Who are the top 5 most powerful characters in your Campaign.

Manchine

Re: Who are the top 5 most powerful characters in your Campaign.

And Thanos periodically has followers that can take on Galactus, entire fleets of starships, and tech that can do pretty much anything. Oh, and he can survive an extended fight with Odin, and considered detonating a megaton range nuke at his foot to be a literal nonissue, and has destroyed planets merely as a side effect of fighting on them.

Likewise, Dr Strange has a list of major artifacts a mile long, and has done everything from corking black holes, to blowing up planets, to ( at the very limit of his ability, and calling in all his resources ) fighting and defeating a being that had merged with his entire universe and was effectively a peer of Eternity.

Apocalypse. . . is not that powerful.

*sigh* As I said, I never ranked them so you're kind of arguing with yourself. While I find it somewhat entertaining you might want to just... not.

Also this is MY top five in MY universe. I ask you to think about that before you reply again since your replies are placing your constraints on my world.:confused:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* As I said, I never ranked them so you're kind of arguing with yourself. While I find it somewhat entertaining you might want to just... not.

Also this is MY top five in MY universe. I ask you to think about that before you reply again since your replies are placing your constraints on my world.:confused:

Note my "unless you've seriously modified the characters in question."

And also your "Pretty standard Marvel fare."

Nonetheless, you do have a point: at no point did you actually specify a ranking. However, given that you did put them in an order, its not hard to misinterpret your claim.

Not only because they were listed in order, but because you then commenced to arguing when people tried to point out Apocalypse isn't that tough (at least, not compared to a few others on that list). Maybe if you'd just said "I know Apocalypse isn't as badass as Thanos, sorry for the confusion in the order I posted the list," instead of disagreeing and sticking up for Apocalypse, the whole argument might not have happened.

To be fair I absolutely can't stand Apocalypse and long for the day when he gets bitchslapped into oblivian by Squirrel Girl. I also will happily deny that the scene in the Onslaught story was anything other then Apocalypse fleeing an angry Sue Storm. :)

Not only because they were listed in order' date=' but because you then commenced to arguing when people tried to point out Apocalypse isn't that tough (at least, not compared to a few others on that list). Maybe if you'd just said "I know Apocalypse isn't as badass as Thanos, sorry for the confusion in the order I posted the list," instead of [i']disagreeing[/i] and sticking up for Apocalypse, the whole argument might not have happened.

Actually, Thanos got taken to school by Squirrel Girl and Ka-Zar so I guess that right there kills any argument for him. Dr. Strange has been taken down by Deadpool so there's another one down, and Galactus? He's a chump, Spider-Man has put him in his place...

See how that works?

Really, you guys are pretty funny because its obvious that you are merely trying to place your own limitations on things because you either dislike Apoc(As shown in the last post), or are obvious Thanos fanboys. FYI, at least Apoc is somewhat original, unlike Darkse... er, Thanos.

Make up your mind. Do you feel Apocalypse is more poweful than Thanos, or not? Stop trying to have it both ways. Either the other posters on the thread are right, and you just listed them in the wrong order (or in random order), like you said... or the other posters on the thread are a bunch of fanboys.

Stop backpedaling and make up your mind. Which is it?

Make up your mind. Do you feel Apocalypse is more poweful than Thanos, or not? Stop trying to have it both ways. Either the other posters on the thread are right, and you just listed them in the wrong order (or in random order), like you said... or the other posters on the thread are a bunch of fanboys.

Stop backpedaling and make up your mind. Which is it?

Son Goku all the way!

I personally don't like Apocalypse from Marvel Comics. However there are characters I hate more from the company.

As to his power level he can fight the X-Men to a standstill, has lived for several thousand years and has several bases and can create followers who can give a team problems. So he can be a powerful character in much the same way as Thanos is. If Catacomb says that in his campaign he is one of the Top 5 who are we to argue with him ? It's his world. His rules.

