The Ultimate Sacrifice...

RDU Neil

This is referred to in comics all the time. It is done well in many DC comics, where the sense of "legacy" is strong. Heroes falling in battle... dying to save the world, or maybe just one little girl from a collapsing wall. In Millenium City, which is based on the destruction of Detroit... I understand there will be a memorial to the heroes that fell in battle with Dr. Destroyer.

My world has similar events in the "history" write-ups. PC origins often start with picking up the mantle of a fallen hero...

... but has anyone ever ROLE PLAYED out the great event? Has a player in your group ever managed to sacrifice themselves for the greater good? Even more so, has there ever been a "Doom Patrol" moment, where a team sacrificed itself, or went down fighting?

I'm not saying this should happen very often. Very RARELY, actually... but it should happen. I've had heroes die in battle, but rarely have I seen players pull the "I know it's certain death... but it must be done!" and pull a "Spock in the reactor chamber" moment.

"He's dead already!"

Funny thing is... very few of my players dwell on the sacrifice. They have lost charcters... and they just move on. Only one players has ever "role played" building monuments, going to funerals, etc. Both times, it was when important NPCs died. Others have made tough decisions, retired or whatever... but rarely do they seem to go for the "blaze of glory" kind of ending.

I wonder at the gamer psychology behind this... as to me, how you die is a very important aspect of being a hero. Maybe I'm just weird that way... but I think this genre/style is steeped in the "ultimate sacrifice" concept, but if so... why don't we see it happen more, in games?

If any of you have stories about true, heroic moments of sacrifice in your games, I'd love to hear them.

We did.

One of my characters, Omega Man, was part of a team that went to a "death world" in orbit over earth.

Set Up: The bad guys, just called "Bones" are like the Green Lantern Corps of Judge Deaths. They are out to wipe out all life in the universe because life leads to evil, crime, bad checks, whatever.

After years of defeating the various Bones assigned to our area of space, they whole Bones World (like Oa... we called it BOa as a joke) came to earth and got ready to wipe it out for good.

The Action: The team goes to the world to take it out. It's a rough battle because these things normally give us a run for the money 1 vs all of us.

When the heroes manages to get close to the center of their power, the "Hal Jordan" of the Bones shows up and starts kicking ass. Now these things have a death touch that worked over time as their big hit, but we had figured out that it took time for them to get it going... it rarely landed on anyone because the Bones had plenty of other powers to mess most everyone up. This one was even more powerful and could have probably slaughtered most of the group.

Omega Man was basically Captain Marvel (Shazam) with the powers of the entire egyptian pantheon at his command.

Omega Man squared off with the Master Bones, knee deep in an acid pit (which hurt) and knowing that such a prolonged combat would certainly result in the death touch, just basically buying time for the others to do their thing and take out the power source.

It was one hell of a fight. It was downright epic. With attacks vs vulnerabilities and attacks that went around high defenses... it was nearly frightening as body totals were ticked off little by little...

Bones finally fell, thanks to his vulnerability to holy things (Omega Man was basicaly considered a god) and Omega Man staggered up out of the acid. The device was planted and everyone was rushing back to help... and Omega Man fell.

The Bones world was defeated.

There was a small memorial erected in his home city.

... Months later a new Omega Man appeared. He looked like the same guy, but it wasn't him (and lacked the experience points). The artifacts which granted him the power found their way into another's hands. Everyone assumed that he found a way back & he never explained himself...but he did enjoy some of the benefits of being known as the hero who gave his all in the ultimate sacrifice, a legacy he would strive never to taint.

Other Bones from other areas of space began working their way to earth... and Omega Man was always there to face them.

I had a character I wanted to go out that way, and the GM fudged it so I survived.

Playing Mage, and my character had stuffed up big time, basically landing everyone in Hell (literally, not figuratively)

We managed to survive long enough to work out how to escape, and began opening a portal. This, of course, attracted denizens from far and wide. My character decided that since he was responsible for the predicament he would hold off the horde while others made their escape.

