Pulparize It!

Blue

Re: Pulparize It!

Y'know this one has a lot of merit. I don't really see a black detective being likely in the era but it would be a lot of fun to cast PCs from diametrically opposed ethnic backgrounds - WASP' date=' Irish, Jewish, Italian, Polish... :eg:[/quote']

According to Pulp Hero, black police officers worked in black neighborhoods only, so I'd agree with you that a partnering of a black detective and a white detective is not likely in that era. But a pair of different ethnic backgrounds would be cool. You could probably do a white detective and a latin detective and get an approximation of Miami Vice in the Pulp Era.

The Poseidon Adventure: The Poseidon, a new giant luxury liner billed as "unsinkable" (you'd think they'd have learned after the Titanic) is sailing on New Year's Eve, and shortly after midnight, is flipped upside-down by a freakishly large wave. Superior construction is keeping the Poseidon afloat--for now, but it was never designed to stay watertight upside down. The only possibility of survival is to climb up to the bottom!

Probably best as a low-powered convention game, 25-50 base point characters.

The Poseidon Adventure: The Poseidon, a new giant luxury liner billed as "unsinkable" (you'd think they'd have learned after the Titanic) is sailing on New Year's Eve, and shortly after midnight, is flipped upside-down by a freakishly large wave. Superior construction is keeping the Poseidon afloat--for now, but it was never designed to stay watertight upside down. The only possibility of survival is to climb up to the bottom!

Probably best as a low-powered convention game, 25-50 base point characters.

Hmm... would a true Pulp version add in Nazi/Communist spies to oppose and/or a priceless treasure and/or plans for a marvelous new invention to save?

Hi all!

Re Firefly: Wouldn't it work better if the crew were say White Russians? Somebody who had lost a war recently, and were trying to avoid the winning side. Or if you prefer, anti imperialists of some sort who were politically in favor of shutting down the European empires of the times?

Re Avengers: Purdey was always my fave of the Fem sidekicks. Why is Venus Smith so determinably forgotten? McNee doesn't even mention her. (And I've only seen 2nd season Avengers once, I just found it interesting that there was another sidekick, never mentioned).

A couple of my suggestions:

For the anime folks, you forgot one...Young Serena, determined to go about her business of getting out of school as little as possible, is contacted by talking cat Luna, who informs her that she is the reincarnation of the Moon Princess, and she must save the world from terrible invaders. If she and her friends don't stop them, in the near future Imperial Japan will make a disasterious alliance with European powers...

Um..."Here be spoilers" for the just finished season of Surface. A few lines of space just in case...

Surface: Strange animals have appeared in the oceans. The protagonists, "chosen" at random, must defeat a deathless mad scientist who has created monsters capable of causing earthquakes, tusnami and munching the survivors. A huge "Noah's Ark" has been built holding "frozen" samples of all life on earth. (In the series, DNA samples for cloning, I suppose, Pulp era weird tech).

Some GREAT ideas in this thread,

Midas

Hmm... would a true Pulp version add in Nazi/Communist spies to oppose and/or a priceless treasure and/or plans for a marvelous new invention to save?

Or there's a prototype of the marvelous new invention which not only must they save, but get working to its full potential, since that's the only thing that can save them!

Little Shop of Horrors: There's been a series of disappearances on Skid Row. The police didn't really pay much attention at first--it's news when there are no disappearances on Skid Row for a month--but things are starting to get out of hand, with even a local dentist vanishing.

Gee, that flower shop looks awfully prosperous for this part of town. And that wimpy-looking shop assistant is wearing a brand-new suit. Maybe we should investigate? Say, is there someone in here with us? Holy foliage!

Little Shop of Horrors: There's been a series of disappearances on Skid Row. The police didn't really pay much attention at first--it's news when there are no disappearances on Skid Row for a month--but things are starting to get out of hand, with even a local dentist vanishing.

Gee, that flower shop looks awfully prosperous for this part of town. And that wimpy-looking shop assistant is wearing a brand-new suit. Maybe we should investigate? Say, is there someone in here with us? Holy foliage!

In a pulp setting, maybe the shop owner is using Audrey to provide 'no questions asked' corpse removal for the local Mob/Evil Mastermind/Foreign Spy.

