Zeppelin versus Pterodactyls

Susano

Re: Zeppelin versus Pterodactyls

Love it! Reminds me of the pulp game where I played a pilot downed on a prehistoric island, who replaced the damaged wings of his biplane with the wings of a slain giant pterodactyl.

Can you imagine the cheesy special effects that would have been integral to this movie? The B-movie fan in me drools at the thought. :)

What would be awesome is if they built a launching platform into the zeppelin for the fighter planes. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

The planes drop off the bottom and then re-link via a dangling hook. At least, that's how it worked on some (I think the US used this system).

What would be awesome is if they built a launching platform into the zeppelin for the fighter planes. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

At the risk of sounding like a company shill -- well, OK, I am a company shill ;) -- if this thought intrigues you, you should definitely pick up a copy of Masterminds And Madmen when it's available in a few weeks. One of the master villains, the Skymaster, has a gigantic dirigible that also serves as his aircraft carrier, with an entire through deck for planes to land and take off. Even better, we have six full pages of detailed maps of the Skyfortress, by the boards' very own Publius! It's very, very cool. :thumbup:

At the risk of sounding like a company shill -- well' date=' OK, I [i']am[/i] a company shill ;) -- if this thought intrigues you, you should definitely pick up a copy of Masterminds And Madmen when it's available in a few weeks. One of the master villains, the Skymaster, has a gigantic dirigible that also serves as his aircraft carrier, with an entire through deck for planes to land and take off. Even better, we have six full pages of detailed maps of the Skyfortress, by the boards' very own Publius! It's very, very cool. :thumbup:

Great, now I need to scrounge up money for Pulp Hero and for this as well.

::walks off grumbling::

And lest I forget -- sweet poster' date=' Michael! Thanx for posting it. I may have to put a section into the Pulp Resource Guide pitting pterodactyls against zeppelins now. ;)[/quote']

The guys on the Feng Shui mailing list went nuts over this picture. :)

The planes drop off the bottom and then re-link via a dangling hook. At least' date=' that's how it worked on some (I think the US used this system).[/quote']

On the airship St. Louis if memory serves. Saw the films at the Air and Space museum.

I could cry that this picture was never made. My spine tingles just seeing the poster.

I did run a dino-versus-zeppelin fight in my archangel campaign. Unfortunately, it was in clear skies, and the PCs saw 'em coming - and opened up with the several MGs mounted on the ship. Pteros (actually tribesman-mounted riding quetzalcoatlus) just don't have enough BODY or armor to stand up to a stream of hi-power rounds. There wasn't even time for the fighters to swing into action.

Next time, it'll be a surprise attack, at night and/or in cloud cover. :eg:

On the airship St. Louis if memory serves. Saw the films at the Air and Space museum.
The names USS Macon and USS Akron come to mind...

And so do Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk parasite fighters. These were carried, launched and recovered by a hook-and-trapeze system, rather than a Battlestar Galactica-style flight deck.

Give the pteros (or their riders) flame-type weapons ... and, as The Monster notes, an ability to get close ... and the airship could be in deep trouble, even if it's helium-filled. Gasbag materials just don't like fire....

The names USS Macon and USS Akron come to mind...

And so do Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk parasite fighters. These were carried, launched and recovered by a hook-and-trapeze system, rather than a Battlestar Galactica-style flight deck.

For more on the Macon and Akron, and the Sparrowhawk, see http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/curtiss_f9c.htm

For more info, see http://aerostories.free.fr/appareils/compopara/page13.html

Don't be too sure. German zeppelins had one or two machine-gun nests on top to protect from enemy fighters.

The US Akron and Macon mention earlier, were designed to mount seven machine guns. two in the command car, two in the bottom rudder, and one in the bow and two along the top spine.:bmk:

To get close' date=' simply have the flyers come in from above. Not to many machines guns on [u']top[/u] of the zeppelin, eh?

At the risk of sounding like a company shill -- well' date=' OK, I [i']am[/i] a company shill ;) -- if this thought intrigues you, you should definitely pick up a copy of Masterminds And Madmen when it's available in a few weeks. One of the master villains, the Skymaster, has a gigantic dirigible that also serves as his aircraft carrier, with an entire through deck for planes to land and take off. Even better, we have six full pages of detailed maps of the Skyfortress, by the boards' very own Publius! It's very, very cool. :thumbup:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Steve Long again.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

QM

Give the pteros (or their riders) flame-type weapons ... and' date=' as The Monster notes, an ability to get close ... and the airship could be in deep trouble, even if it's helium-filled. Gasbag materials just don't like fire....[/quote']

What no Flamming Arrows and Crossbow Bolts or how about Flamming Bolos and Lassos.

LOL

QM

maps maps maps maps.......:celebrate :celebrate