Golden Age Champions

lurkerabove

Re: Golden Age Champions

I'm a big fan of this original supplement too. Even played in a Golden Age campaign along side Steve Long in the 90's (ah, Lizard's gameworld...). For awhile, I was working on some characters with some other folks for a GAC update. I don't think that project ever came to completion. I'm curious about this new GAC book too.

At the risk of being accused of being biased (but let's face it, I am ;)), I think that as good as the old GAC was, the new GAC that we produce for 5E will be even better -- more informative, more full of cool useful stuff, and so on. Darren has a tremendous love for the subgenre, and I think that will show through in the book. And he's working from one of my top-notch outlines, so how can ya go wrong? :hex:

Dumb question but -- this will cover both 'generic' Golden Age and the Champs Universe Golden Age, right? Like the Galactic Champions book?

I really do enjoy learning more about the CU setting, and it should be entertaining to see just what was going on with some of the GA heroes written of elsewhere.

Steve, man, I totally forgot about the Flying Ninja. Or, as we affectionately referred to him as "the Frying Ninja" (damn those L's). :D With our latest move to Hickory, NC, I finally got a place to unpack all my boxes of gaming stuff. I ran across my old APA's where I did updates about Lizard's campaign. I need to pull those out some night and have a read. Ah, those were some interesting times...

Dumb question but -- this will cover both 'generic' Golden Age and the Champs Universe Golden Age, right? Like the Galactic Champions book?

I really do enjoy learning more about the CU setting, and it should be entertaining to see just what was going on with some of the GA heroes written of elsewhere.

Absolutely both. dw

Yes, very much so. If the book does particularly well there's always the possibility of related supplements, but for the time being we have to assume that this is our one bite at the Golden Age apple, so we're going to take the biggest bite we reasonably can.

Is GAC going to be like Pulp Hero in size & format?

"Reply hazy, ask again later." My guess is, though, that the answer is No. We can't cram an entire history of WWII, and review of the world as of the time of WWII, and all the genre and character creation stuff, and what basically amounts to a mini-campaign setting, and an enemies book, into one reasonably-sized tome. The outline I spec'd out for Darren is pretty ambitious, especially for someone who doesn't write as his full-time job assignment, but I think that if I asked him for a book "just like PH, but for 1939-45," he'd probably suffer an aneurysm. And I really, really, don't want that, because then I'd have to talk to distributors and printers and stuff. :eek:

Fortunately, I think it's safe to just refer to Pulp Hero for the most part when it comes to discussing recent history, the state of the world, and suchlike. Darren can supplement with a two-column timeline (Column A: What Happened In The Real World; Column B: What Happened In The CU) and move on to more important things like stats for V-2 rockets and Military Rank Perks for all the major combatants. ;)

Yes' date=' very much so. If the book does particularly well there's always the possibility of related supplements, but for the time being we have to assume that this is our one bite at the Golden Age apple, so we're going to take the biggest bite we reasonably can.[/quote']

Ah, good news! Myself, I'm really hoping for stats on the big GA baddies, both independent villains and major figures like Totenkopf and Iron Father.

Absolutely both. dw

Cool.

And Madame Moonlight still has my vote for best Champions costume ever, and one of the neatest published characters I've ever seen.

Oh, and in GAC 2nd Edition (errr.. 4th Edition), Dr. Quaal's description is priceless. :D

Yes, though the 4th Edition GAC was really a revised and improved version of the 3rd. This one will have little to do with either, and will be part of the current Champions Universe timeline, featuring characters already integral to the ongoing storyline like Optimus, Bulletproof, Princess Mara and Dr. Twilight. The 4th Ed book was great for its time, but I hope to make it even more thorough and useful. dw

Yes' date=' though the 4th Edition GAC was really a revised and improved version of the 3rd. This one will have little to do with either, and will be part of the current Champions Universe timeline, featuring characters already integral to the ongoing storyline like Optimus, Bulletproof, Princess Mara and Dr. Twilight. The 4th Ed book was great for its time, but I hope to make it even more thorough and useful. dw[/quote']

That's fine. While I'll miss Madame Moonlight, I'm still all over getting the book!

On the plus side, with some quick conversions of the 4th edition characters, we'll have even more GA characters to play with. :)

You know what I'd REALLY like to see in GAC? A Canadian hero. Even if it's just one. After all, Canada was in the war earlier than the Americans anyway. Two full years earlier, in fact. No way the Nazis didn't have agents north of the 49th parallel for a Canadian hero to pound into bratwurst.

On the plus side' date=' with some quick conversions of the 4th edition characters, we'll have even more GA characters to play with. :)[/quote']

I have one semi-completed for Madame Moonlight, but rules say I can't post it.... :weep:

The new GAC sounds great but I was just wondering will it allow you to play Heroes from other nations than just the US as the version of GAC i just got is very American-specific with little scope for playing say a British or Belgian hero

There's not a thing in the world that would prevent you from playing a character from another nation, but the 5E GAC will be more or less just as America-centric as previous versions. We're American and the vast majority of our customers are American, so that's what we know best and what's in the most demand. We simply can't provide the same depth of coverage to every single nation of the world.

That being said, we are broadening the scope where it's reasonable and easy to do so. For example, in discussing the Military Rank Perk, the outline says to cover all the major combatants, not just the US and Germany. That's easy enough to look up and put in a table. :hex:

Now I need a little smilie waving Old Glory. ;)

That's fine. While I'll miss Madame Moonlight' date=' I'm still all over getting the book![/quote']

Myself, I'll miss that Japanese villainess, Shinyu/Shinju/whatever her name was, the one who had potent magic and could transform into a Japanese dragon. She was a great character, so much so that back when I first got the new Champions, I tried to figure out a way to make a 'legacy character' with her draconic abilities if not the magic.

Eagerly looking forward to the book (and let me second Lord Liaden's words on other nations' heroes; I for one would like to know who held the flag for Stalin...)

What I did not like about the 4th edition GAC was that (apart from the artwork ...) even the goofy characters were WAY too powerful for my taste. I always thought that aprt from maybe the Spectre and to a certain degree Superman and captain marvel the rest were comparatively low-pwered. I would prefer to have more "old-Standard 250 pointers with some powerhouses thrown in and that goofy characters are build with some kind of a VUL or "glassjaw" (like high PD but quite low ED, high Speed, low DCV etc.) that they don't kick the PCs *** just by even using their powers in the most unimaginative way (like Yellowberad and his GROSSLY OVERPOWERED PSYCHIC PARROT!).

Some material for playing a "Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandoes" or BLACKHAWK type of campaign would also be nice.