Similarly if I created a world where I wanted Batman to be the quintessential martial artist there is nothing anybody here could do to stop me. Provided I am not publishing and putting it into print obviously.

Some very interesting ideas. :)

These are not unnecessarily the most powerful characters in my game world, but they are the most powerful that I expect my players to encounter:

The Old Woman. Born at least 30,000 years ago, the Old Woman may be Earth's oldest Metahuman. Her accumulated knowledge and skills make her Earth's most powerful mystic, and her web of influence extends everywhere on the globe. She heads the Nine Unknown, a group of immortals whose agents have included many of the greatest heroes and villains in history. She herself is the reality behind many myths.

Brother Normal, the Shadow Emperor. Yukio Nagase controls The Defilers, arguably Earth's single most powerful group of mystics after the Nine Unknown. He dreams of a return to an Imperial Age that never was, with Japan dominating Asia and the world. On a personal level, he is one of Earth's most powerful sorcerers.

Cardinal Konrad Dippel - The appointed head of the Roman Catholic Church's Order of Saint George, the world's largest collection of Metahumans. The order itself is publicly charged with serving and protecting the Church, and with opposing supernatural threats. Most of the Order's time is devoted to disaster relief and charitable works. Dippel has displayed great physical powers, including speed, strength and physical resilience as great as that of any Metahuman on record, and has access to the full knowledge base of the Roman Catholic Church when dealing with the paranormal. Dippel's personal history before joining the Order has been carefully concealed.

Lilith - A shape shifter who has appeared in many guises, Lilith may be over 30,000 years old. She is widely regarded as the "mother of monsters", and has both mothered and fathered many lines of powerful metahumans. She claims to have been the first Vampire, and her physical and psionic powers are very nearly unrivaled. Her plans, like those of the other Nine Unknown, unfold over generations.

Svyatogor - Grigori Novyh was the USSR's premier Metahuman operative from 1960 until his official retirement in 1984. He has demonstrated a range of psionic and physical powers, including the ability to psychokinetically lift vast weights (he once lifted an aircraft carrier and then set it back in the water unharmed), and was demonstrably able to teleport interplanetary distances. He once survived the point blank detonation of a nuclear weapon. His current whereabouts and activities are unknown.

I personally don't like Apocalypse from Marvel Comics. However there are characters I hate more from the company.

As to his power level he can fight the X-Men to a standstill, has lived for several thousand years and has several bases and can create followers who can give a team problems. So he can be a powerful character in much the same way as Thanos is. If Catacomb says that in his campaign he is one of the Top 5 who are we to argue with him ? It's his world. His rules.

Similarly if I created a world where I wanted Batman to be the quintessential martial artist there is nothing anybody here could do to stop me. Provided I am not publishing and putting it into print obviously.

Except that Thanos does that with vastly more powerful opposition ( cosmic characters, rather than X-Men ). Saying otherwise is like the old "Captain America = Wonder Man, since they both punch hard" illogic.

Actually, Thanos got taken to school by Squirrel Girl and Ka-Zar so I guess that right there kills any argument for him. Dr. Strange has been taken down by Deadpool so there's another one down, and Galactus? He's a chump, Spider-Man has put him in his place...

See how that works?

Yep, just like the time Apocalypse got beat up by his four horsemen. You know, cosmic guys like "flys fast with metal wings."

:rolleyes:

Its called "cherry picking." Learn not to do it.

If you instead look at the character's better showings, you have. . . Apocalypse fighting even with Ikaris. Thats pretty much his best feat, ever.

Whereas, well, I already mentioned a bunch of the crap Thanos and Dr Strange do.

Really, you guys are pretty funny because its obvious that you are merely trying to place your own limitations on things because you either dislike Apoc(As shown in the last post), or are obvious Thanos fanboys. FYI, at least Apoc is somewhat original, unlike Darkse... er, Thanos.

