The Things I've Learned Playing a Var.Power-Pool User

Egyptoid

Magicians, Cosmic Surfers, Elementals, Demi-Gods,

you name it, you can do it.

If you've got a Variable Power Pool, you have to do your homework.

I submit you can't be a novice Hero player to use one.

VPP weilders can haul the team's ashes out of the fire,

or the VPP player can annoy an entire gaming group.

Re: The Things I've Learned Playing a Var.Power-Pool User

Stat the Powers out in Advance... Seriously...

I was going to phrase it as ...

Don't be afraid to gimmick up a special power when the situation calls for it, but prepare a list of regular, frequently-used powers for quick reference beforehand.

ok, this is pure game mechanics but...

Smaller VPP's are almost always better of with the advantage No Skill Roll Required advantage. Larger VPP's are better with a very high Power Skill roll.

Here, let me give an example:

Lets say we have Iron Lad, who's advanced body armor can be reconfigured so many ways that the GM and player determine that he needs a VPP for it.

Iron Lad has a Reconfigure Armor Power skill. The GM determins this skill is INT based. Iron Lads INT of 30 gives him a base roll of 15-. At all times, he wants to have 17- or 18- roll so that there is really no chance of failure, baring situational penalties.

Here's the cost break down:

Pool Size......Base Cost......Skill Cost.....Cost of VPP w/Advantage

As you can see, if Iron Lad goes for a VPP with a pool of 30 AP or less, he's better off taking the No Skill Roll Required Advantage. If he goes for a pool of 40 or more, it's actully cheeper for him to buy the Power Skill and as many levels as he needs to get that skill up to an 18- roll.

Obvisouly, this changes depending on other advantages on the pool and the base roll that the character has for his Power Skill.

now, on a more game experience based level:

Set limits on yourself as a player. These need not be actual Limitations on the Pool.

Just cause you can afford pull a total of +40 Presece, +40 STR, +4 SPD and +10 DEX out of your VPP ALL AT THE SAME TIME doesn't mean you should. Ever.

Doing it for the first time will probably mean doing it for the last time. Very few GM's are really ready for that level of unbridled power.

The more you define your pool, the better it is

Limitless possibilities pools are lacking in flavour and bring no inspiration. They are a bore. Here is an exemple.

A NPC of Nucleon, Helmur, has a vast pool. However all the powers in it must have Helmur's signature, which is defined as "Mystic Fire" powers: His Darkness is made using with brimstone cesspools creating darkness and sulfurous odor; He can also dominate minds, exacerbating tempers being his speciality. His Force Fields, walls and shields are composed of living fires. Helmur's pool, althought identical in character points to his brother Majestar, is thus completely different.

Another one:

Variable Pools are great NPC tools along with Damage Reduction. Both of these help to give your players a challenging confrontation.

If you do have a "do almost anything" pool, keep the points low.

I have a character who has a 30pt VPP called "Lesser Majicks". Basically, this is to reflect the vast number of minor spells that he has learned in his lifetime. But his more powerfull spells are all centered on a single theme outside the VPP. This has meant that he can often pull the team's fat out of the fire, but doesn't end up overshadowing them in their chosen fields.

If you must have a large infinity pool, apply a quirky limitation.

Hint: Google the Green Lantern, and the color yellow.

Even if you have a small VPP, your compatriots will expect you to be able to move the Earth. So be ready to do so if necessary.

This might help with that:

9 Ritual Magic: Succor Mystic Mastery 3d6+1 (standard effect: 10 points), Continuous (+1) (34 Active Points); OAF (-1), Arrangement (-1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 3

Having a Cosmic VPP means never having to rework your character for a Rules Edition upgrade. (Just the pre-calculated powers which have been recomended elsewhere here.)

Just because you can give every party member SPD 10 using AID, you might not want to. (Because sooner or later the GM will fix you in a way you are not happy with.)

