Help with Werewolves

GoldenAge

Please help!

I'm starting a new Fantasy game this Sat. night. My player character is a priest stricken with lycanthropy (its an unusual game).

Does anyone out there have a good write-up for a werewolf? I'd love to see what others have done to gage what I'm trying to create. I appreciate anything you all can contribute. :)

Thanks!

Re: Help with Werewolves

There's a full write up in the Bestiary which covers it. If you're looking for something more detailed, you can do a quick & easy conversion from the d20 SRD under Lycanthropy which will also answer the question. There's no one "right way" to do it; most people purchase it as a multiform, and Lycanthropy itself as a disease.

All in all you have three major elements to consider:

1) What forces the change? There are many kinds of Lycanthropes, from the usual "Full Moon" to having the option, to being enraged, etc. There's as many ways to force a Transform as you can think of. So, first question, how do you change?

1a) How do you change back?

2) What are the extent of your immunities? Silver? Other diseases? How dangerous are you? When transformed are you Berserk and thus a threat to the party, or do you just have the advantage of being 10' of raging towering muscle?

In HERO an absolute immunity is built using 75% DR except against Silver, followed by a bunch of Armor except Silver. These two things tend to give a very (VERY) generous representation of how a Werewolf is harmed - ONLY by Silver. According to White Wolf, they're hurt by anything, but have a Speed Regen that's off the hizzy. And, in d20, they're hurt by anything that hits hard enough (10 pts. Damage Reduction) but have no Defense against Silver. In other words, Silver is simply going to kill them at the regular rate.

3) Finally, the cool part - what powers do you have in mind for this version of Lycanthropy? My campaign was built on the d20 structure, so it keeps 99% of the structure of that setting. If you look up the SRD entry you'll see in short order they cover everything, you just have to spend a little time converting it into HERO terms. I need to do it myself, but today ain't quite that day yet. I'm still hopped up on Vicadin and can only think clearly in short bursts. :D

Hope some/any of that helps.

Matthew Ignash has created several Package Deals for werewolves inspired by various sources on his personal website: AD&D, Palladium RPG, and the movie Underworld:

AD&D style

Palladium style

Underworld style

BTW I highly recommend Matt's Champions Page where I found those links - tons of great stuff there, from many sources for several genres. I must warn you, though, that the links on that page are sometimes cranky, and make take you to his homepage instead. Just go Back and try the link again.

Thanks for the help guys. I know I can always count on you.

I have 1 question though. The examples of Werewolves were invariably created as racial packages. I was under the impression that being a Werewolf would be a type of Multiform (ala Hulk and/or Jekyll/Hyde). What am I missing?:confused:

Please explain. I'm an old-timer who obviously hasn't spent enough time with 5th Edition. :rolleyes:

Um...well my version is done with a Multiform:

17 Lycanthropic (Wolf & Manwolf Form: Multiform (125 Character Points in the most expensive form) (Instant Change, x2 Number Of Forms) (35 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only To Change; -1/2), Reversion (-1/2)

It just happens to be included in a Race Package Deal to represent a person that is BORN with lycanthropy.

If you want more of the viral / curse sort of Lycanthropy I include an option for that as well:

Lycanthropy

NOTE: This form of Lycanthropy is hereditary, passed along via bloodlines. For a form of Lycanthropy that can also infect others add the following Power to the Wolf and Wolfman forms. The Activation Roll indicates that it's largely random; sometimes it happens and somtimes it doesnt. The Jammed represents that if the Activation Roll fails then repeated bites on the same target in the same engagment will have no effect.

10 Lycanthropic Curse: Major Transform 1d6 (Person into a Werewolf), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (60 Active Points); Activation Roll 8-, Jammed (-2 1/2), No Conscious Control (-2), Must Bite Target (Bite; -1/4)

Which would basically use the rules for adding abilities to a character to add the Race Package to the infected / cursed person.

Thanks for the help guys. I know I can always count on you.

I have 1 question though. The examples of Werewolves were invariably created as racial packages. I was under the impression that being a Werewolf would be a type of Multiform (ala Hulk and/or Jekyll/Hyde). What am I missing?:confused:

Please explain. I'm an old-timer who obviously hasn't spent enough time with 5th Edition. :rolleyes:

As usual, there's more than one way to do things in HERO. ;)

While I'm not presuming to speak for Matt Ignash, I feel confident in observing that the Package Deals he designed are for characters who can for the most part control their change from human to were form, and retain their normal intelligence, knowledge and personality while in a more bestial form. The advantage of the Package approach is that you can just graft this onto any other character template you like, quickly and easily.

