Spells You Don't Want to Model in FH

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Spells You Don't Want to Model in FH

Heres a Spell you never want a person to Cast

Time Stop: Suppress Speed 40d6 (standard effect: 120 points), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 100 million km; +2 1/4) (850 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4)

It makes Everythign Stop, Forever, including the caster (I knew I should have bought Personal Immunity). granted this is a totally silli power, but still.

In Sailor Moon S, a somewhat more uyseful version of this spell was the finall arrow in the quiver of Sailor Pluto, Guardian of Time and Space. She used it in the final assault on Mugen High to give the other Outer Senshi a chance to escape an exploding helicopter. Although they were able to teleport away (although not consciosuly and with no control over their destination) Pluto couldn't. It took a considerable period of time before Pluto could once again appear in the physical Universe.

Pluto's Time Stop had a limited "real" duration (meaning that time would start again soon), and only those in her immediate vicinty could act -- in game terms this means that anyone in ther immeidate vicionty gets to use one Instant Power of their choice. (I need to look up whether Teleportation is an Instant Power -- I may need to revise the thought given what happened). However, the user herself can do nothing more than keep time stopped for the duration. And when the Universe resumes, aside from the action the other charatcers took nothing is different (the helicopter would still be blown up by the missile).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spells You Don't Want to Model in FH

That is alarmingly easy to do in Fantasy HERO. The question is simply one of scale. System-wise it's simple to create a spell that can distinguish between the barrier you wish to see through and what is behind it that you wish to see (through the door to reveal the monster behind it, through the chest to see what's inside it). If it is the caster who is using it, he might even be able to modulate the effect as needed to look for certain qualities he would know about (creating in effect a very flexible Detect that depends upon his vision).

Well, yes, it's not hard to do at least as a temporary thing. But you don't get it. I'm not talking about a spell to let you see things. This spell lets you see THROUGH things. Through Everything.

Nothing obscures your view of Infinity.

In other words, it turns the universe invisible to you.

You build it as a Flash to sight group.

Lucius Alexander

Trying a Charm Palindromedary spell

There's a spell like that in one of the Champions supplements.

Here we go, "The Mystic World", page 85: The Word of Unmaking. Causes the target never to have existed in the first place.

It's a piddling little 3,035-point power.

I don't know how you would model these, but in just about any fantasy world there would be spells to detect pregnancy (and determine the gender of the baby).

And there should also be magic to detect virginity, although actually using it would be considered rather rude.

There are some genres where the existence of Ressurcetion magic would be appropriate. But my main argument was that in Fantasy in particular, it is very arre for the dead not to have some presence or effect on the world of the living.

I am reminded of the Dor5k Tower episode when an annoyed Igor, GMing for a pair of female players he didn't particularly like (and not conicndentally the two love interests of his best friend) presented them with a room that contained "an infinite numbner of orcs". He expected this to intimadate his players, but was mistaken -- they came up with a simple and elegant solution that was nontheless messy.

That sounds like a nice little "trap spell", actually. And even if the universe does "reset", chance in itself should be enough to prevent the next five minutes from repeating precisely. And the circumstances don't have to be combat-related: you could cast the speel just after a critical moment while in the bedchamber of the High Priestess Oralicia Glamorosa of the Lust Goddess Amorita.....

I forget, how did the ladies deal with the infinite orcs?

I forget' date=' how did the ladies deal with the infinite orcs?[/quote']

See the earlier post about infinite orcs = infi9nite methane. Infinte Methane + Fireball = Massive Explosion, which in turn = Infinite Number of Crispy Orc Nuggets.

Years ago, when the first on-disk Monster Colection for AD&D was produced, I imagined how nasty it would be to have a geas cast on you that compells you to annoucne your class and level every time you enter a room.

"Hi, I'm a first-level magic user! What are you?"

"We're AN INFINITE NUMBER OF ORCS!"

"Er -- anyone roder a pizza?"

When testing the Amber diceless RPG for a review, I ocne pitted an Amberite against an inifinite nuber of orcs. The orcs ran away, leaving the Amerite still in the dark over whether the last counting number is even or odd.

I only allow ressurection with a high cost and uncertain success. The ressurector typically suffers a long-term endurence drain, as well as a risk of shock (if in very good health), or more serious issues, like heart attacks or strokes (if advanced in years or in poor health). The resurrectee has the issue that, while the soul is immortal or a part of a larger collective whole, the ego is finite. Ressurection potentially entails: patchwork memory loss, fractured personalies, or even being raised with what amounts to a mind wipe. This depends on how long the character had been dead, the skill of the ressurector, and any other logical circumstances that might apply. In general, I assume some memory loss and personality disfunction always occurs, but in most cases, is only temporary (or very minor).

Ressurection is possible, but difficult, in my fantasy world.

I start with the assumption that a sapient mortal being is composed of three parts: the body, with which we're all familiar; the soul, as typically conceived; and the "spirit", also known as "life force" or "ka". Whereas the soul is unique to the individual, all ka is identical, and serves the primary function of binding the soul to the body.

Obviously, resurrection requires putting all three back together. First, you need to restore the body to a condition capable of supporting the soul. That means fixing whatever caused the death in the first place, and then keeping the body on "death support" while you do the rest.

Second, you need a supply of ka. This is usually accomplished by having several volunteers donate a portion of their ka through ritual magic, although it is possible to take it all from one person, killing them in the process.

Last is the hard part. The souls of the departed are given three sunrises and three sunsets to make their peace with their fate before moving on to the afterlife, but they are not required to take this time. Assuming the soul of interest is still wandering around, you have to get its attention and let him or her know that the resurrection ritual is taking place. If the soul decides to come back, you have success.

One additional problem is that as you prepare for the final step, you have a functional, energized, but EMPTY body lying there. It's like leaving a car sitting around with the doors open and the engine running. Industrial-grade warding is recommended to ensure that you don't get someone, or something, unintended.

All in all, resurrection is expensive, difficult, and risky, even if you do manage to find someone who knows how to do it, which is complicated by the fact that the group of mages best equipped to do it--the Necroturgist's Guild--are philosphically opposed to doing so.

PCs can expect death to be permanent.

Zeropoint

From the "hollow bunny" fantasy anime OAV "Legend of Lemnear", the evil sultan's favorite/only spell.

It's essentially a large Mind Control, only vs. females, only one (complex) command..."Take off your top and let me play with your mammary glands."

Unfortunately for the sultan, as soon as he got distracted the heroine made her EGO roll for breakout, and made darn sure he didn't get another chance to cast it.

I have resurrection in my game world, but it's not easy. Restoring life to a body isn't incredibly difficult, but it's not incredibly common either. Restoring a soul to a body, however, is nearly impossible, and generally requires the intervention of a god. Characters who throw themselves into suicidal situations had better be sure that their continued presence in the material world is in the best interests of the gods.

I don't know how you would model these' date=' but in just about any fantasy world there would be spells to detect pregnancy (and determine the gender of the baby).[/quote']

The Ultimate Metamorph actually has a Multipower suite with Detect Gender of Fetus and Life Support vs. getting pregnant (5 points).

JG