Power writeup: Alter Reality, Radius Effect

I've been mulling over how to do this. The quick and dirty method is a blanket Major Transform AoE, existing reality-->altered reality.

But I was contemplating a modified XDM "gate" effect, where the XDM was UAA, and affected an area, essentially transporting it into the altered reality.

So, anything traveling into and out of the radius is instantly altered(unless somehow immune/resistant to the effect).

Would it be better to do this by linking the Transform and XDM together?

Would I need to buy the ultra expensive extra mass advantage for the UAA?

Re: Power writeup: Alter Reality, Radius Effect

I've been mulling over how to do this. The quick and dirty method is a blanket Major Transform AoE, existing reality-->altered reality.

But I was contemplating a modified XDM "gate" effect, where the XDM was UAA, and affected an area, essentially transporting it into the altered reality.

So, anything traveling into and out of the radius is instantly altered(unless somehow immune/resistant to the effect).

Would it be better to do this by linking the Transform and XDM together?

Would I need to buy the ultra expensive extra mass advantage for the UAA?

How extensive is your change? Could it fall under a Change Environment instead?

How extensive is your change? Could it fall under a Change Environment instead?

well, I was thinking of something along the lines of Glorian, or the Shaper of Worlds, or even simulating the Kulan Gath spell that turned NYC into his own realm, but left the rest of the world unchanged.

The CE effect would have to be in a VPP to simulate the range of effects required...

well' date=' I was thinking of something along the lines of Glorian, or the Shaper of Worlds, or even simulating the Kulan Gath spell that turned NYC into his own realm, but left the rest of the world unchanged.[/quote']

It would also be useful for simulating the abilities of the Maze graduates from Simon Green's "Deathstalker" series.

I look forward with interest to seeing what you come up with.

I guess my idea was that the affected area is transported to a pocket "limbo" dimension and replaced with a pocket dimension that conforms to the desired result. Perhaps a small continuous transform could be linked to it, so that PCs in the affected area are gradually changed.

I have a Character Named Protean who has a power like this.

For him I purchased a Rality Warping (cosmic)V.P.P. with the limitation only to a 10" Radius. Hecould do what ever he wanted from creating missle to teleporting within his 10"r however outside of that he was no so impresive.

Have you considered that option? Or even a reduced by range?

let's see:

XDM to related group of dimensions(altered realities)

increased mass?

Usable against others(defenses: XDM, power defense, teleport?, luck, probability powers, LS: immune to reality alteration)

Area Effect radius

(megascale for big effects)

continuous

(uncontrolled for "fire and forget")

(red end, persistent for a lasting alteration)

(may or may not be invisible to conventional detection)

and

1 or 2 major Transforms(one physical, one BOECV)

range of possible effects

partial effect

area effect radius

continuous

delayed activation/gradual effect(transform takes effect over a period of minutes, hours, days or even weeks)

and(optional)

Change Environment

similar advantages

range of effects

Luck

and possibly a VPP which only works inside the radius of effect, as suggested.

It is, of course, largely a "plot device" type of power, yet I find it useful to be able to writeup even those types of powers.:)

Depending on how extensive the change is, I would do it with either Change Environment or Transform AE, or both. And by "extensive" I mean how much of a game effect it has. So how much of a game effect do you want here?

Is Kulan Gath the wizard guy from Marvel (Spiderman?) who changed everything into a quasi-medieval-fantasy counterpart? I'd call that a MegaScaled CE, since it had very little game effect. Sure it was mighty impressive, and it did have some effect, which is why it's more than just a SFX handwave.

I really dislike using EDM for reality altering. EDM is supposed to move you between dimentions, not alter the dimention you are in, nor create a new dimention that's just the way you want it. Sure, I'd like to move to the dimention where I am absolute ruler of the world, but that doesn't mean such a dimention exists. You can't EDM to a place that doesn't exist any more than you could Fly, Run, or Swim to a place that doesn't exist.

And even if you move everyone (and everything) within your AoE to another dimention, it doesn't change the dimention you just left (except for those missing people and things). If I move New York City to the dimention where I am absolute dictator, the rest of the world will go on without New York City. Sure, many people will wonder where NYC went and be rightly concerned. And Mr. Fantabulous will probably use his quantum scanners to determine that the city was taken to another dimention. But it isn't "Reality Altering;" it's just picking something up and moving it somewhere else.

Depending on how extensive the change is, I would do it with either Change Environment or Transform AE, or both. And by "extensive" I mean how much of a game effect it has. So how much of a game effect do you want here?

