Martial Arts Question

teh bunneh

Character has the Passing Strike maneuver (from the UMA).

Uses it against a foe who has scads and oodles of KB Resistance.

Does no Knockback at all.

Will the martial artist take damage, a la the Move Through and/or Move By maneuvers?

I'm inclined to say Yes. She's slamming into a big brick wall -- knowing Judo won't stop that. But I'm open to other interpretations. I couldn't find anything in UMA or 5er that addressed this question, but if you've got a page reference, that would be really handy.

Thanks! :)

Re: Martial Arts Question

. . . Strictly going by the Maneuver Design rules in UMA, I'd say no, because Passing Strike has no Take Half/One Third DMG Element. There is no mention of the Knockback effect, though . . .

You can always redesign the maneuvre to fit you, of course . . . :)

Which goes back to the original point - and I may have to rethink my position. GA is right, it's a passing strike, something that can be done arm extended; probably why it doesn't say you take damage. it's not a "martial move through," it's lashing out as fly past someone.

So I recant, and side with GA. It's a matter of SFX. Repped, and I think I kicked him up a notch.

Agreed with GoldenAge. We're not looking at a MoveBy/MoveThrough necessarily, we're looking at running up and smacking the guy in the face as you run past, more likely.

Would still hurt, yes, but so would *ever* punching somebody like that. We're not looking at hurling one's body into the big palooka.

By the rules, the character doing the Passing Strike wouldn't take damage.

You could always rule otherwise, but I don't think it'd be game-balanced (plus a nasty surprise for the martial artist).

The SFX of "judo guy slamming into a brick wall" is one take, but another is "As he leaps over the brick, judo guy delivers spinning kick to the back of his head/knees".

As a GM and player, my preference is to adhere to the rules for this kind of stuff (barring a creative use of power) rather than get into SFX vs. SFX debates (especially in the middle of a combat turn).

Then how is this different from Move By?
For one, the character actually spent 5 points on it. This allows the character to use their full strength, loses the "target takes half damage" and they recieve a +3 to OCV and a +2 to DCV. Now while this seems a little unbalanced, remember that they now also roll an extra dice when determining knockback. Thus, it's no more unbalanced than any other martial maneuver, IMO.

Then how is this different from Move By?

in theory... it's a Trained Move By where you know how to do it without hurting yourself. Just a guess. A lot like the difference between Strike and Martial Strike. Both know how to hit people, one's just more effective at it.

in theory... it's a Trained Move By where you know how to do it without hurting yourself. Just a guess. A lot like the difference between Strike and Martial Strike. Both know how to hit people' date=' one's just more effective at it.[/quote']

Repped.

in theory... it's a Trained Move By where you know how to do it without hurting yourself. Just a guess. A lot like the difference between Strike and Martial Strike. Both know how to hit people' date=' one's just more effective at it.[/quote']Basically what I said, but in a much better way.

From the FAQ:

*NEW*Q: How does Passing Strike differ from Move By?

A: It differs from a Move By in that (a) characters pay for it, (B) it provides different CV modifiers, © it does full STR damage instead of STR/2, (d) the attacker doesn’t take 1/3 damage, and (e) the attacker can’t perform “Multiple Passing Strikes” the way he can do Multiple Move Bys.

You can still, however, sweep or MPA a passing strike, with GM permission.

I also was under the impression that while passing strike is a FMove maneuver, it also ends your movement when you make your attack. With Move By, you can end up as far away on the other side of your attacker as you have movement to reach. (That might just be a house rule I picked up somewhere though; I don't have UMA in front of me.)

It's explained on p93 of UMA that the attack during an FMove maneuver may come anywhere during the movement. However, for balance purposes the GM may wish to restrict making attacks in the middle of the Movement so as to avoid making the character untouchable.

That said, everyone I've played with/talked to about it seems to treat all of the Passing maneuvers like Move By/Grab By. The Flying manueuvers are treated like Move Through, where the attack ends your movemnt.

Character has the Passing Strike maneuver (from the UMA).

Uses it against a foe who has scads and oodles of KB Resistance.

Does no Knockback at all.

Will the martial artist take damage, a la the Move Through and/or Move By maneuvers?

I'm inclined to say Yes. She's slamming into a big brick wall -- knowing Judo won't stop that. But I'm open to other interpretations. I couldn't find anything in UMA or 5er that addressed this question, but if you've got a page reference, that would be really handy.

Thanks! :)

I would say "no" because the Passing Strike is essentially a martial Move By. You're kicking someone as you move past,so regardless of whether they move or not, if you execute the kick properly, your momentum/movement shouldn't change because they aren't in your path, you're reaching out as you go by them, so as long as their head snaps back, let's say, it doesn't really matter whether they actually take a step back or not.

I would say no unless everyone took damage every time they hit someone and didn't do knockback.

It would be realistic but unplayable I think. All Martial Artists and fighters in general would be buying extra PD on thier knuckles to combat it...like in real life.