Putting on Power Armor

bigdamnhero

How long does it (or how long should it) take to get into power armor? I'm looking both from a game mechanics and a comics fanboy persepective here. On the one extreme, I can remember old Iron Mans where Tony pops open his little briefcase and the suit all but flies onto his body in the space of one panel. On the other extreme, Iron Man ala the Ultimates takes several minutes to suit up even with the assistance of a full "pit crew."

By the book, OIF takes 1 turn to take away from a character; so by extention should it take about 1 turn to suit up?

As a corollory, should a player who takes OIF Power Armor get a larger lim if he defines his armor as taking a couple minutes to put on? If so, how many seems about right?

bigdamnhero

"I've been thinking with my gut since I was fourteen, and frankly I've come to the conclusion that my guts

have $#!& for brains."

Re: Putting on Power Armor

Realize this comes from my old power gamer days that SL has specifically said are the "way of no fun", but we used to apply limitations to Powered Armors to specificially address this issue. As a corrallary these concepts applied to OIHID's as well.

So you could take OIF, ! Turn Set Up (Sustained Version), 1/2 DCV and get a 1 3/4 Limitation on your powers (BBB Rules mind you). But that meant of course that you were 1/2 DCV (normal human DEX only!) hopping around and trying to put on your armor in the Turn. Sure it only took 12 seconds of Game Time, but as we all know 12 Seconds is life and death in HERO.

As I am now I would not allow this limitation stacking at all. But then I lean more towards a Pointless System of HERO these days so Limitations matter less than before.

Hawksmoor

I make characters take one phase to change into costume. Realistic? No, but it is one Silver Age aspect I've incorporated into my games and it saves me a lot of hassle. A suit of power armor is just as easy to put on as really tight spandex (No hopping around trying to get a waistband over her hips for Ms. Wonderful!) unless the player asks that it be other wise. Rationale can be 'smart clamps', instant magnetic sealing, or lots and lots of practice at this... whatever.

Of course, foci have their own problems (Can be stolen, etc) that because it is a limitation is more likely to have serious game effects.

If a player wanted a slower 'change time'... I might, instead of going with a limitation, suggest a disadvantage (Possibly a physical limitation) to show how it will take longer to access their super heroic side. In a way, it would almost be the reverse of Accidental Change.

Technically it takes one turn out of combat to put on or take off an OIF focus (I am going on memory for that bit of info). However if the armor you are talking about is something that the character would have to be cut out of, in order to take it away from them, this it is more likely to be an OIHD limitation instead. In the latter case you can specify whatever amount of time you want but I would figure a couple of turns at least, perhaps even a minute or two.

try "real arrmor" lim 1/4

OK, now that's just too easy. :D:thumbup:

If we consider power armor in terms of Ye Olde Suite of Armour, FH says:

"Putting on an entire suit of cloth/hide, leather...scale or chain armor takes four Phases.

Donning an entire suit of plate takes 5 Minutes -- 1 Minute for the torso, and 1 Minute for each limb. If the character does not have at least one helper, triple these times."

Given that power armor is by definition more advanced than fantasy armor, I can see using the 4 phases rule, which is very close to the 1 turn OIF rules anyway (faster for higher-SPD supers, obviously).

Cool - thanks for the help all!

bigdamnhero

"I'll die."

"Well, as a courtesy, you might start getting busy on that, cause all this chatter ain't doin' me any kindness."

i guess i should try and pick up FH 5th. there are some nice aspects to real armor like the need to repairer and maintain it that might cause problems if the character is stuck in the Amazon or the moon for a long time. i would however think that we are taking minuets not turns to get in and out of powered armorer say 5 min unassisted 2min with help

IMO

PS thanks for the rep

PSS i like the Iron Age aspect to this use of the lim.

i would however think that we are taking minuets not turns to get in and out of powered armorer say 5 min unassisted 2min with help

IMO

For an iron age game, I'd tend to agree. But my campaign is more bronzish, so we'll probably assume that part of the power is that the armor helps you dress yourself. Besides, from a gaming standpoint, I really don't want to have one PC miss half of the combats because he's still getting suited up 4 turns after the fight is over.

by the way HD will not allow real armor on a non defense powers

Yeah, I guess you'd have to do it as a custom mod.

bigdamnhero

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!"