I just get this mental image of the Devil Doctor, Fu Manchu, and his garden of man-eating plants from Borneo... "But see, my English friends, you shall perish, but in so doing you will grant nourishment to this most rare species of flora. Truly, is this not a most worthy death?"

On a somewhat darker note:

Hamlet: A university student returns home for the funeral of his tycoon father only to discover that his mother is marrying a shady but charming rival with connections to the Mob. worse, he has discoevered that his new "father" actually poisoned his own father! Since nobody would believe him if he simply stated what he knew, he decides he has no choice but to play a deadly game of pretending to be harmlessly mad while secretly gatherting evidence and planning his own, personal revenge -- until a tragic miscaluclation puts him in the sights of a former friend, as skilled and cunning as he, now on a mirror image of his own deadly quest....

Amadeus: The popular, complacent leader of a big jazz band reazlies that his new trumpet player (who is a loud, inconsiderate lout) is a musican and songwriter with a near-divine gift for musical expression. With the two competing for the favor of a radio executive and a Mob boss, the older man will stop at nothing to end the career and even the life of his rival; but in the process he will not only destroy, piece by piece, all that was good in his own soul, but he will also indirectly inspire the music that gives his foe a legacy that will last for all time....

Hamlet: A university student returns home for the funeral of his tycoon father only to discover that his mother is marrying a shady but charming rival with connections to the Mob. worse, he has discoevered that his new "father" actually poisoned his own father! Since nobody would believe him if he simply stated what he knew, he decides he has no choice but to play a deadly game of pretending to be harmlessly mad while secretly gatherting evidence and planning his own, personal revenge -- until a tragic miscaluclation puts him in the sights of a former friend, as skilled and cunning as he, now on a mirror image of his own deadly quest....

Very good idea. Rep to you.

Anyone else want to try and turn other Shakespeare plays into pulp stories? I'd like to see what someone could do with Titus Andronicus.

While reading this, I visualized it as cast with the same people with whom I worked the play a year ago (I played Osric, and the Player Flutist). The play could actually be staged this way, and would be quite gripping.

While reading this' date=' I visualized it as cast with the same people with whom I worked the play a year ago (I played Osric, and the Player Flutist). The play could actually be staged this way, and would be quite gripping.[/quote']

Ethan Hawke did a modernized Hamlet a few years ago, where Hamlet's father was a CEO of the Denmark corporation. Leonardo DiCaprio's Romeo and Juliet was modernized to gang rivalry, but kept the dialogue word for word.

Ethan Hawke did a modernized Hamlet a few years ago' date=' where Hamlet's father was a CEO of the Denmark corporation. Leonardo DiCaprio's Romeo and Juliet was modernized to gang rivalry, but kept the dialogue word for word.[/quote']At least one production of A Comedy Of Errors has turned the Greek cities of Syracuse and Ephesus into the New York cities of Syracuse and NYC, making it into a 1920s gang rivalry. (Then again, it's hard to find a time period that Errors hasn't been set in.)

In a pulp setting, maybe the shop owner is using Audrey to provide 'no questions asked' corpse removal for the local Mob/Evil Mastermind/Foreign Spy.

I just get this mental image of the Devil Doctor, Fu Manchu, and his garden of man-eating plants from Borneo... "But see, my English friends, you shall perish, but in so doing you will grant nourishment to this most rare species of flora. Truly, is this not a most worthy death?"

Similar to the Chinaman in Deadwood and his pigs...

Henry V: French and English gangs struggle for control of the city' date=' leading to the infamous "St.Crispin's Day Massacre".[/quote']

:lol::rofl:

That's sheer genius!

I'd rep you if I could, but I got the "must schmeer it around" message. :(

Anyone else want to try and turn other Shakespeare plays into pulp stories? I'd like to see what someone could do with Titus Andronicus.

Julius Caeser: Big Jules, head o' da Mob, starts reachin' fer more power. Some guys t'ink dis ain't good, and decide ta rub him out. Even one o' two o' Big Jules's top lootenents get inta da act; Da guy dey call "Da Brute."

After the hit goes down, Big Jules's odder lootenent, Tony, does da rabble-rousin' t'ing with da Mob, and dey go after da guys dat did for Big Jules. In da end, Tony's in charge o' da Mob, but he's let Big Jules's nephew, Gus, in too close. After da play's ove', Gus is gonna take out Tony and take ove' da Mob.

