Favorite Sci-Fi Weapon

AlHazred

Re: Favorite Sci-Fi Weapon

Rereading the old Ringworld RPG from Chaosium reminded me of one of my favorite sci-fi weapons: the flashlight laser (image here). Set it on wide-beam, and it's a handy flashlight. Narrow the beam and it becomes a high-powered laser, capable of cutting through stone with little effort. It's an invention of the Puppeteers - not surprising that such a cowardly people would come up with a gadget that combines tool and weapon, and looks innocuous to boot!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because I'm a video game junkie, I'll throw out the Singularity Cannon from Unreal 2. I shudder at the thought of what something like that would really do, but watching your enemies get sucked into a micro black hole was rather enjoyable.

Guest Schwarzwald

Just because I'm a video game junkie' date=' I'll throw out the Singularity Cannon from Unreal 2. I shudder at the thought of what something like that would really do, but watching your enemies get sucked into a micro black hole was rather enjoyable.[/quote']

You ought to check out a game called "Tron 2.0" that has a weapon similar to the one you describe above.

Guest Schwarzwald

Rereading the old Ringworld RPG from Chaosium reminded me of one of my favorite sci-fi weapons: the flashlight laser (image here). Set it on wide-beam' date=' and it's a handy flashlight. Narrow the beam and it becomes a high-powered laser, capable of cutting through stone with little effort. It's an invention of the Puppeteers - not surprising that such a cowardly people would come up with a gadget that combines tool and weapon, and looks innocuous to boot!

Hoiw about the puppeteer disintegrator? The one that could either turn objects to dust or cause a powerful quantum explosion if both barrells were used.

Hoiw about the puppeteer disintegrator? The one that could either turn objects to dust or cause a powerful quantum explosion if both barrells were used.

Yeah, but I couldn't just carry one around nonchalantly on Mars. A flashlight laser looks completely innocuous - like a sonic screwdriver.

You ought to check out a game called "Tron 2.0" that has a weapon similar to the one you describe above.

If we're going to add Tron (forgot completely about that) I've always thought the weapons in there were pretty neat. No guns - instead you have the Battle Frisbee, and a Shock Staff. Nifty!

Morgaine's Sword (it has a name, but I can't think of it just now) from the Chronicles of Morgaine. It has a warp gate of extremely tiny dimensions in it's tip.

As long as it's in it's scabbard, it's perfectly safe. But as soon as it's pulled out, the gate starts sucking everything in. Everything. Worse, at one point she intimates that the gate doesn't actually go anywhere - just away.

If the blade is pointed at you, there's no way to retaliate - anything pointed her way goes into the gate. And unless you run away right quick, that'll include you...

Morgaine's Sword (it has a name' date=' but I can't think of it just now) from the Chronicles of Morgaine. It has a warp gate of extremely tiny dimensions in it's tip.[/quote']

"Changeling" comes up in the back of my head, but I can't swear to it.

I always like the Willy's gun from the Sten series. Take a microscopic dash of Anitimatter Two, wrap it in a shell of the Imperium Shield, send it to its target riding a laser and you have a BB hitting with the mass of a truck. Each magazine carried thousands of rounds and the weapon featured the latest in precision sighting and computerized targeting giving ability to shoot around corners. Available as a standard battle rifle, submachine gun and handun.

Don't know if this counts as sci-fi, but the Wave Motion Gun (Star Blazers/SBY) usually comes to mind first.

(Though for overkill weapons, the Ideon would be my pick. Nothing says powergaming like a giant robot that can (spoiler) wipe out the universe...)

THough more in line with the topic would be the powered armour units from Robert A. Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers' novel. My first choice when it came to subnuke equipped, flame-throwing powered suits.

Pyre-Archer

The hand-held Metal Storm from Designated Targets.

The standard rounds would uncoil in the fleshy bits of the target, turning them into juice. If the rounds hit something hard like a bulkhead, they would turn to dust instead.

Guest Schwarzwald

As much as I hate Judge Dredd and it's advocacy of absolute fascism, I think the "lawgiver" pistol from it is one nice weapon that is plausible in some futures.

As much as I hate Judge Dredd and it's advocacy of absolute fascism' date=' I think the "lawgiver" pistol from it is one nice weapon that is plausible in some futures.[/quote']

It advocates? I always read it as a parody. A strange kind of parody (one which revels in its own badness), but a parody nonetheless. Dredd was always meant to be anti-hero, not hero.

Guest Schwarzwald

It advocates? I always read it as a parody. A strange kind of parody (one which revels in its own badness)' date=' but a parody nonetheless. Dredd was always meant to be anti-hero, not hero.[/quote']

You're probably right. I quit reading the series in disgust when they were lobotimizing peopl for repeated minor crimes and forcing the abortions of fetuses that had so-called 'criminal" or "rebellious' genes.

i still liked the pistol, though.

Guest Major Tom

In the anime Sol Bianca, there's a sequence where some of the good

guys have been captured and are about to be executed when one of their

friends starts taking out the executioner and guards with really long-

range sniper fire -- long range as in, she's in a spacesuit out on the hull of

their spaceship with this humongous rifle firing down on the planet from high

orbit.

I can almost hear the guys in the USMC's Force Recon Scout Snipers now:

"We have got to get us one of those!"

Major Tom :bmk: