisibility (Sight Group+Normal Hearing, No Fringe) would be at least 146 active points, or -15 to cast. And it would be even more, if he could use it at range, and put 'time delay' on it (so he could stack on the lims to make it even semi affordable), or reduced his END Cost. Those would put it at -20 or worse to cast. And someone who can cast a -20 (or worse) spell reliably would almost certainly be able to casually toss around 150 active point attacks...

On the other hand, getting to where he could reliably cast at -20 (or even -15) to the skill roll would be difficult, since I have a normal skill maxima, after which the cost of whatever raises the skill doubles, and then redoubles every so often after that. IRRC, skill levels that raise a skill past 28- cost octuple...

Leaving the virgins alone for the moment. :rolleyes:

Detect Evil

Very frustrating little spell.

Player: "Is he evil?"

GM: "Well, actually, it depends on who you ask. If you were to ask...."

Player: "No, I mean I cast Detect Evil."

GM: "SIGH.... Yes, you peer into his very soul and find it very distasteful."

Player: "Ok, we'll wait until he's alone, have the five of us ambush him, kill him, and take his treasure."

Leaving the virgins alone for the moment. :rolleyes:

Detect Evil

Very frustrating little spell.

Player: "Is he evil?"

GM: "Well, actually, it depends on who you ask. If you were to ask...."

Player: "No, I mean I cast Detect Evil."

GM: "SIGH.... Yes, you peer into his very soul and find it very distasteful."

Player: "Ok, we'll wait until he's alone, have the five of us ambush him, kill him, and take his treasure."

A friend of mine explaining D and D alignment:

"Evil people will kill good people if there's something in it for them or if they get in the way and good people will kill evil people whenever they can."

cheers, Mark

A friend of mine explaining D and D alignment:

"Evil people will kill people if there's something in it for them or if they get in the way and good people will kill evil people whenever they can."

cheers, Mark

That I think more accurately describes the difference, and the reason why good people won't tolerate known evil people.

TB

personally I always though that the alignment axesis were switched.

look at the Evil people, they typically spend all their time in their lairs, ineffectivly plotting to take over the world but never getting the gonads to do it cuz they actually have everything they need right here and are a bunch of nerds anyway (or thier jsut some tribal-cave dwelling people like orcs)

Then look at the Good people, who make a living by who make a living raping and pillaging the homes of sentient creatures becaure they have green skin or a vaguely unhealthy obbsesion with corpses and the "heros" don't. Usually unleashing some Evil Beyond the ages in the process, which the "heros" then put down, pillaging yet more homes on the way.

Wall of Iron. Force Wall' date=' right? Only in AD&Dv1 it was permanent. Plus you could cause it to spring into existence horizontally, at a height, over an opponent's head.[/quote']

It's more like an Entangle, which at a certain point stops being an Entangle and starts being hexes of construction material. :P