Hm.... Why is it that many of Shakespeare's plays work if turned into stories of "da Mob"? :think:

Julius Caeser: Big Jules, head o' da Mob, starts reachin' fer more power. Some guys t'ink dis ain't good, and decide ta rub him out. Even one o' two o' Big Jules's top lootenents get inta da act; Da guy dey call "Da Brute."

After the hit goes down, Big Jules's odder lootenent, Tony, does da rabble-rousin' t'ing with da Mob, and dey go after da guys dat did for Big Jules. In da end, Tony's in charge o' da Mob, but he's let Big Jules's nephew, Gus, in too close. After da play's ove', Gus is gonna take out Tony and take ove' da Mob.

Hm.... Why is it that many of Shakespeare's plays work if turned into stories of "da Mob"? :think:

There was an infamous '40s gangster film called Bugsy Macbeth.

And films like The Godfather and Scarface have a great deal in common with Shakespearean tragedy; the bard would have found characters like Michael Corleone and Tony Manero (and, for that matter, Tony Soprano) fascinating.

King Lear: Rex Lear, founder of Lear Industries, is getting old. He decides to retire as President, and divide the company's holdings among his daughters (well, technically, his son-in-laws.) A literal-minded fellow, Rex does not get his most faithful daughter's speech, and cuts her out. Predictably, the other two daughters quickly tire of their now-idle but still big-spending father, and turn on him. Also worrisome is that the illegitimate son of one of Lear Industries' most able executives has his own treacherous plot in place. And Black Friday is quickly approaching, which only the seemingly foolish economist Dr. Tom realizes.

King Henry VI, parts 1, 2, and 3, and King Richard III: "Little" Hank Lancaster follows his father ("Big" Hank Lancaster) as head of the Britain Mob. Unlike his dad, this Hank L. is a gutless incompetant, and loses all the territory his dad took from the Gaul Mob.

In fact the cojones in the family belong to his wife, Maggie. It's a long story, full of danger, thrills, reverses of fortune, and all that lot. In the end, though, Maggie's shrewishness turns a lot of the Mob against Hank, and he's pushed aside in a "hostile takeover" by the York family, though not until "Old" Rick York is killed.

With Old Rick and Little Hank out of the way, Eddie York (eldest of Old Rick's sons) takes over the Mob. He's popular, and a pretty good boss, but he's got a weak spot for the ladies, and one of them (Ellie Grey, widow of an ordinary "button man") lands him by holding out for marriage. This doesn't sit well Eddie's little brother, "Young" Rick. But Young Rick bides his time, only seeing to it his brother Joe (between Rick and Eddie in age), is offed on the QT.

When Eddie dies (of natural causes), Young Rick sticks Ellie and her and Eddie's two kids in a "safe house" and takes over the Britain Mob. But there's hard feelings all around, and eventually Hank Bolingbroke starts up another "hostile takeover," wins, and becomes boss of the Britain Mob.

On the Shakespeare thing:

Four teens are in love, but not with each other. Girl 1 is in love with boy 1, who doesn't know she exists. He only has eyes for girl 2, who is only interested in boy 2, who isn't interested in anybody in particular, but his parents are pushing him to get hitched.

They hop in their jalapy and head off to see an amatuer performance of Romeo & Juliet off in the hinterlands...

sidenote: I thought about a drive in, but did they have those back then, or is that more a 50's phenom?

Midas

Who dislikes being confused with Bottoms: "Just the ears, not the whole head!"

Red Dawn: The Germans roll into France. A group of four hear it on the radio and flee into the Massif Central. They try to live off the land, but one day are spotted by German soldiers sightseeing in the mountains. After killing off the soldiers, they begin a commando operation, staging ambushes and traps.

Paranoia Agent: Diana Crane, creator of the much-beloved Li'l Melonhead comic strip, is hospitalized following an alleged assault by a mysterious assailant. The police are suspicious, because Miss Crane was known to be having severe writer's block, and under pressure from the syndicate to introduce a new merchandisable character into the strip. Plus her description of the attacker is vague and the details seemingly random.

Then a tabloid reporter is also attacked, and it becomes evident that there actually is a "Bat Boy." But as the casualties mount, and the circumstances get more bizarre, the investigators begin to wonder just how real--and how human--this Bat Boy really is.