Oh, he's original. Unfortunately, he's a case study in why "original != good." And regardless, whether we hate or love him doesn't change the fact, that throughout his career, Apocalypse hasn't done much of anything special. He's a powerful X-villain, but not really anymoreso than Magneto.

( unless we bring in Fox Animated Apocalypse. Then, its a whole nother story. . . )

"...I'AM THE ROCKS OF THE ETERNAL SHORE, CRASH AGINST ME AND BE BROKEN!" :eg: yeah cartoon Apocalypse had some really good lines.

I was going to bring up the Ikaris thing but you beat me to it. I'm not sure if Thanos has ever taken on an Earth-born eternal.

In a one on one fight I think they'd be close.

Except that Thanos does that with vastly more powerful opposition ( cosmic characters' date=' rather than X-Men ). Saying otherwise is like the old "Captain America = Wonder Man, since they both punch hard" illogic.[/quote']

You overlooked where I said it was his campaign. You have an opinion fine.

But trying to apply your rules and your theory of how people should be on a campaign where you don't play and don't have all the data makes your argument invalid. In The Marvel Universe you might have a point, although there will be those who will agree with you and those who will disagree, but in his no you don't.

There is also what Thanos did in the comics. He was in love with death and so was opposed by many people because it was common knowledge across may civilisations throughout the galaxy what he intended. Apocalypse has kept a low profile until recently. And is not in league with Death itself.

"...I'AM THE ROCKS OF THE ETERNAL SHORE, CRASH AGINST ME AND BE BROKEN!" :eg: yeah cartoon Apocalypse had some really good lines.

I was going to bring up the Ikaris thing but you beat me to it. I'm not sure if Thanos has ever taken on an Earth-born eternal.

In a one on one fight I think they'd be close.

Um, he hasn't taken on any Earthborn eternals off the top of my head. . .

He's only taken on Drax, Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer, Thor, Thing Hulk Hercules and Collosus ( at the same time ), the In-Betweener, Tyrant, Odin. . .

Quite a number of these people could take even the strongest Earth Eternal and splatter them across the solar system.

You overlooked where I said it was his campaign. You have an opinion fine.

But trying to apply your rules and your theory of how people should be on a campaign where you don't play and don't have all the data makes your argument invalid. In The Marvel Universe you might have a point, although there will be those who will agree with you and those who will disagree, but in his no you don't.

There is also what Thanos did in the comics. He was in love with death and so was opposed by many people because it was common knowledge across may civilisations throughout the galaxy what he intended. Apocalypse has kept a low profile until recently. And is not in league with Death itself.

Which is a lovely way of saying "No, I don't have any proof." Ever heard of an unfalsifiable hypothesis?

That fact that Apocalypse hasn't done anything in Thanos's league indicates that. . . there is no evidence that Apocalypse is in Thanos' league.

( and if Catacomb wants to buff up Apocalypse so in his campaign the guy is more powerful? He's entirely free to do so. . . and he could end this debate right now if he just said that yes, that is what he did. The fact that he hasn't, is evidence to my mind that he instead thinks that Apocalypse already *is* that powerful. . . which is what I object to, as its patently false. )

Which is a lovely way of saying "No, I don't have any proof." Ever heard of an unfalsifiable hypothesis?

But you don't have any proof either. You have an opinion. So does Catacomb.

And he is not persuaded by your argument and opinion. So why are you arguing the point ?

He can simply ignore it when for some reason you don't want him to.

Um, so, all the various events I've cited happening in the comics, didn't happen?

My "proof" that Thanos and Dr Strange are vastly more powerful than Apocalypse, is that they have, in fact, done vastly higher end feats in the comics. This is no more opinion than that the earth orbits around the sun.

And if your claim is that there is no proof, merely opinions all equally valid, well, please do confirm. It would speed you getting on my ignore list so I don't have to bother with drivel.

Um, so, all the various events I've cited happening in the comics, didn't happen?

