Pulparize It!

Blue

Re: Pulparize It!

The point of Sherlock was of course' date=' to not resort to violence - but to use intellect. Therefore he doesn't quite fit with the Pulp genre, which is more fisticuffs and swinging from rope bridges.[/quote']

But he was no slouch when it came to that, as I recall. Wasn't he trained in boxing, fencing, and even in jujutsu/baritsu?

I don't ever recall it being mentioned in the stories. He may have used violence maybe a couple of times in his career. It wasn't how 90% of the cases were solved.

Dr Watson was the more physical.

For that matter - Archie Goodwin handled the violence for Nero Wolfe.

BTW - I'm thinking of transferring all these over to my Wiki as "Pulp Hero Plot Seeds". I'll put in a link when they're done (mainly because unless threads are regularly added to and bumped, they get lost on message boards - wikis are easy to look up).

Perry Mason was an undeniably pulp character who relied on someone else for the muscle work.

EDIT: Actually, I wasn't quite right.

From http://www.thrillingdetective.com/mason.html

---

PERRY MASON is Raymond Burr as a Defense Attorney, right? Not a P.I., right? Well, sorta. In the first ten or so books, Perry comes off as a particularly hardboiled lawyer/detective, throwing his weight around, duking it out with suspects, breaking and entering, and other private eye shenanigans.

As Doug Bassett pointed out on Rara Avis recently, "The first Mason, The Case of the Velvet Claws, in particular, is certainly hard-boiled. Mason is definitely seen as a sort of Sam Spade-like character, willing to twist the law to serve his own higher ideals of justice. I like Gardner's work generally -- he's a wonderfully readable author -- but later books are much tamer, maybe "medium boiled", if anything."

Erie Stanley Gardner, the creator of Perry Mason, was one of the leading writers for Black Mask, the legendary hard-boiled crime fiction magazine. Although Mason never appeared in its pages, in the early

1930s published a string of six short stories starring a crusading defense lawyer named Ken Corning who fought against injustice in a corrupt city. In many ways, Corning served as a rough template for Mason.

---

I have a doc here with the list of the talismans, but I can't find all my notes here... I'll have to dig through my notes to find them at home. But for now, here's a document that has the list with some graphics, and some space for your friend to jot some of his own notes down.

Which explains one of the more obscure AzuDai puns (and also, since it establishes that the second srping term ends in the Year of the Snake, establishes a real-world date for the series -- now if only I could recall what it was....)

Didn't somebody mention Fruits Basket in this thread? The Chinese Zodiac figures into that series very heavily. Not to mention massive doses of feminine self-delusion....

Didn't somebody mention Fruits Basket in this thread? The Chinese Zodiac figures into that series very heavily. Not to mention massive doses of feminine self-delusion....

Fruits Basket fits more readily into the "Gothic Romance" subgenre than anything else. Good-hearted but impoverished orphan girl is cruelly mistreated by her relatives. She then becomes a servant to a wealthy, reclusive family that has many dark secrets. Will she end up with the handsome but standoffish heir apparent or the hot-tempered black sheep cousin? Or will the family's ailing patriarch see to it that no one gets a happy ending?

By "feminine self-delusion", do you mean Tohru's habit of believing that she deserves the bad things that happen to her, SPOILER DELETED, or something else?

And back on-topic:

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner: Norwegian mercenary Roland finds himself not just aiding the African tribes for money, but truly believing in their cause of freedom from their European oppressors. (It's a little late in the period, but perhaps he could work for the Ethiopeans battling Mussolini.) He's ambushed and decapitated by agents or the oppressors, but a local witch doctor is able to bring Roland back as a deathless warrior of vengeance.

Or, for a more "realistic" setting, Roland is a mobster who was ambushed by other mobsters, and has "returned from the grave" to seek vengeance on his killers, even the ones who have since gone straight. In this version, Roland isn't actually headless, but wearing a weird science set of body armor that both makes his head invisible and is extremely bullet-resistant. (Thus his seeming ability to take volleys of slugs and keep right on coming.)

I know Watson usually handled the firearms, but I could swear Holmes carried a piece in one or two stories. Though he was no expert, presumably.

I watched the Jeremy Brett version of "The Final Problem" the other day. It struck me again how odd it was that the clash of two mental giants wound up in a plain ol' fistfight. Not to mention that Holmes's physical prowess, which you mention, was not enough to overcome a man most often portrayed as considerably older. I guess Moriarty was quite the bruiser, as well.

Holmes and firearms: I suspect that Holmes left the shooting (what there was of it) to Watson simply so his "Boswell" would feel useful and have something he considers important to do. Holmes certainly knew his way around guns, although judgment was never his strong point in anything (his habit of taking target practice in his own rooms, for example -- good enough shooting to make a passable "VR" sign, but he can probably forget about ever getting back the cleaning deposit on 221B!)

It is alarming how poor Holmes' judgment could be on personal matters. Deciding that the most preferable alternative to mental tedium is cocaine addiction, for example. And while he was an expert in tobacco in all its forms, his taste in the stuff ran to a maladorous pipe shag and cheap cigarettes. (Of course, in Holmes' day it was generally assumed that if you were a gentleman you used tobacco and alcohol to what we could consider alarming excess today, and one of the principal components of Watson's medical bag was a flask of brandy for bringing the delerious back to themselves -- which would seem a very odd tactic today, yet seemed to work for him).

