WWYCD if their reflection suddenly winked at them?

Robyn

This isn't fully a "What would your character do?" so much as a "How would you, as a player, react when the GM told you this?":

"The following morning, as you're looking into the mirror, you see your reflection's posture subtly change to one other than your own, and it deliberately winks at you."

Re: WWYCD if their reflection suddenly winked at them?

Schaister flips the bird and breaks the mirror.

Hornet is startled, and suspects some form of light based illusion. And if this is at home, he's immediately worried his secret identity is at risk, and may contact his teammates and evacuate his wife and daughter.

Blaze..well, after wimpy Andy turns into Blaze starts playing charades.

Demon..well, he has no reflection normally, so he really is curious. Not scared. He'd try waving.

Anthem backs up. She does a few moves to diagnose that she is indeed in synch with her mirror. When the reflection does nothing else, she decides she's been working too hard and takes the day off.

Uncle Slam would assume this is like one of the other times. He would pull the proper research books and contact the thaumaturgist his people keep on retainer.

Audra Blue would verify that she is not jacked into the net and experiencing this there. Then after checking out the mirror to make sure it's the same polished piece of steel that's used in all the other rooms throughout the base, she'd make sure she took her meds. But she'd keep an eye on that mirror, just in case.

Special Agent Trent:

He sighs. It looks like the detrimental effects of his powers on his brain are more extensive than he thought. He'll contact his superiors, report the hallucination, and get himself checked into someplace where they can try to treat him, or at least keep him from ending up on a crazed psychokinetic rampage.

He wouldn't show it, and might not even realize it himself, but he'd be afraid.

Blackberry:

Stuff like that happens frequently enough to herself and her associates, but still, it's rude to essentially tell someone "something interesting is going to happen soon" but not follow-up with any details.

She'd tap her foot for a moment, waiting expectantly for details, then if none was forthcoming, go off, mildly irked.

Sarah - immediately shoot the mirror. Her other half is supposed to behave and not screw around with her head anymore...

Jessica - peer curiously at the mirror, mimic a few hand gestures, ask her reflection if it wanted to play a hand of poker?

Whisper - "I have eyes?" :confused: Then leap into the mirror to cross the mirrorwall and throttle the dopelganger.

The Specter - Take down mirror, cover it with piece of cloth. Change into hero garb and cunsult with team's wizard.

Revenant- Attempts sign-language communucation, in case this is some sort of dimensional breach or something mystical. If the reflection -only- signs back what he signs to it, Revenant then covers the mirror and goes to bed. When he wakes up, if the reflection is still acting wonky, its time to call Doctor Midnight!

Depends on if Queen of Spades is wearing her Armor or not... but it's still out of the ordinary.

She'll still shake her head, cover the mirror, and chalk it up to some of the wierdness in Vibora Bay finally creeping into her room.

Void: Quietly stare back at the reflection, then yell for Darkchild to get her furry tail in there and explain what the heck's going on.

Hunter: Be found in the corner, her notes clutched to her chest, glaring at the mirror.

Darkchild: Turn to all the mirrors involved and ream Coyote, Loki, or whatever trickster was involved out for screwing with her friends - that wasn't part of the bargain.

Then, if that didn't work, start working up exorcisms.

Me (since you *did* ask): "Their reflections winked... so what's the punchline?"

Me (since you *did* ask): "Their reflections winked... so what's the punchline?"

Just wondering how "into" their characters most players are. Some heroes (especially at the superheroic level) are so used to odd stuff that they would take it in stride, but for the rest, I wonder how long the players would take to process what had happened and think about what their character would do.

I would personally hope to be deeply enough "into" my character to respond by freaking out and diving away from the mirror, or throwing myself backward onto the floor for stability before firing a spray of high-velocity thorns at the mirror. Part of this reaction being acted out IRL right away, of course.