Is Kulan Gath the wizard guy from Marvel (Spiderman?) who changed everything into a quasi-medieval-fantasy counterpart? I'd call that a MegaScaled CE, since it had very little game effect. Sure it was mighty impressive, and it did have some effect, which is why it's more than just a SFX handwave.

I really dislike using EDM for reality altering. EDM is supposed to move you between dimentions, not alter the dimention you are in, nor create a new dimention that's just the way you want it. Sure, I'd like to move to the dimention where I am absolute ruler of the world, but that doesn't mean such a dimention exists. You can't EDM to a place that doesn't exist any more than you could Fly, Run, or Swim to a place that doesn't exist.

And even if you move everyone (and everything) within your AoE to another dimention, it doesn't change the dimention you just left (except for those missing people and things). If I move New York City to the dimention where I am absolute dictator, the rest of the world will go on without New York City. Sure, many people will wonder where NYC went and be rightly concerned. And Mr. Fantabulous will probably use his quantum scanners to determine that the city was taken to another dimention. But it isn't "Reality Altering;" it's just picking something up and moving it somewhere else.

Well, there are flaws in the Transform/CE approach--for one, it's insanely expensive to do near instantly; for another, the kind of variability of result(even between objects subjected to the same Transform) is probably a bit shaky.

For example, the reality altering effects which take place in, say, House of M. How exactly would one writeup that Transform, such that 200 major characters are each affected differently by the same Transform?

Well' date=' there are flaws in the Transform/CE approach--for one, it's insanely expensive to do near instantly;[/quote']

What's the problem? Is a half-phase action not fast enough? CE is not particularly expensive, and MegaScale is only a +1/4 advantage. Likewise Transform, AE, MS only costs 10.25/20.5/30.75 per die depending on how drastic the change is. I still don't know what specific changes you're trying to make, so I don't knwo which is appropriate. And just because it's more expensive than you'd like, doesn't mean it shouldn't be that expensive.

for another, the kind of variability of result(even between objects subjected to the same Transform) is probably a bit shaky.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Perhaps if you could explicitly spell out the alteration(s) you want to make.

For example, the reality altering effects which take place in, say, House of M. How exactly would one writeup that Transform, such that 200 major characters are each affected differently by the same Transform?

I'm not familiar with that particular comic, so I don't know. Was I right about who Kulan Gath is? If so, I'd do it with a MegaScaled CE, since the combat effects are minimal.

House of M altered the back stories and current state of being of about 200 major Marvel characters' date=' all over the world. It wasn't one simple effect; it was essentially 200 different individual effects, subsumed under one power.[/quote']

Could it be done with Selective Targeting in an AOE, with Variable Effects?

If the exact effect of the power was determined per successful hit, and the House of M managed to hit each and every one of those major Marvel characters within the AOE, that might do it.

House of M altered the back stories and current state of being of about 200 major Marvel characters' date=' all over the world. It wasn't one simple effect; it was essentially 200 different individual effects, subsumed under one power.[/quote']

0pt GM Fiat, done by a character that was currently an NPC and under the GM's control.

I could see EDM done for something similar to Zelazney's Amber, where a person is either moving to a specific reality or moving an item to him (for the Lords of Chaos).

So we have a few options:

1. Transform--to represent major changes to people/objects

2. Change Environment, to represent environmental changes like weather, terrain, etc.

3. Extradimensional movement--to switch one reality with another

4. VPP, only usable within X radius

5. luck/unluck, usable by or against others, to represent a general change in fortune

6. positive/neg skill levels, uaa, if we're just talking about altering probability

7. summon, linked to XDM, to swap one version of a person with another

Looking at your comments, megaplayboy, I find myself still wanting more specifics about what you want the power to do. For example:

How big an area is being affected?

Is everything in the area affected simultaneously and equally, or can the character pick and choose what he wants to effect, and how?

Does the character with the power control the specifics of how any target is affected, or do the effects vary within general parameters, or is the result completely outside the character's control?

How are affected people changed? Physical abilities and characteristics? Thoughts and/or memories? Social status and/or resources?

Are people affected by the change aware that a change has occurred?

Is the physical environment in the area altered? If so, is it altered in a way that could have combat effects on people within it? What sort of effects?

Is the change tied to the area, so that anyone entering it is affected? What about someone who leaves it?

Is there any way for someone to be protected from the change so that it doesn't affect him?

Looking at your comments, megaplayboy, I find myself still wanting more specifics about what you want the power to do. For example:

How big an area is being affected?