Traditionally Holmes was considered a student of an art known as "baritsu". It is barely practiced today, and apparently served mainly as a means for Victorian gentlemen to learn certain sweeps and throws without dealing with any of the philosophical baggage involved in jiujutsu. Karate and Kung Fu, of course, were virtually unheard of in Holmes' London -- I doubt that Conan Doyle was even aware that they existed.

And I suspect Conan Doyle had to pander to his audience somewhat by keeping Holmes at least nominally Anglican -- it wouldn't have done to have him adopt a philosophy more in keeping with her personality, and if Holmes did believe in things like evolution (which was extremely controversial in his England) he wisely kept such thoughts to himself.

Likewise, the circumstances of the writer forced him to keep Holmes essentially apolitical -- Holmes frequently deals with the gentry and the political classes and seems comfortable enough around them, even though many of the individuals he deals with even as clients would seem worthy of his utter contempt. Yet when he does take the law into his own hands, ironically it is more often on the side of mercy -- after giving a guilty commoner enough head start to flee the country, he remarked "I know I have just committed a felony, but I believe I have saved a soul."

One final note: at the end of my favorite Holmes short, "The Red-Headed League", Holmes quotes a French novelist of great renown -- in French. A great deal of Doyle's audience, at least supposedly, was composed of eductaed gentlemen who were fluent in the language. I, however, am not. None of the more recent editions have bothered to translate this statement. Does anyone know it?

One final note: at the end of my favorite Holmes short, "The Red-Headed League", Holmes quotes a French novelist of great renown -- in French. A great deal of Doyle's audience, at least supposedly, was composed of eductaed gentlemen who were fluent in the language. I, however, am not. None of the more recent editions have bothered to translate this statement. Does anyone know it?

"The man is nothing, the work is everything".

Back to the Pulparizing (I like Rep! :))

Baywatch: East Coast (Miami) and

Baywatch: West Coast (Los Angeles)

The players are members of an elite OSS or Reserve military unit that is undercover as life guards, keeping an eye on the country's coastline, vigilantly guarding Americans against anyone trying to invade or cause harm. And, of course, they're ready to help any tourists who just happen to be in trouble.

"The word is that [Cuba/Japan] could attack any time now. Be ready!"

[edit: add]

Plot seeds (Miami): Voodoo Zombies, pirates from eras past, The Gulf Aligator Men...

Plot seeds (LA): El Chupa Cabra, The Shark Men of Baha, Railroads and Goldmines, Pearl Harbor and Lifeguards (late period)...

Jak :ugly:

Yes, IIRC Nazi Germany definitely had fuel problems; I've read some analyses arguing that if Hitler had had the sense to invade the Near East instead of Russia, Germany could have won the war, or at least made it last a lot longer.

The need for oil was the reason that Hitler sent Army Group A towards the Caucasus Mountains and the oil fields that were there. Of course, this left the German 6th army unsupported in attempting to capture Stalingard but that's another story.

Back to the Pulparizing (I like Rep! :))

{snip}

"The word is that [Cuba/Japan] could attack any time now. Be ready!"

Not Cuba; not in the pulp era. Cuba was very, very pro-US (at least the govt. was) until Castro took over in 1959.

In the pulp era Cuba was rather disreputable; a land of gambling, prostitution, drinking, etc.

X-Files- Fox Mulder and Dana Scully have been assigned a secret office in the basement of the FBI building. Their job is to capture the weird menaces, nazi plots, crooked gangsters, and the occasional mystic artifact as the world nears war.

Strange Days(?)- A doctor is exposed to a chemical gas during WWI. He has been asked to investigate medical mysteries or his temporary antidote will be stopped.

Space: Above and Beyond- The Martians have invaded. Now the US Space Marines have taken their technology and decided to take the battle into space.

CES

Not Cuba; not in the pulp era. Cuba was very, very pro-US (at least the govt. was) until Castro took over in 1959.

In the pulp era Cuba was rather disreputable; a land of gambling, prostitution, drinking, etc.

It was sorta like Vegas, but not as many people spoke Spanish. :D

JG

Miami Vice: Prohibition-era police in sunny Miami, the city of palm trees, beautiful women, speedboats, fast cars, smugglers, hustlers, Mafia hoods, dollars and death. James 'Sonny' Crockett: a seasoned hardcore veteran of the rough-and-tumble Vice Squad. Ricardo 'Rico' Tubbs: a hip, black, brassy New York street cop, who rolls into Miami packing only his wits, a suitcase full of counterfeit cash, and a sawed-off shotgun. Crockett and Tubbs are on a collision course, and someone's going to get burned. We find out about his family, his cover, his alligator Elvis, and his beloved car.

Tells you how much I know about history before the 1960s... :D

Jak

Here's one that hasn't come up The A-Team

Ten years ago, a crack military unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the A-Team.

I think that all you probably need to do is change out the weaponry to era appropriate. Tommy Guns, etc. and figure out where they gone to ground. Not likely to be L.A. but I think that’s a matter of choice.

Also the original team was of course special forces. These didn’t come around until after the Second World War. That doesn’t have to be a definite after all they could have been trained for some special mission that history has forgotten (or never happened).

Here's one that hasn't come up The A-Team

Ten years ago, a crack military unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped a maximum security stockade....

Ft. Leavenworth.

Make them Marines... although I'm not sure you're going to get a period version of Mr. T.