If you must have a large infinity pool, apply a quirky limitation.

Hint: Google the Green Lantern, and the color yellow.

I'd like to second this, as its close to what I was thinking...

Hardcode in a weakness, and don't buy it off, or people will end up hating you.

My two main characters were/are both VPP users...

One is lethally addicted to his unique superserum

The other takes massive amounts of Body damage from running out of END in his reserve... and is required to take x5 or more End cost on any power with any range beyond self/touch.

I agree always work out your basic powers, the ones you use all the time. The time you save will make the others in your group happy that you did that.

If you have to come up with a gimmicky power, if you have a laptop, or a PC that has HeroDesigner on it. Then it get's easier to do it fast.

Plus if you do work up some powers that are set up with just points, not power but, the real cost x all advantages / all limitations = active cost. That gives you the basis for building on the fly, or have played Hero for many years and do it on the fly. (the math in your head)

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Stepping on toes is bad form and everyone wants to feel needed and unique. Making the rest of the team feel reudandant is very easy and very rude to do with large Cosmic Vpps.

A More "limited" pools is generally more interesting than a "I can do anything" or "Swiss Army knife" pool.

Don't step on toes. I cannot repeat this enough. I've had almost exclusively bad experiences with VPP users, most of what stemmed from the fact their approach was "Anything you can do, I can do better".

As a GM, All VPPs have the built in limitation "Not if it will screw up the story".

The partner rule is If it's unbalanced outside of a VPP, it's unbalanced in a VPP.

You may be the gretest rules mechanic in all the world. Good for you. As a GM, it's my job to make sure the game is fun for all concerned. Play nice.

If you can think up an incredibly effective power for you VPP rest assured the GM is easily more creative and has no restrictions other then those he imposes on himself. In a nutshell, don't give the GM an excuse to REALLY pound you.

I've learned that GMs are unlikely to allow you to apply to your control cost the Limitation -1/2 Fellow players are especially impatient.

...But sometimes it feels like they should.

As a GM' date=' [b']All VPPs have the built in limitation "Not if it will screw up the story"[/b].

The partner rule is If it's unbalanced outside of a VPP, it's unbalanced in a VPP.

You may be the gretest rules mechanic in all the world. Good for you. As a GM, it's my job to make sure the game is fun for all concerned. Play nice.

Bingo. Very succinctly put.

I have a VPP user in my campaign right now, Arbiter, the team magician.

Its a marvel game so he's cut from the same cloth as Doc Strange.

Here's how I control his usage:

the VPP has spell "slots", at zero cost.

he can have any power he wants, basically.

But: New slots have to be worked up, approved by GM, and added outside of game time

So the "in character" thing is spell research must be done "off-screen"

He can add one power per week, because the limitations make it a magic skill roll "Spell-Craft" he must make.

1. Being a human calculator really helps. :)

2. Use only as much power as you need to do the job. It hides how powerful you are, which greatly increases survivability of the character(and keeps the other players from getting bored/pissed off watching you mop the floor with half the villains while their characters do nothing).

3. Must...resist...urge...to write...uber power. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. Always leave a hole for the GM to exploit so you don't come across as invincible. For instance, I had a metamorph that could go into hand to hand with anyone in the CU - but if he sold out like that, an energy blaster could really hurt him because he didn't quite have enough power for high PD AND high ED.

Magicians' date=' Cosmic Surfers, Elementals, Demi-Gods,

you name it, you can do it.

If you've got a Variable Power Pool, you have to do your homework.

I submit you can't be a novice Hero player to use one.

VPP weilders can haul the team's ashes out of the fire,

or the VPP player can annoy an entire gaming group.

I completely agree.

If a MultiPower can be used better than a VPP... then why did you use it? Don't be afraid to question the usage of your own VPP.

Dinosaur used to have a VPP detailing his Ancestral Recall metamorph powers before I realized it was much easier to stat it out as an MP.