My intention was that he should sacrifice himself in defense of his comrades as a form of redemption, so I cast a final BIG effect and powered it with my life-force (ie all my health levels. I drove a dagger through my heart). Effect was successful, everyone escaped, but the GM ruled that I had missed my heart and was therefore only critically wounded. I had to take him aside and let him know what I had been planning to do.

Come to think of it, he's done similar things in many games, fudging so that characters survive.

oberon

Re: The Ultimate Sacrifice...

Originally posted by RDU Neil

This is referred to in comics all the time. It is done well in many DC comics, where the sense of "legacy" is strong. Heroes falling in battle... dying to save the world, or maybe just one little girl from a collapsing wall. In Millenium City, which is based on the destruction of Detroit... I understand there will be a memorial to the heroes that fell in battle with Dr. Destroyer.

*SNIP*

I wonder at the gamer psychology behind this... as to me, how you die is a very important aspect of being a hero. Maybe I'm just weird that way... but I think this genre/style is steeped in the "ultimate sacrifice" concept, but if so... why don't we see it happen more, in games?

If any of you have stories about true, heroic moments of sacrifice in your games, I'd love to hear them.

I read this last night, but wanted to put some thought into it. This is the sort of thing that makes the game mesh with the comics (our inspiration afterall). There have been three cases in the game when this has happened and I have littered the New Campaign history with this sort of thing. The City of Trinity (our campaign city) exists as is does today because of the heroic sacrifice of Minneapolis' sole hero. He died trying to stop a villain of much greater power from spreading the destruction further.

PCs have also made the ultimate sacrifice.

In one game, my character stayed behind to activate a force field that would contain a nuclear blast. The blast destroyed the White House and my character died, his hand pressed against the force field as his team mates watched his final moments, keeping the field active to spare the city of washington from destruction. Players actually cried... it was nice.

Another campaign had a Demon looking for redemption, he sacrificed himself to save all life on earth from his father (Satan).

The third example was of a street level hero with a baseball bat named Paladin. Paladin destroyed a device that would split the time stream and destroy the universe. The punk kid with delusions of knighthood showed the entire team what sacrifice meant.

Originally posted by oberon

I had a character I wanted to go out that way, and the GM fudged it so I survived.

Playing Mage, and my character had stuffed up big time, basically landing everyone in Hell (literally, not figuratively)

We managed to survive long enough to work out how to escape, and began opening a portal. This, of course, attracted denizens from far and wide. My character decided that since he was responsible for the predicament he would hold off the horde while others made their escape.

My intention was that he should sacrifice himself in defense of his comrades as a form of redemption, so I cast a final BIG effect and powered it with my life-force (ie all my health levels. I drove a dagger through my heart). Effect was successful, everyone escaped, but the GM ruled that I had missed my heart and was therefore only critically wounded. I had to take him aside and let him know what I had been planning to do.

Come to think of it, he's done similar things in many games, fudging so that characters survive.

oberon

Oberon,

AAAAAHHHH!!! I think that would have caused a fist fight, if I'd been you. :D

That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, and the GM fudges it so you LIVE! AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

To me that is a GM who has no sense of drama or closure or story telling in general. They don't deserve to GM. Ugh.

Better luck next time with the glorious death! :D

Re: Re: The Ultimate Sacrifice...

Originally posted by MisterVimes

I read this last night, but wanted to put some thought into it. This is the sort of thing that makes the game mesh with the comics (our inspiration afterall). There have been three cases in the game when this has happened and I have littered the New Campaign history with this sort of thing. The City of Trinity (our campaign city) exists as is does today because of the heroic sacrifice of Minneapolis' sole hero. He died trying to stop a villain of much greater power from spreading the destruction further.

PCs have also made the ultimate sacrifice.

In one game, my character stayed behind to activate a force field that would contain a nuclear blast. The blast destroyed the White House and my character died, his hand pressed against the force field as his team mates watched his final moments, keeping the field active to spare the city of washington from destruction. Players actually cried... it was nice.

Another campaign had a Demon looking for redemption, he sacrificed himself to save all life on earth from his father (Satan).

The third example was of a street level hero with a baseball bat named Paladin. Paladin destroyed a device that would split the time stream and destroy the universe. The punk kid with delusions of knighthood showed the entire team what sacrifice meant.