Any size area, in theory--that part of the writeup would be rather generic.

Is everything in the area affected simultaneously and equally, or can the character pick and choose what he wants to effect, and how?

everything within the radius would be changed in conformity with the user's wishes--so, there could be both selectivity and variability of results with each use.

Does the character with the power control the specifics of how any target is affected, or do the effects vary within general parameters, or is the result completely outside the character's control?

hmm. I'd say it's possible they could, but the general effect is to conform the local reality(and inhabitants thereof) to a set of new parameters set by the user.

How are affected people changed? Physical abilities and characteristics? Thoughts and/or memories? Social status and/or resources?

in theory, all of the above--within the area affected.

Are people affected by the change aware that a change has occurred?

depends on whether the user desires them to be aware of it or not--the default, I'd say, is 'no'.

Is the physical environment in the area altered? If so, is it altered in a way that could have combat effects on people within it? What sort of effects?

you mean, could the power turn a mountain into a volcano, for example?Possibly. This would be pretty variable.

Is the change tied to the area, so that anyone entering it is affected? What about someone who leaves it?

anyone who leaves the area will gradually revert to normal. anyone who enters the area will gradually be altered by it.

Is there any way for someone to be protected from the change so that it doesn't affect him?

yes--any force field not based on technology; power defense; any character with magical or cosmic abilities; and anyone with extremely strong will will be at least highly resistant to the effects; perhaps a specifically attuned protective shield(mystic/cosmic pow def ff or armor) or something esoteric like LS: immune to reality alteration(10 points) would cover it.

answers in bold.

I wouldn't have a problem with a UAA Gate type Extradimensional Movement. I say UAA because presumably you are shifting everything in the affected area immediately rather than creating a gateway through which it can all move if it desires.

There is one caveat: the target dimension or set of target dimensions are going to have to agree with the setting's dimensional structure, and that is going to have to be up to the GM. If the setting has an, "infinite dimensions representing all shades of possible alternate realities," then it will probably work fine. If there are a set of fixed alternate dimensions such as, "elemental planes," or whatever, you are going to have to be limited to those. In short, the XDM solution is going to be very campaign dependent.

EDIT: And if there isn't an infiinite-reality type dimensinoal topography, you are going to have to be limited to the laws of the actual other dimensions, not any laws/effects you desire. Even in the infinite-reality case there may be laws (such as gravity) that are common to all of them.

Re: Easy answer

There's an easy way to solve this and it won't cost you any points: just be the GM. Ok' date=' problem solved. ;)[/quote']

Not quite. How you use your dimensions could also be opening up a world of hurt from the PCs' powers. Also it could conflict with other story reasons for having a certain dimensional landscape. So it may be easier to solve, but not quite that trivial.

Okay, megaplayboy: based on your description, I think I'd start with Transform as the base Power. It would either be Minor or Major Transform, depending on how sizeable you anticipate the changes being. It would probably be a small Transform, but Continuous so that its effects would gradually accumulate. 0 END and Persistant may be appropriate as well. I'd also recommend making it NND so that the Defenses you listed would protect against it, or possibly just Limit the Transform to not work vs those Defenses.

IMO you'd need both Physical and Mental Transform; I know you're not supposed to throw the two of those together because Mental Transform is based on ECV, but there is published precedent in favor of making an exception, for example the talisman used by the Slug in Conquerors, Killers And Crooks. I'd also suggest adding Spiritual Transfrom - I use this to make changes to characters affecting how they relate to the rest of human society, such as adding Perks or Social Limitations. I once asked Steve Long about this, and he agreed that it was a reasonable use of Spiritual Transform

You'll obviously need Improved Target Group for Transform, but the size of that Advantage will depend on how wide a range of effects the user of the Power can achieve. Area Of Effect is required, perhaps MegaScaled if you want it to be that large. Based on your description I wouldn't add Selective Target - the variability in how targets are affected sounds more like something the user of the Power chooses for everyone in the area at the time he throws the Power, rather than on a person-by-person basis. Besides, for a really huge area the user would need some wicked Enhanced Targeting Sense to target everyone individually. OTOH he might have a lesser version of this Power which would be Selective Target or even non-AOE, for people who warranted his special attention.

How does that sound?

Well, other examples of this kind of power might be:

People transported into a Dreamscape(or Freddyverse, for that matter)

A city transported/transformed into the world of the PC/NPC's imagination

(note that the nature of such powers tend to suggest solutions to dissipate such states of being).