Pulparize It!

Blue

Re: Pulparize It!

Hell' date=' one of my players specifically based his [i']Pulp HERO[/i] character on (the cartoon) Jackie Chan.

JG

I used the magic zodiac talismans from the cartoon (12 talismans, each one has a specific power) in my Champions campaign. One of the characters was a Chinese exchange student with some ties to the CIA (one of his contacts was an agent he had saved from a tong-sponsored cult sacrifice). This character was very into yin/yang karma, and I really caused havoc when he came in contact with the Tiger talisman (which claimed to be a balance to yin and yang karma). When he activated it, he realized that the talisman created balance by duplicating the holder, one "good" and one "evil". Being the character in the group with the highest OCV and DCV, his evil self pretty much desimated the rest of the PCs; his good self being the only challenge.

During the time that the character was split, his "friends" (the rest of the PCs) figured it would be a good idea to make contact with the martial artist's contacts and inform them that their friend might have gone bad.

Needless to say, by the end of one roleplaying session, the martial artist had completely lost control of his life. None of his contacts trusted him. Some of them ended up hunting him. He found out his "foster family" was actually a CIA plant, who decided to scrub the mission and disappear, leaving all their posessions (home, autos, fake jobs) in ruins. The martial artist returns to his "home" to find it burned to the ground, with his foster family missing, with him wanted by the police and the government.

All over a silly little magic talisman with a tiger symbol on it.

:ugly: Ah, the fun times...

Jak

Jak,

do you have a list if talismans and the powers they had?

A friend would really like that I think, as he has mentioned using them in a game.

I have a doc here with the list of the talismans, but I can't find all my notes here... I'll have to dig through my notes to find them at home. But for now, here's a document that has the list with some graphics, and some space for your friend to jot some of his own notes down.

Jak

Your doc won't open JakSpade. It just keeps giving me some error about graphics converters and such, then won't continue opening the document. Might be a problem only for me though.

From memory however: Dragon Talisman was combustion, the person holding it could shoot bursts of flame.

Pig Talisman: Heat beam eyeblasts. Essentially heat vision like Superman.

Rooster was levitation.

Rabbit was speed. When combined with the Rooster Talisman it gave true flight.

Dog was immortality.

Horse was healing.

Ox was strength.

Snake was invisibility.

Sheep was astral projection, which also let the person using it enter the dreams of sleeping people.

Rat was motion to the motionless. Basically it brought inanimate objects to life. Could theoretically allow quadrapalegics or parapeligics to walk again [the limbs in question ARE motionless after all] but that was not addressed on the show.

Monkey talisman turned people into animals.

Tiger was balance. As I recall, the duplication effect only happened when the talisman was broken.

The Last Samurai - Hit man Nat Algren is hired by a young mob boss to rub out a gang of troublemakers outside the city limits. He takes a band of tommygunners, but after a firefight he is the only attacker left alive. As their hostage he learns that they are the remnants of a gang of Old West gunfighters. They will not acquiesce to the mob boss, who does not respect the code of the gunfighter. After a time he comes to respect their old, romantics ways. They teach him the elegant lethality of the rifle and the handgun. In the end he stands with them as they boldly face an overwhelming band of tommygun assassins.

Your doc won't open JakSpade. It just keeps giving me some error about graphics converters and such, then won't continue opening the document. Might be a problem only for me though.

I've added a PDF version of the file to my above post. Only problem there is that you won't be able to edit it without the right tools. :(

Your explanation of the talismans is correct. I'll try to get more notes put together on them...

Jak

Jackie Chan Adventures: Change the timeline to 1930s-1940s Chinatown, and you've got everything you need. A reluctant hero, two scrappy kids, crabby uncle/master, the big tough guy repented with a heart of gold, and the masked Mexican wrestler... Add lots of mystical artifacts from various parts of the globe, martial arts mayhem, and what more can you ask for?

Jak

Brilliant idea! I loved that show!

Rep :thumpup: to you!

Heck, some of those artifacts/talismans would have also made for a great Champions adventure...

Brilliant idea! I loved that show!

Rep :thumpup: to you!

Heck, some of those artifacts/talismans would have also made for a great Champions adventure...

True enough Fenris. After all, it's quite easy to use the talismans to replicate most of Superman's power suite. Ox for Strength, Rabbit and Rooster give flight and superspeed. Immortality and Horse can substitute for Invulnerabilty somewhat and of course, the Pig is heat vision.

Or you can just find a rack of Superman action figures and use the Rat talisman. :D

I've added a PDF version of the file to my above post. Only problem there is that you won't be able to edit it without the right tools. :(

Your explanation of the talismans is correct. I'll try to get more notes put together on them...

Jak

Forgot to mention. In one episode Jade used the Tiger Talisman to track the air demon after he tricked her. It would require the person tracked to have part of something you have the other part of [for example, Jade had one half of a medallion, the demon the other.]

The Case Of The Jersey Devil: Hard-boiled gumshoe "Sureshot" Holmes and his partner "Doc" are called out of their usual haunts in NYC, down to the New Jersey Pine Barrens to deal with "The Jersey Devil"---at least, that's the story. But Sureshot isn't buying it; "I don't believe in ghosts, Doc."

Still, something is leaving BIG tracks around the ol' Basker home---and scaring members of the family to death! As the death toll mounts, Sureshot puts his brain, his shoe-leather, his persistance, his gat, and his moxie to work. In the end, the "Jersey Devil" is just a big ol' dog with some phosphorent paint, the whole plot got up by a cunning criminal mastermind; Sureshot's right, no ghosts involved. The dog lands up plugged, the bad guy swallowed up by one of the bogs dotting the Barrens.

All in a day's work for "the king of the PIs".