My "proof" that Thanos and Dr Strange are vastly more powerful than Apocalypse, is that they have, in fact, done vastly higher end feats in the comics. This is no more opinion than that the earth orbits around the sun.

And if your claim is that there is no proof, merely opinions all equally valid, well, please do confirm.

I agree that there is proof, but facts do have context. You can't extend these canon feats to someone else's campaign and have them be "facts" any more than someone else can import different feats from their campaign and have those be "facts".

Since you aren't the GM of Catacomb's campaign, you have no authority to dictate the power level of characters in that campaign; any "facts" you may muster from outside it will carry the weight of opinions. Likewise, since Catacomb doesn't control the established feats from comics (et all), Catacomb doesn't have any authority to dictate the power levels of characters from the comics; any "facts" derived from Catacomb's campaign will have no bearing on the canon characters.

I don't understand why you insist on demanding that Catacomb explicitly acknowledge this distinction before you will cease pursuing a debate over it. I would consider the separation above to be default for all mentions (as in, true unless explicitly counter-indicated), so I don't understand why you consider Catacomb's lack of stated intent to be "evidence" that he actually meant to cross that line.

The Old Woman. Born at least 30' date='000 years ago, the Old Woman may be Earth's oldest Metahuman. Her accumulated knowledge and skills make her Earth's most powerful mystic, and her web of influence extends everywhere on the globe. She heads the Nine Unknown, a group of immortals whose agents have included many of the greatest heroes and villains in history. She herself is the reality behind many myths.[/quote']

Interestingly, I have someone very similar in the campaign I've been slowly designing over the past 15 years (though she goes by a different name, and she's retreated to another dimension with the sudden rise of superpowered activity). I'd guess that in my campaign, she's the most powerful (though hardly ever seen).

Second would be Hiroshima:

"In 1986, the world was presented with concrete evidence of the existence of superpowered individuals when the supervillain known as Hiroshima made his dramatic first appearance in New York, during the 100th anniversary celebrations of the Statue of Liberty. Hiroshima announced his intent to destroy the Statue at midnight, and easily fought off both local police and the military forces that were stationed nearby. However, on the stroke of midnight, nearly two dozen primes [term for superheroes in my campaign] emerged separately from the crowd to fight Hiroshima. The fight that took place was witnessed by every major news agency, and broadcast worldwide. Hiroshima was rendered unconscious, and taken into custody by the government. The superheroes left immediately after the combat, some carrying away their unconscious allies as the media closed in to question them."

Hiroshima was finally captured and executed...which caused the world to exercise a lot of caution about killing superpowered beings, as the radiation in his cells was released violently upon his death (the blast was seen from orbit). His place in the campaign has been taken up by another Hiroshima...apparently his son, who has the same powers (but is not as experienced in using them).

#3 is the Conjurer, a powerful sorcerer who works alone (similar to Dr. Strange). He rarely shows up on the scene when his skills are needed, instead sending a summoned creature to handle things while he views the situation through his scrying pool in his secret sanctum.

#4 would be Jonathan Weiss, head of Promethius Corporation. Promethius Corp is a multinational corporation that recently took over (they call it "assisting") a small African nation. As the head of that nation, Jonathan applied for the nation to join the U.N., and moved the capital to Promethius Isle, an artificial island located in the Gulf of Mexico. What the world doesn't know is that Jonathan Weiss is the last creation of the Third Reich, a shapeshifter with complete control over his physical form. He doesn't share the belief of the supremacy of the Aryan race...but he does believe that he is a higher form of life. His goal is to evolve humanity into a higher form via genetic manipulation...whether humanity wants to evolve or not.

#5 is Dragoness, one of the members of Justice, Inc (formerly the Middleton Defenders). This is my wife's former PC from a early 90's campaign, where she played a dragon who was discovered while still in the egg by a government agent. When the egg hatched, the dragon imprinted on the agent, switching to a human form. At the time of the campaign, her human form was nine years old, and she began to fight crime in her dragon form. As a kid dragon, she was small, with only 4 levels of Growth, and a 65 Strength (and 35 STR in *human* form). Now in her early 20's, Dragoness is a LARGE dragon, and her growing magical abilities make her formidable even in her human form.