Now those are good stories. Those are the stories you look back on, and realize that you've created some myths in your game. Those stories are why I game.

Thank you.

(Oh... and yes, Storn... the ultimate sacrifice is always a motivation for me... though with Cyber Blade, the reason would have to be very personal. She's too much the mercenary to do it for some abstract "better world" or people she doesn't know.

Pulse, on the other hand...)

Re: Re: Re: The Ultimate Sacrifice...

Now those are good stories. Those are the stories you look back on, and realize that you've created some myths in your game. Those stories are why I game.

Thank you.

Thanks... as an addendum, before my Hero died in the nuclear blast, the players had been preparing to celebrate christmas. We expected the whole night just to be some 'catch-up' roleplaying. We decorated the HQ and built a sleigh and flew it over the city and were just really silly in-play. Then the call came over the wire and we went from great joy to great sadness. When they returned to the HQ, the GM was careful to describe the deatils of the decorated HQ to players...

There is no poiniancy so great as the tradgedy that follow a moment of joy.

Re: Re: Re: The Ultimate Sacrifice...

Thank you.

(Oh... and yes, Storn... the ultimate sacrifice is always a motivation for me... though with Cyber Blade, the reason would have to be very personal. She's too much the mercenary to do it for some abstract "better world" or people she doesn't know.

Pulse, on the other hand...)

seems to me, that I do recall wiping out a whole group of fantasy characters.... but it wasn't very glorious (and some phenominal bad luck on the players fault). But that was sorta part of the game . What it did do was elevated the bad guys into a whole lot of success for them and changed the world a bit.

I too, liked the baseball bat Paladin saving the universe. That is kinda cool. It all came down to a Louisville Slugger at the right place at the wrong time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ultimate Sacrifice...

Originally posted by Storn

I too, liked the baseball bat Paladin saving the universe. That is kinda cool. It all came down to a Louisville Slugger at the right place at the wrong time.

That was the great thing about the player. He was a very quiet and humble guy IRL and Paladin was soft-spoken but with a fire to do what was right. He (and I think the Player) never thought Paladin would measure up. When he swung that bat I looked at him with an unspoken question of "You sure?" and he just nodded (no one else caught it) and then the world went BLOOEY!

The party was stunned. His next Character eventually became the team leader and IRL he started dating the prettiest girl at our game... Funny how little things turn everything around.

The Ultimate Sacrifice...

Originally posted by Storn

seems to me, that I do recall wiping out a whole group of fantasy characters.... but it wasn't very glorious (and some phenominal bad luck on the players fault). But that was sorta part of the game . What it did do was elevated the bad guys into a whole lot of success for them and changed the world a bit.

Hey... getting slaughtered because we bite off more than we can chew in a fantasy campaign is par for the course. Not what I'd call the "ultimate sacrifice" but just the price you pay. Live by the sword... die by the necromantic magic. Comse comsa.

Now, in that same fantasy campaign, I DID get one of my few shots at a meaningful death. I'm referring to the female sword-dancer I played. Female human, young, misused and misguided. (I'm ashamed to say I can't remember her name... )She was an assassin, who inadvertently got the party held for execution by the high elves, because she didn't know the people she was working for wanted the Elf Queen dead. She had a strong sense of honor, and was trapped by her code to try and complete the assassination, but didn't want her new friends to pay the price. She came up with a single option. She openly challenged the Queen to battle, using Elven law to ensure that if she succeeded in slaying the Queen's champion, the Queen forfeited her life with no repercussions on the party... and if she failed, well she would die and the party would still go free.

This wasn't the 50/50 chance it sounds, either. In this campaign, the elves were truly superior to humans. They were faster, stronger, and had centuries to learn and perfect combat skills. My character was one of the finest duelists in the land... and she wasn't even CLOSE to the ability of the Captain of the Light Guard who championed the queen. My sword dancer fought with a twirling, spinning, two bladed style. The elven champion, also female, fought with a single straight sword, in a style of absolute stillness and precision.