The more I think about it, and the more variations I see here on the boards suggesting some use of it, the more I think that "Real _______" should be an extra -1/4 limit option listed with focus... pretty much anything could have "real" faults and characteristics, or not have them as applicable to superheroic or cinematic reality

The more I think about it' date=' and the more variations I see here on the boards suggesting some use of it, the more I think that "Real _______" should be an extra -1/4 limit option listed with focus... pretty much anything could have "real" faults and characteristics, or not have them as applicable to superheroic or cinematic reality[/quote']

Yeah, that does seem to make sense now that you put it that way.

bigdamnhero

"Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?"

I tend to lean towards the 1 Turn myself. If it takes a full Phase to activate OIHID powers for a -¼ Limitation; it only makes sense for the next step up in limitation value to take the next step up on the Time Chart. Especially since a typical PA hero can largely nullify the time required by arriving at most fight scenes already suited up. (I know firsthand; my first PC was a Powered Armor-type named Ranger who I played for 4 years.) Twelve seconds is not unreasonable to put on a full bodysuit, gloves, boots, and a helmet.

To Kav:

Yes and no.

It applies to a Focus in a way that makes it more well real than a typical power construction (focus) would be. You add the Real Weapon limitation on to model a weapon or armor more accurately. FOREX if you add Real Armor to your OIF Armor and are summarily dunked in a a tank filled with vicious man eating sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads. After you fight your way out you have to deal with waterlogged armor that chafes, sits poorly and just, might start falling apart.

Without this limitation you just keep on rock and rolling.

Hawksmoor

Our house rule is that any costume change requires 1 turn, just to be slightly more realistic and to encourage characters to be creative when they get caught in their Secret ID, or force them to make a decision about revealing their ID in a dramatic fashion. It just makes for better role-playing in my experience.

As for giving the character a break for having to take a long time to get into armor (or any other ID change) I would lean toward the using a Disad rather than a limitation, because you are already likely to have OIHID or a focus limitation on the powers bought through the armor, no need to give an even greater bonus which would just encourage abuse in my eyes.

"Uh, Joel, what is Ator sitting on?" - Crow

To Kav:

Yes and no.

It applies to a Focus in a way that makes it more well real than a typical power construction (focus) would be. You add the Real Weapon limitation on to model a weapon or armor more accurately. FOR EX if you add Real Armor to your OIF Armor and are summarily dunked in a a tank filled with vicious man eating sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads. After you fight your way out you have to deal with waterlogged armor that chafes, sits poorly and just, might start falling apart.

Without this limitation you just keep on rock and rolling.

Hawksmoor

yes absolutely but i do not think that it would mater any less if you purchased your powered armorer as only in hero ID or as IIF instead of as OIF the effects of real powered armor would remain the same

I use a house rule where armor up/down time is going to vary by how complex the armor is, something akin to Imperial Stormtrooper armor is going to be a lot quicker to get in and out of then a set of Mobile Infantry Armor or an Elemental Suit

most realistic suits i design are going to have an inner suit which is an insulated garment with various sensor pads and other connections, and the armor goes on around it or the wearer climbs in it

Guest Major Tom

there was an article in Traveller Digest about Battle Dress' date=' theres an undergarment that shows it involving a frame that allows battle dress to be put on by 2 people or 1 in an emergency, its not something thats done in a hurry either way, I can see if I dig up a more detailed description[/quote']

I've got that article myself, but not in front of me at this moment. IIRC, I

think that it took between 10 and 15 minutes for an unassisted battlesuit

trooper to get into the battle dress, and roughly half as long with assist-

ance. Both times assume that the user does at least have access to a

mounting frame.

One other method of getting 'armored up' was shown in the TV-movie Exo-

Man, in which a paraplegic scientist had invented a suit that would enable

him to walk, and which also gave him increased strength (enough to rip open

a locked wall safe). The inventor would get into a recessed portion of a large

platform and, once in position, would activate a mechanism that lowered a

cover that also had a recessed space. Once both parts of the platform were

connected, the halves of the suit that were in each half of the platform would