Honorable mention goes to Teke, now deceased. On September 11th, 2001, Teke held up the Two Towers with telekinesis long enough for them to be evacuated. His heart finally gave out under the strain, and he received a monument at the disaster site. If he was still alive, he'd be #3 on the list.

Templar, nice to see Analagous make the number one spot since I came up with his name and concept waaaay back for Frydaddy!

You forgot to add Jack Kirby (Nighthawk) to your list! I mean he single handedly beat Eurostar.....in his secret ID! (granted it was a divide and conguer thing...and Fiacho was not present;) )

I'm still in the process of fleshing out my campaign world (I haven't come up with any major villains) but I do have two world shaking NPCs.

My campaign is going to be Modern Military Epic High Fantasy w/Superpowers!

1. Anax Nicodemus I, Emperor of the Imperium: A 20,000+ year old archmage of currently unrivaled power on the game world's plane of existence (there are singularly more powerful beings in the campaign multiverse, just none currently running around the world the PCs will start off in) He is the High King (Anax) and Emperor of a vast Theocratic Monarchy known as the Imperium. Personal power level I'm shooting for Thanos with Dr. Strange level magic.

2. Lord Grand Chancellor Roland, the Hammer: He's the cousin of Nicodemus well over a thousand years old (but due to time travel and other influences Nicodemus is much much older). Serving as the Emperor's crushing Right Hand he's a mega-brick (STR in excess of 150) and a HTH combatant par excellence. Think a non-Evil version of Darth Vader to the Emperor's, well, Emperor. ;)

I'm thinking the major uber-adversary is going to be a Mephisto styled tempter with serious demonic influence and infernal magic. A corrupter and the source of much of the game world's over arching misery. Prime accolyte of the god of Evil. Like Sauron he corrupted a race of elves to create Orcs.

I'm also thinking of having a Ctthulu-esque styled alien/uncomprehendible Evil from beyond. I have the source for these Evil entities already thought out in my cosmology, I just haven't come up with the mode by which they'd be expressed. Any ideas would be welcome.

TB

Oh, and let me lend my vote in the: Thanos would b!tch slap Apoc like a five year old girl. Apoc is just not in the same league as Thanos et al.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an awesome character (at least as shown in the cartoon, which is where I first was introduced to him) and he's a very powerful villain (I'd say at the Dr. Doom/Magneto Level, though I'd peg Doom as being higher because of his rediscovered magical abilities)

TB

I'll come down on the side of Thanos, but the puzzler in that list, for me, was Reed Richards. ;) Smart? Yes. Resources? Yes. Power? Some, but..

Just to add a footnote - Thanos is the most powerful of the Titanian Eternals, and possesses the energy-manipulating abilities common to Earth-born Eternals, coupled with numerous experiments he has conducted upon himself to imbue himself with additional power. He's more than a match for any given Earth-born Eternal.

I'll come down on the side of Thanos, but the puzzler in that list, for me, was Reed Richards. ;) Smart? Yes. Resources? Yes. Power? Some, but..

Just to add a footnote - Thanos is the most powerful of the Titanian Eternals, and possesses the energy-manipulating abilities common to Earth-born Eternals, coupled with numerous experiments he has conducted upon himself to imbue himself with additional power. He's more than a match for any given Earth-born Eternal.

Yeah, this is almost always mentioned in his description. He was a mutant Titan Eternal, he was possibly only outstripped in baseline power by the head Earth Eternal and that was before he started on his path of obtaining his current lofty heights of raw power.

TB

I can see Reed being on lists like that, actually. Intelligence and scientific resources on the scale he has puts him up as a major power. He and Doom are basically walking plot devices.