The fight lasted eleven seconds. My character managed to nick the elven champion's shoulder, parry one thrust, then took a crippling shot to the stomach. The elf offered me a chance to surrender, but it would have violated the terms. My character declined, took a staggering swing... and then stared at the length of mithril steel thrust though her heart. She smiled, her lasts words, "So beautiful..." in reference to the precision of the sword strike... and then it was over.

It was a great moment. Eric, playing a half orc ranger who had fallen for the beautiful warrior child was distraught. Rick, who's elf character had over reacted to the situation, and put my character into this predicament, was stunned and shamed.

It was a good death.

My proudest moment as a player was when my Silver Age Champion knew that a death ray was going to be shot at the UN. He knew what angle it was going to come from, but not the point of origin. So, while everyone else is fanning out to try and find the point of origin, Champion parked himself directly in the path of the death ray. We found the delivery system (a group of reflective kites), but not before Champion took 7D6 AP killing to the chest. He managed to say "Leaping 'Lectrons" before succumbing to unconsciousness. People started to chuckle at my character's pain (I was playing it up for yucks) until the GM pointed out that my character took 7D6 AP killing to the chest... and lived.

My Golden Age Champion does this for his team-mates all the time (as the only brick in the group he feels it's his responsibility when he sees the Scarab Sorceress about to take 12D6 against her 19 ED), but the GM never used any death-rays so it's not so dramatic.

Oberon,

AAAAAHHHH!!! I think that would have caused a fist fight, if I'd been you. :D

That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, and the GM fudges it so you LIVE! AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

To me that is a GM who has no sense of drama or closure or story telling in general. They don't deserve to GM. Ugh.

Better luck next time with the glorious death! :D

That's the weird thing, he's actually one of the best storytellers I've gamed with (apart from a good friend, hell, I was best man at his wedding :) )

He actually tells stories for a living (assistant children's librarian) and he's brilliant at evoking moods. He'll happily kill off supporting cast, but he seems to have an aversion to characters dying.

It's something I can understand. I used to play in a group where one of the characters died. The player started a blazing row and stormed out of the house, never to be seen again. Personally that's not something I could do. I have characters that I enjoy playing, but I don't get SO attached to them. If one of my characters dies, it's just an excuse for me to make another.

oberon

Glorious Death scenes

I have a similar scene in a Mekton campaign a friend of mine was running, but to truly understand the setting I need to give some background....this might take awhile, so bear with me...

It all started with our first Mekton campaign run by this Gm, in which all but one of the PCs was killed off by the bad guys, I was the lone survivor, My online ID is that character's name by the way. The story revolved around our group helping to build a one of a kind Mekton, kinda like Wing-Zero from Gundam, a machine that was just too advanced and powerful. I was meant to be the test pilot for the Mech, but before we were able to fully complete it we were attacked from multiple enemy organizations and the creator of said prototype was murdered and I was blasted in the face with a blaster (I barely survived). The prototype was then stolen by one of the other party members who flew off in it and blew it to kingdom come.

Now in the new campaign, my character, under a new identity, joined with a new group of PCs and after quite a few adventures gang up with the daughter of the original X1s designer, who rebuilds the X1, which gets stolen, we retrieve it but no one has the guts to ever pilot, it is considered a death trap, which it is, until we are forced to rescue an NPC who my character was madly in lust with. So the whole group assaults the moonbase and rescue the damsel in distress, who then turns out to be a stark raving loony, ala Akira power level psionic mind control, the Team leader who was warned about her and told she must die tries to kill her, but me being a psychopath myself stop him and tell him to get everyone out before the entire Eath Defense Forces show up, which they were about to do, and after much thought tell everyone to get the hell out of here I'll stop them in the X1. After a very long and drawn out battle, everyone gets out and as the ship is about to warp out, THe X1, severely damaged but still in one piece lands in the hanger. When they finally get the nerve to open the cockpit, and hose out my remains...yes there was that little left of me..think of a vehicle that can move at about mach 10 and turn on a literal dime, yet the cockpit has NO inertial dampening system, I was little more than a red goo...

But Chance's legacy lived on, i got to tape a message to each of the other PCs, as well as the NPCs. And a good cry was had by all at my seeming noble sacrifice.

