Need a seventh character

bigdamnhero

I have a stock team of superheroes that I use for con games, demos and the like, called the Mile-High Club. (Based in Denver, natch.) I tried to build a diverse and well-balanced team that really showcases the versatility of the system. I'd like to add a seventh PC, preferably female, just to give the players another choice or two. But I'm having trouble coming up with the perfect match. So given that, what do you think this team needs?

• Supersonic: sound-based energy pro

• Cutting Edge: weaponmaster & martial artist; Green Arrow with trick knives instead of arrows

• Iron Maiden: female power-armored brick/energy pro

• Illuminatus: master of mysticism; combat-sorcery MP and a VPP of pre-generated minor spells

• Magnetica: female magnetism-based telekinetic/energy pro

• Force Majeure: powerful telekinesis, but with only a 1cm range; effectively a flying brick

I'd prefer to stay away from mentalists (personal preferance) or blatant cliche/homage characters. What I'd love is a character that makes a new player think "Wow! I couldn't do this in (insert name of other game system here)!" while avoiding complex power builds unsuitable for novice players. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need a seventh character

Teleporting speedster-like character with both short- and long-range TP abilities was the first thing that came to mind. A speedster, a metamorph (shape-changer or size changer) or a mentalist would add more depth to the team, but they're not needed.

Think more of special effects than archetypes: maybe a darkness character or someone who can control senses, a pure brick or maybe a "living lightning" sort of character.

In all honesty, your team is already mixing up basic archetypes, so I don't see any reason to try and "cover all the bases". Just make a character you like and have fun with it.

I second the Multiform idea, though such a character can be hard for a novice to wrap his mind around and operate effectively in a con environment.

An invisible martial artist is another possibility.

Id go with a terra-kinetic or ice manipulator. In Colorado either would be useful.

That, or an alien. I have a character in my campaign named Crimson Avenger who is an extraterrestrial being made of Solid Light. He comes across alot like Martian Manhunter in that he is super strong, tough, can fly, can be intangible, and change his shape. He cant read minds (that wouldnt make sense) but as the campaign progresses hes been learning to project his solid light out from himself, kind of like a Green lantern power ring on a smaller scale.

Female dark avenger type who wears a long cloak and packs twin .45 automatics. Power suite revolves around Desolidification (affected by mental, radiation and nuclear-type attacks), Flight (only when Desolid), RKA Affects Physical World (the .45 autos - bullets solidify when they leave the barrel), STR Affects Physical World (normal level STR) and basic Commando Training. Various sneaking, detective and science type skills. Powers came about as a result of an accident in a particle physics lab.

Yes, it's a sort of tribute character but it's a bit obscure for the average gamer ;)

Of course a mentalist would be the obvious choice, but I don't blame you for wanting to avoid them.

I would go with a time-manipulating (not time-travelling) speedster, because I think that kind of character can really showcase some of the flexibility you can have with the HERO system as well as rounding out your team. Also, I would give this character some kind of pre/retrocognition with no conscious control so you can throw the players a bone when they are stuck, because you never know with a group of unknown players. Good luck!

If mentalists are out, I agree with the metamorph suggestion. In that case you want a really cool metamorph. ;)

Just to offer one concept that comes to my mind: Gravel. Kinda like the Sandman, only grittier. :P The concept can justify Density Increase, for a solid-stone form; Desolid when becoming a mass of loose pebbles; Stretching, Hand-To-Hand Attack, or Hand-To-Hand Killing Attack, depending on reshaping her limbs; Energy Blast or Ranged Killing Attack, from throwing bits of her body; Shape Shift to appear as different forms of statuary, or even part of a wall or floor; Healing requiring absorbing nearby stone. I'm sure you can come up with other applications if desired. Versatile, but most of these abilities aren't too complex to run.

Other possible names could be Quarry, Mason, or Monolith

Go simple... You need a classic Brick: Terracotta!

Or something like that.

Give her some unique Brick Tricks and you'll have a very fun character that adds value and fun to your games.

(NOTE: The attached Terracotta picture is a quickly modified Ms. Marvel rendering originally created by Michael Turner. Notice that I left his sig on the pic.)

Metamorph/Brick would be a nice compliment to what you've got there - but if you want to avoid homage characters, instead of going the Plastic-Man/ Reed Richards stretchy, turn-yourself-into-a-mailbox (with your face on it, natch) metamorph route, how about a Mass Alteration based Metamorph w/ powers like Growth, Shrinking, DI, or Desolid & back it up w/ decent STR to serve as a sort of back-up brick to your powersuit gal?

As your wanting to use this team to show off the functions of the system at cons and what not, might as well try to include as many types of powers as possible. Getting some body alteration in there would be cool.

Names?

Hmm...

Nucleo-Girl ?(sounds a bit radioactive, but some might get the cellular reference)

Mass Lass ?(sorry.. couldn't resist.)

Thanks all! I had thought of some sort of body manipulation character, but didn't want to do the classic Stretch Armstrong routine. I think something along the lines of the Gravel concept is what I was looking for - versatile and shows off a lot of different powers! :thumbup:

But feel free to keep suggesting othrer ideas if you've got them. :bounce:

Hey' date=' if you're not 100% deadset on the 7th member being female, you could name your metamorph [b']"Alter-Boy."[/b]

(Insert your own borderline inappropriate joke about him having Hunted: Priests Who Misinterpret His Name; 8- here.)

Hmm...none of the jokes I can think of are only borderline inappropriate. :D

BTW, you do know there's actually an Astro City character called Altar Boy? He's the Confessor's sidekick.