OTOH the writeups provided by Mike Surbrook aren't Packages but full character sheets, without any innate ability to change form (e.g. Shape Shift). These writeups would be suitable for use as an alternate form in a Multiform just by calculating the points required, and could be significantly different from the base character. You can also Limit the Multiform as with the suggestions for the Power in the 5E rulebook, to make the change partly or wholly out of the character's control.

It pretty much depends on how you want lycanthropy to function in your campaign. :)

OTOH the writeups provided by Mike Surbrook aren't Packages but full character sheets' date=' without any innate ability to change form (e.g. Shape Shift). These writeups would be suitable for use as an alternate form in a Multiform just by calculating the points required, and could be significantly different from the base character. You can also Limit the Multiform as with the suggestions for the Power in the 5E rulebook, to make the change partly or wholly out of the character's control.[/quote']

Correct. The character sheets represent the wolf form. How you get there is up to you, but in both cases, I recall recommending using Multiform. Ultimate Metamorph has some great material on how to set up such a thing, with expanded limitations and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually working on a full conversion of White Wolf's Werewolves a while back, but I got bogged down in the Gifts (got boring). I'll have to see if I can find the part on their standard powers. It was challenging, but not extremely difficult. There are some web pages out there listing similar conversions IIRC.

I was actually working on a full conversion of White Wolf's Werewolves a while back' date=' but I got bogged down in the Gifts (got boring). I'll have to see if I can find the part on their standard powers. It was challenging, but not extremely difficult. There are some web pages out there listing similar conversions IIRC.[/quote']

Here's one:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/whitewolf/WODwerewolf.html

• 6 years later...

Hi, I'm a first time player...new to the Hero system and seeing this thread someone might be able to help me with this idea I have in mind. I'm getting ready to do a horror/urban fantasy and the werewolves I have in mind would have three forms: Human, Near-man form based on white wolf's werewolves (Increased Strength,Stamina, Dexterity. Regeneration,night vision and increased senses),And Wolf-Man form (More increased Strength etc....). Can anybody show me how to do this stat wise?

Hi' date=' I'm a first time player...new to the Hero system and seeing this thread someone might be able to help me with this idea I have in mind. I'm getting ready to do a horror/urban fantasy and the werewolves I have in mind would have three forms: Human, Near-man form based on white wolf's werewolves (Increased Strength,Stamina, Dexterity. Regeneration,night vision and increased senses),And Wolf-Man form (More increased Strength etc....). Can anybody show me how to do this stat wise?[/quote']

You have a Near-Man wofl form and a Wolf-Man form?

What are the differences, aside from one being stronger?

Choose a Base Form (usually human, but doesn't have to be), then give that form a Multiform Power that allows it to transform into the other two forms.

Alternately - you can create a suite of Powers for each form and let SFX take care of the rest - each set probably needs a Limitation "Requires X Time To Activate" to represent shifting. This is probably the more expensive and conceptually complex of the two options.

Homid: base character (duh)

Near-man (Glabro): Height is equivalent to 1 level of Growth. Stat bonuses equal +5 STR, +1 Dex, +2 Bod, +3 Con, +2PD, +2ED, +2REC, +10Stun, +10End, +3" Running, +2" leaping.

Wolf-man (Crinos): Height is equivalent to 2 levels of Growth. Stat bonuses equal +10STR, +3 Dex, +5 Bod, +5 Con, +5 PD, +5 ED, +5 REC, +20 Stun, +10 End, +4" Running, +5" Leaping.

Dire-wolf (Hispo): Size/Weight is equivalent to 1 level of Growth or Density Increase. Bonuses equal +10 STR, +3 Dex, +3 Bod, +3 Con, +3 PD, +3 ED, +3 REC, +10 Stun, +10 End, +5" Running, +5" Leaping

Wolf (Lupus): Size/mass is about 75% of Homid form. Bonuses equal +3 STR, +5 Dex, +3 Con, + 1 REC, +6" Running, +3" Leaping.

Standard Were-wolf abilities in any form are Damage Reduction (50% Physical and Energy), Damage Resistance (equal to their nomal PD and ED in each form, not vs Silver) and Regeneration at a Standard Effect of 1 Body per turn (cannot regenerate wounds caused by silver or magical damage, they must heal normally via Recovery per month)

The characters Rage stat could be a Charges Pool that fuels their powers (or could just be an Endurance Reserve) that only recovers when the character becomes angry or frustrated or after a designated period of time to represent normal day-to-day frustrations building up in the character. Werewolf gifts could easily be converted into Hero powers placed in a Multipool.

As Ghost Angel suggested, I would write this up as a Multi-form with each form being a different character sheet. I know you only requested Near-man and Wolf-man forms, but I added the Hispo and Lupus forms for spits-and-giggles.