What I didn't say was that if I had survived that battle I would have ended up slaughtering anyone who had even threatened the love of my life :D

But I decided discression was the better part of valor, that and some of the other Player's would have gotten really pissed off.:D

I don't get to play often -- I mostly GM -- but there was one time when one of my characters did make the ultimate sacrifice. It was in a game of Mage (don't remember which version, it's been a while) and I was playinga Bjorner mage (they're the shapeshifters).

In this particular situation, our small party of three found ourselves facing a frickin' big demon lord who was about to enter the physical world and dish out much death & destruction. We'd tried to fight it, but frankly didn't have anything that could do more than scratch it. Beaten & exhausted, we're facing it, the last line between it & the world, when I get an idea. I check back through the spells my character knows, check a couple of references in the book...and inform the GM I'm casting a major Transformation spell (can't remember the exact spell name).

The GM looks startled, checks the book, and after taking all odds into account, agrees I've got a better than even odds of having the spell affect the demon, turning him into a duck, chicken, cockroach, or whatever...then he starts chuckling evilly and says, "But you don't have all the materials you need to cast the spell! You don't have the heart of a shape-shifting creature as one of the consumable components!!"

I just smiled a bit and said "Oh yes I do," and tapped my chest.

The look on his face was priceless.

I cast the spell successfully, too. :) End of my character, but end of demonic threat as well.

Most of our heroic sacrifices happened in fantasy games. Not that there wasn't a lot of death happening in the Champions games, it was more "oops! I just rolled 30 body on a 5d6 RKA..."

One game run by Bob Handley was a Viking game. We were somewhat atypical vikings in that we didn't do nearly that much pillaging a raping. However as time went on and we got tougher and tougher, we would we at a point where we could make a heroic stand and go to Valhalla. Well, none of the party was going to stand for that so we generally didn't do any sacrificing. And if it was a mission for the Jarl that was fraught with danger, we'd often wind up in a fist fight on who got to go.

Then we all had a chance to stop a group of giants from bringing world destruction. We stopped their spell, but we all died.

The GM, just had us doing our adventures in Valhalla after that.

Of course, in superhero games, death is rarely perminant. Who's stayed dead all these years except for Uncle Ben, the Flash (Barry Allen) and Bucky? It's a standard genre convention that if a hero goes down with the ship, he or she will probably be back. It's a wonderful dramatic opportunity for the campaign and can give a player a break from a character that they still love, but want to try something different for a while.

Look at who's back these days. Hal Jordan/Green Lantern is now the Specter. Green Arrow is back. Hawkman is back (even if everybody is still confused about who he was). Superman was dead, but got better. Most of Marvels heroes were thought dead, shunted to a pocket universe, died multiple times and finally came home.

Death, it's not the end, it's more of a vacation. ;)

Originally posted by Law Dog

Of course, in superhero games, death is rarely perminant. Who's stayed dead all these years except for Uncle Ben, the Flash (Barry Allen) and Bucky? It's a standard genre convention that if a hero goes down with the ship, he or she will probably be back. It's a wonderful dramatic opportunity for the campaign and can give a player a break from a character that they still love, but want to try something different for a while.

Look at who's back these days. Hal Jordan/Green Lantern is now the Specter. Green Arrow is back. Hawkman is back (even if everybody is still confused about who he was). Superman was dead, but got better. Most of Marvels heroes were thought dead, shunted to a pocket universe, died multiple times and finally came home.

Death, it's not the end, it's more of a vacation. ;)

Mar-Vell

Died of Cancer, my favorite hero died of Cancer, no ultimate sacrifice, just quietly died surrounded by friends and foes in the first Graphic Novel. Was the hardest thing I ever read. He has made a few appearances from beyond the grave since then, but he is still dead. My favorite characters die. Colossus, Mar-Vell. Its annoying.

I had a character who tried for the ultimate sacrifice. He took the the evil artifact that was going to rewrite the universe and crushed it in his hands. He and the artifact turned to dust. It was kind of like Colossus's death. No witnesses, they only had a vague sense that everything was okay and Triumph was gone.

