The Things I've Learned Playing A Mentalist

CrosshairCollie

Re: The Things I've Learned Playing A Mentalist

Mind Scan is your friend.

Do a quick reconoiter of the ares at the start of a fight, then run into cover or as far away as you can, preferably both. Then fire up the old mind scan, seeing as you KNOW you don't have to cover a lot of area. This works best if you can still communicate with your teammates. If they can call down the mental equivalent of fire-support, they will not begrudge you this tactic.

Wear a Judo Gi' date='...and jump around like a Martial Artist... If you don't and your opponents find out you're a mentalist they're likely to launch an Alpha salvo against you. They'll disregard all other (possibly more potent) threats to eliminate a guy who can get into their weak little minds.[/quote']

Costume means target; I'm wearing street clothes.

The modern day super campaign equivalent of the Wizard Disguise. In many a fantasy campaign, I've seen wizards who 1) keep well away from robes (forget robes with stars!) and who 2) sling a sword scabbard across their back. All to hopefully avoid the aforementioned "alpha salvo".

Even if you're 'the world's most powerful telepath,' it is not kosher to mind-control every freakin' enemy you encounter, mind-wipe them, and turn them into a hero.

Yes, that happened in one I was involved in. No, I wasn't the person who approved the character. Yes, everybody was living in abject terror of the borderline sociopathic Professor X clone who believed that convenience was enough of a reason to go erasing people's entire personalities and rewriting them. No, the campaign didn't last long enough for one of us to build up the guts to find out if he really did have a telekinetic shield that'd stop a bullet to the back of the brain. Given how it ended instead, I really wish it had.

Sounds like you were traveling with the villain.....

How did it end?

Sounds like you were traveling with the villain.....

Actually, he was the team leader. It was an XMen-style setting, but the person running the "Prof." gave him all the moral strictures of Aleister Crowley on a bad day.

How did it end?

Mentalists, pure telepathic mentalists, don't hold up well against Sentinel Robot attacks, even if they do also have incredible Luck-related powers. That one should probably be added to the thread's list of Things Learned. :D

Neither does a team of 200-point teen heroes.

Several red smears in the dirt, with survivors scattering to the winds.

Mental Illusions save money!

A mentalist with Mental Illusions, Mind Link, Tactics and a few reclining chairs is an awesome substitute for a very expensive Danger Room... And this virtual Danger Room travels!

Plus if your mentalist is a gadgeteer or you have one on the team then you can make a device that allows the Mentalist to use it on enemies as well.

Don't get caught up in power names.

Again, SFX > Mechanics/Name of a Power.

A 25-pt Normal Summon with plenty of multipliers for being able to call lots of people and the Slavishly Loyal advantage = a Very Thick Human Shield.

Some might argue that AoE Mind Control would be the way to build that, but I found it far more reasonable to just use a Summon.

As a note, yes, that was on a villain.

Mental Illusions save money!

A mentalist with Mental Illusions, Mind Link, Tactics and a few reclining chairs is an awesome substitute for a very expensive Danger Room... And this virtual Danger Room travels!

It also makes for a cheap date.

Why yes, that was a lovely dinner at the 5 star restaurant. ::Tosses TV dinner::

Telepathy ususally isn't admissable in court. Telepathy done anyway..followed up by a later anonymous phone call to the police giving the location of crucial evidence is a different matter and a great way to kill time off duty.

It also makes for a cheap date.

Why yes, that was a lovely dinner at the 5 star restaurant. ::Tosses TV dinner::

Getting dangerously close to taboo areas there...

I find mentalists both appealing and horrifying. A dangerous line they walk between fighting for good and raping people's minds.

Actually, he was the team leader. It was an XMen-style setting, but the person running the "Prof." gave him all the moral strictures of Aleister Crowley on a bad day.

:angst::fear:

Now that sounds nasty. How long did he live before someone ganked him?

Actually' date=' he was the team leader. It was an XMen-style setting, but the person running the "Prof." gave him all the moral strictures of Aleister Crowley on a bad day.[/quote']
Actually, it sounds like "Young Heroes in Love."

Rhetorical Question: When will I learn to stay away from DC?

When the team comes up against a really tough enemy mentalist, YOU get instant promotion to "front line troop" and have to go in and deal with them while your team mates try not to smile as the enemy's "extreme mental onslaught" powers are unleashed on your head!

:angst::fear:

Right up until the Sentinels demonstrated that they were immune to mental powers.

Y'see, that's the funny thing about all the characters being honestly convined that He Knew Better Than They Did, something he reinforced at every point, without having to use his mental powers to do it. Those niggling little doubts were always countered by the fact that he was far more experienced and really did have the best interests of the long-term situation in mind....

Besides? Is it *really* that bad to mind-wipe and re-program the Bad Guys? Really?

(Here's a hint - the answer is YES!)