The Case Of The Jersey Devil: Hard-boiled gumshoe "Sureshot" Holmes and his partner "Doc" are called out of their usual haunts in NYC' date=' down to the New Jersey Pine Barrens to deal with "The Jersey Devil"---at least, that's the story. But Sureshot isn't buying it; "I don't believe in ghosts, Doc."[/quote']

Well, they did of course have the Sherlock Holmes movies back then. Although they probably weren't "Pulp."

JG

Well, they did of course have the Sherlock Holmes movies back then. Although they probably weren't "Pulp."

JG

Holmes was Fantastic Victoriana, which was one of the immediate precursors of the pulps.

The pulps themselves had tons of non-powered detectives, many of them built on the Holmes model.

Isn't Sherlock Holmes already a Pulp character? Genius-level intelligence' date=' oodles of scientific training, physically superior to a pro athlete (remember when he bent an iron poker in half?), and all the rest -- the only thing he couldn't do was use a gun.[/quote']

I know Watson usually handled the firearms, but I could swear Holmes carried a piece in one or two stories. Though he was no expert, presumably.

I watched the Jeremy Brett version of "The Final Problem" the other day. It struck me again how odd it was that the clash of two mental giants wound up in a plain ol' fistfight. Not to mention that Holmes's physical prowess, which you mention, was not enough to overcome a man most often portrayed as considerably older. I guess Moriarty was quite the bruiser, as well.

I know Watson usually handled the firearms, but I could swear Holmes carried a piece in one or two stories. Though he was no expert, presumably.

I watched the Jeremy Brett version of "The Final Problem" the other day. It struck me again how odd it was that the clash of two mental giants wound up in a plain ol' fistfight. Not to mention that Holmes's physical prowess, which you mention, was not enough to overcome a man most often portrayed as considerably older. I guess Moriarty was quite the bruiser, as well.

When he bent the poker, he was putting his Overall Levels into damage. In the fight with Moriarty, both men were spreading their levels around. Moriarty, being the NPC, was also built on more points.

:D

Air Wars: A New Hope: Young Kansas farmboy Luke has great dreams, to fly fighters like his father did in the Great War. But, it seems, he will be stuck working his Uncle Owen's farm for the rest of his life. That is until a strange dirigible crashes out in one of the distant fields. Going out to investigate, he discovers a strange clock-work man, who is apparently looking for his creator. Taking the golden-bodied mechanical man back to the farm for some simple repairs, Luke is soon embroiled in intrigues of world-shaking proportions. Agents of an unknown force, who will stop at nothing to recover the clock-work man, kill Owen and Beru, and burn the farm. Luke escapes, and heads for the big city, looking for someone who can take him to New York, the apparent home of the inventor the robot is looking for. Along the way he befriends free-lance pilot Han, learns to fly himself, and eventually assists in a massed attack on the world conqueror's massive lighter-than-air flying fortress!!!

(Obviously some of the names will need a bit of work.)

I'd make the world conquerer have rocket technology that allows him to bomb any city in the world from his fortress, which is ludicrously well defended. (He's already bombed Geneva to rubble.) His fortress is powered by a large hydroelectric dam. At the end, Young Luke joins a squadron of dambusters trying to blow it up before the villain can fire a rocket at their command center. Then Baron von Vader takes to the air to defend his leader...

I'd make the world conquerer have rocket technology that allows him to bomb any city in the world from his fortress' date=' which is ludicrously well defended. (He's already bombed Geneva to rubble.) His fortress is powered by a large hydroelectric dam. At the end, Young Luke joins a squadron of dambusters trying to blow it up before the villain can fire a rocket at their command center. Then Baron von Vader takes to the air to defend his leader...[/quote']

I can see more like a militarized version of the Freedom Ship, basically a city sized ship, with a capacity for nearly 20 thousand, with space for aircraft, shops/industry, etc... Can someone translate "Death Barge" into German?

:D

Jak

I can see more like a militarized version of the Freedom Ship' date=' basically a city sized ship, with a capacity for nearly 20 thousand, with space for aircraft, shops/industry, etc... Can someone translate "Death Barge" into German? [/quote']

"Toten" something, I bet. Ask Der Roten Baron.

Isn't Sherlock Holmes already a Pulp character? Genius-level intelligence' date=' oodles of scientific training, physically superior to a pro athlete (remember when he bent an iron poker in half?), and all the rest -- the only thing he couldn't do was use a gun.[/quote']

As Oddhat has said, Holmes was Victorian/Edwardian. And he certainly wasn't a hard-boiled gumshoe, which is the feeling I was going for. ;)

LOST. A Musician, Convict in Transit, Doctor, Con-Man, Obese Millionaire, and a Man travelling with his son take an ocean voyage but are shipwrecked on a tropical island where they encounter a cunning and delusional French woman, a Polar Bear, an abandoned facility once used for some nefarious unknown purpose, and an unreasonable rival group seemingly shipwrecked from a previous voyage.

I can see more like a militarized version of the Freedom Ship' date=' basically a city sized ship, with a capacity for nearly 20 thousand, with space for aircraft, shops/industry, etc... Can someone translate "Death Barge" into German?[/quote']

Wow, that's one wild project. They should see if the prince in Dubai would be willing to fund it. :)

I picked a foretress with a dam for the obvious reference to Lucas's "inspiration" for the Death Star assault.

Susano:

"Toten" from "Totenkoph" or deadhead in Sky Captain you mean? :)

Jakspade:

You could substitute Kronen from the Hellboy comics/movie for Von Vader quite easily.

austenandrews:

Jeremy Brett is my favourite Sherlock. I have nearly all his episodes on DVD. The point of Sherlock was of course, to not resort to violence - but to use intellect. Therefore he doesn't quite fit with the Pulp genre, which is more fisticuffs and swinging from rope bridges.