Just wondering how "into" their characters most players are. Some heroes (especially at the superheroic level) are so used to odd stuff that they would take it in stride' date=' but for the rest, I wonder how long the players would take to process what had happened and think about what their character would do.[/quote']

Oh, my response would have been after Void and Huntress were done freaking out, and Darkchild was lecturing whatever Trickster had decided to expand his gags to her oh-so-serious compatriots.

Just wondering how "into" their characters most players are. Some heroes (especially at the superheroic level) are so used to odd stuff that they would take it in stride' date=' but for the rest,[/quote']

True ... really, most of my characters are fairly experienced, or at the very least have unusual enough backgrounds that weird becomes truly relative. War Wolf, for example, hangs around with:

1. An Avalonian Knight with an invisible pixie companion

2. A stage magician who has a magic deck of Poker cards

3. A pastiche of Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect who warps probability *and* is a practitioner of Towel-Lin Kung Fu ... and he's quite literally a walking Chaos generator.

4. A mutant with magnetic powers, and WW is a robot.

Weird stuff happens every day. WW's going to be more worried when something NORMAL happens!

I really should play a rookie someday ...

Thia: *long pause* Turns, walks out, finds Jarome. "Has your reflection ever... winked at you?" Jarome would likely stop what he was doing, stare long and hard at Thia, get a ****-eyed smirk on his face and ask "Do you mean do I wink at me in the morning, because I'm a sexy *****?" Thia would issue a long suffering sigh, half expecting that from the rogue. "No, I mean... has your reflection, with zero assistance from you, ever WINKED?"

Jarome: "Eh... no." Thia: "Right then. We're going to the library." Thia doesn't take no sass from a mirror.

This isn't fully a "What would your character do?" so much as a "How would you, as a player, react when the GM told you this?":

"The following morning, as you're looking into the mirror, you see your reflection's posture subtly change to one other than your own, and it deliberately winks at you."

Liane: "Jonathan!" He's an illusionist with an odd sense of humour. He also should not be in a position to generate that particular illusion.

Faye: "Gyah!" and just... stare. If the reflection goes back to acting normal after that, she'll relax and stop giving herself a headache.

Ika: Exorcise the mirror. She really doesn't understand how mirrors work.

Phoenix: Contact David (Kim, is that the right person? I know we have contact with at lest one mage)

Me: Are you serious? You're really sersious? OK....

Tao: Would immediately suspect an illusionist or mentalist was responsible and contat the team leader immediately. Since would review her last few hours actions fo any apparent inconsistencies and her person and computer data for known active mentalists criminal after constructing a quick profile and work with The Face (Team detectice to see if they could isolate a few possbilities)

Eve would squeal, run and deal her daddy right away!

Ivy would, if it didn't happen again or anything else odd occur would dismiss it as stress from all the recent things going on in her life.

Timberwolf (AKA The Dave), after a long pause looks back at the mirror and announces “You’re a DAMN good looking manâ€!! And waits for the reflection to reply “I know man, we SLAYâ€!! When it does he will contact his metaphysical/magical buds to see what’s up. :D

Golden Eagle would investigate. He would have a full neurological workup done to see if he had any tics he was unaware of. He would place two time-synced video recorders so that he could examine the phenomenon. He would reluctantly ask the Avenger to give his paranormal opinion, mostly as a creativity exercise.

• 4 weeks later...

Penumbra would wonder which of two (or more) individuals it might be:

1. the annoying "cousin", who looks just like him, and thinks Pen's life is "bright, man, like shining!"
  2. the dangerous "cousin", who looks just like him, and simply sees most normal people as amusing toys to play with and then break
  3. possibly some other, as-yet unknown "cousin", who lo... well, you get the idea, and is simply popping up to make his life even more disturbing.

He'd take a "cautious wait and see" approach, since friendly and paranoid have both been unsuccessful. And as for being surprised by mirrors doing odd things, well, that's just a day in the life, man.

Spectrum: Do a double take then take a closer look at his reflection, make a few movements and gestures to make sure everything is normal and figure that it just his imagination due to morning groggyness. Or, depending on what the previous day was like, freak out and fire a light blast at the mirror.