The thing's I've learned playing a Brick...

Bloodstone

Re: The thing's I've learned playing a Brick...

Well, if Bricks deal more damage than MA's, then it's the MA's who are getting cheated.

Archetypes and team roles man.

The Brick is the "Tank." He soaks up aggro and damage. IN GENERAL.

The Martial Artist is the "Scrapper." He deals out tons of damage, but he can't take nearly as much as he can give.

Different playstyles, different feels.

A Brick combined with a Martial Artist.......... full on?

A scary thing.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im basing my oppinions of the comics ive read, such as thor superman captain america not City of heroes idea of a brick.

The heavy hitters, so called because they deal the most damage not because they can take a hit, are to a man bricks and blasters. Not kung fu masters no matter how skilled.

Our visions seem quite different, but sameness would be boring after all.

Please, this thread wasn't started to define what a Brick is and how they should compare with other archetypes, but to tell people "The thing's I've learned playing a Brick..."

On that note:

Pushing a Force Field is not a stupid thing to do (if you have one)...

Persevere.

I tend to always play bricks, and no matter how strong you are or how much damage you can soak, the GM can always make someone who is as tough if not tougher than you. And GMs love to beat up bricks. So the best thing you can do is never give up. Keep fighting. If you get knocked down, your defenses and REC mean that you should be up soon. And as soon as you get up start fighting bad guys no matter how low your END is. It makes for some impressive gaming moments, I can tell you.

Villain Brick (Through gritted teeth as I get up from unconsciousness for the umpteenth time that combat): Stay down!!!

My Brick (Battered but grinning as I wind up a punch): Make me.

You're the one with massive defenses so guess who's going to have to dive into the lava filled control room of Dr Evil to power down his nuclear reactor which is about to go critical? Sure you're confident about your ED being enough for that little old lava, but what about if that reactor blows?...

You might go down, but you get up fast.

Look at it this way, I see a brick as having high Str, High Defences, Endurance and Stun, now that doesn't always happen.

But almost everyone can agree, a brick is the strongest C.

You're the one with massive defenses so guess who's going to have to dive into the lava filled control room of Dr Evil to power down his nuclear reactor which is about to go critical? Sure you're confident about your ED being enough for that little old lava' date=' but what about if that reactor blows?...[/quote']

----radiation acident? That is considering that you can servive the explosion in the first place.

...That ROLE-PLAYING a Brick can be a challege yet quite rewarding.

Brick's often have to deal with the world in special ways. Unlike most Blasters and Martial Artists many a Brick can't just hang up his cape or fold away his Gi at the end of the day and join society as an unidentifiable member of the masses.

It's a great challenge to delve into the mind of a distorted rock giant or a man heavy enough to leave his footprint in concrete with every step. If your Brick can even fit into a local restaurant, how does he sit in the frail wooden chairs, hold the silverware or, god forbid, chop sticks? Can a simple crystal wine glass withstand even his most gentle grasp?

While some Bricks can turn their powers on or off there are others who have to deal with their power on a day-to-day basis. Let that personality out, feel the frustration or joy of being abnormal and channel that spirit into a better character and game.

Martial Arts, Combat Skill Levels (maybe costs END,) an Aid to DEX (perhaps usable only so may times a day) - but get SOME way to bring up your OCV when you NEED it, or you're going to have some frustrating times when you just can't seem to hit that pesky gadfly that won't STAND STILL!

Remember, it doesn't matter how massive your damage is if you can't hit your target; if you never connect, the damage you do is ZER0.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary observes that Lucius seems to have figured out the point of the thread now....

Martial Arts' date=' Combat Skill Levels (maybe costs END,) an Aid to DEX (perhaps usable only so may times a day) - but get SOME way to bring up your OCV when you NEED it, or you're going to have some frustrating times when you just can't seem to hit that pesky gadfly that won't STAND STILL! [/b']

Remember, it doesn't matter how massive your damage is if you can't hit your target; if you never connect, the damage you do is ZER0.

Once again, this is the reason for grabbing something and performing an AoE attack with it, but sometmes there just isn't anything to hand except your team-mates and they tend to frown on that sort of thing.

I really need to get my mind out of the gutter....

Agreed. You're blocking my periscope!

[edit: whoops, clicked on the wrong spot. dang newfangled computer thingies]

Feigning an enraged over some slight in the first encounter may cause the villian to miscalucate in the second. Let them think you're a big, dumb, lug who can't take any teasing; however, this should usually be done only if the evildoer is obviously going to escape or is obviously about to be captured.

Let them think you're a big' date=' dumb, lug who can't take any teasing...[/quote']

This can be done in the reverse too.

My character BASTION (Dr. Sebastian Castle) derives his powers (GROWTH & shrinking) via an invention:

"Bastion's powers are derived from a complex mechanism of his own creation that manipulates subatomic chromodynamic forces. Utilizing the Chromo-Dial, a complex Chromo-Field projector worn around his waist, and field amplifiers constructed as bracers Bastion is able to manipulate his size and mass from subatomic to gigantic."

Often the vilains take hjim for an egg-head. It's funny how they chide him... until he grows as big as the St. Louis Arch! :eg:

Foxiekins;

It's in a sidebar in the Ultimate Brick. Page 45.

To GM properly, I'm going to have to invest in the entire Ultimate collection, aren't I...? Anyway, this will be handy for the Brick I have, made out of Metal, with 3 permanent levels of Density Increase... Or the equivalent powers to that, given that that's how you're supposed to do it now, instead of putting Always On on Density Increase...

Other powers he has... Armor Piercing advantage for his STR, to reflect that his hands are steel-hard and have 8 times the mass of a normal human's hands, as well as a ranged attack, the SFX of which is a Slingshot firing ball bearings, stressed for him to be able to use his full strength with it, which means it will do a 2d6 RKA, so I figure having a Casual STR of 30 instead of 15 sounds about right for him...

Well, by needs I meant having them on hand, so when someone says I wanna play a _____________, you can hand them the appropriate Ultimate guide... Plus it would let me spice up and individualize Villains... Gotta save up cash, ayup...

Once again' date=' this is the reason for grabbing something and performing an AoE attack with it, but sometmes there just isn't anything to hand except your team-mates and they tend to frown on that sort of thing.[/quote']

When the gadfly is IN your hex, that doesn't help. I'd have been clobbering myself. But what I would have given then for just two levels on OCV.....

Lucius Alexander

Is there a power, skill, advantage, or limitation, that I HAVEN'T somehow referenced in a palindromedary tagline?

Other powers he has... Armor Piercing advantage for his STR' date=' to reflect that his hands are steel-hard and have 8 times the mass of a normal human's hands, as well as a ranged attack, the SFX of which is a Slingshot firing ball bearings, stressed for him to be able to use his full strength with it, which means it will do a 2d6 RKA, so I figure having a Casual STR of 30 instead of 15 sounds about right for him...[/quote']

First of all, you have some good ideas here. My compliments.

Secondly, and this isn't a criticism of the character, why would he need a slingshot for a ranged attack? He *is* a brick, after all; couldn't he just throw the ball bearings at people?