This was several years ago, so the details are skechy, but in our game we had to face DEATH to get a stone of power that had the power to stop the main vilain. Death challenged us to a duel, our best vs his best, winner take all. My character was the team leader at the time, and although not the most powerfull, refused to let anyone under his comand take the risk. The GM asked me if I was sure, and said I didn't have a chance in hell(parden the pun). My guy did surprisingly well, the GM had underestimated how much more powerful we had become and, due to a few suprising rolls of the dice, had to improvise in the middle of the fight. After my guy had knocked his guy out, DEATH resurected him even more powerful than before. My team mates wanted to jump in the fight claiming DEATH had cheated, but as it happened my guy was the tipical martial artist, Honorable, Code of the chinese master. He wouldn't alow his team mates to step in. In the end as DEATH's champion was about to place the final blow, DEATH stoped the match. As a reward for my character's honorable actions, we recieved the stone. I remember my hand was shaking with every roll of the dice. This was my first ever character, and the thought of him dying was hard to handle. Funny thing is, later on in the game we found that the only way to beat the vilain and save the world, was for one of us to take the stone of power and jump into a rift in reality that the vilain had formed. My character never even asked the others, he just picked up the stone and jumped in. I felt it was fitting.

Over the years I've looked at that old character sheet several times. He was by far the worst written character I've ever played. He broke all the "it just doesn't make sense" rules. But he will always be my favorite, because he was my first. And because he made the ultimate sacrifice.

Ultimate Sacrifice

It happened quite a bit in ours with the death bit.

Darklight was hit by a death ray as she tried to dive for cover and bought it. The raid the characters did to avenge her ended with another of the younger team mates dying. That was Sunshine.

The Great Alfonso was killed by Dr Spite aka Arsenic who had been burned to death by Alfonso's power previously.

In each case there were funerals. The team remembered and honoured its dead.

but the one time we did an Ultimate Sacrifice was when the group battled Deadline who were like the villains in the Justice League some years back. Kaotik who was a villainous version of another member of our team shot his whole essence at the Magnetic Mistress. Despite all the defenses thrown up to try and protect her, she was still hit and died. The funeral was roleplayed out. Sad business.

Re: The Ultimate Sacrifice...

... but has anyone ever ROLE PLAYED out the great event? Has a player in your group ever managed to sacrifice themselves for the greater good? Even more so, has there ever been a "Doom Patrol" moment, where a team sacrificed itself, or went down fighting?

I tried to, but the dice were against me. Our team was fighting a villain team called the "Natural Disasters". In the area where the fight was going on, one of the bad guys had brought down a pea soup thick fog, and our team members were being picked off one by one while the city was being destroyed. My character was up on the roof of a 30 storey building. The next building over was only 10 storeys, and my character suspected that the fog creating guy might be somewhere in the fog over the 10 storey building. So, she decided to sacrfice herself to save the city, listeed to try and figure out where the bad guy might be, and then took a running leap off the building at where she thought the guy was.

To my satisfaction, she did manage to grab the guy, but the impact knocked him out and they fell 17 storeys to the rooftop below. To my disappointment, my character survived, after hitting the roof and going through to the 8th floor of the building.

She was in the hospital for a couple weeks afterwards, and woke up to the news still showing the amateur video footage of her hitting the bad guy (he was under the bank of fog) and the two of them falling into the building. :)

I had one of those noble endings for one of my favorite characters. There was a master villain who was based from a different reality/dimension. This guy was on par with dark side or apocalypse… very nasty and there was no way we were going to win. Once we arrived he set this huge army of skeletons against us. All the players were having a grand old time killing these poor weak automations forgetting that we had a mission. My character had powers like super man only one at a time (like Ultra boy) My character flew past this huge army of skeletons survived half a dozen very powerful magic arrows to get to the master villain way before everyone else. When I get there the GM is shaking his head realizing that he is going to have to slaughter my character. But instead of attacking the big bad guy I offer him a deal. He stays away from earth’s realm and release my comrades and I will serve him. The GM is left speechless. The bad guy takes my character up on the offer and EDT’s the group back to earth. Where I serve this guy for a long time….

About two years later in the real world there is more to the story but that is for another day.

Never has so much fun playing a disadvantage in all my life the character had “Loyal to team mates†at the total level

Peace

Bryan