Anatomy of a diorama

teh bunneh

Re: Anatomy of a diorama

The problem with painting with red is that most of the really good red pigments (and yellow, and to a certain degree white) are toxic. Go to an art supply store and look at the good red (and yellow and white) paints, and you'll see they're labled as poisonous.

Now, miniatures paint is non-toxic, so they can't use any of the really good pigments to make their reds, yellows, and whites. So these paints tend to have very weak colors -- in other words, it takes a lot of effort to get a really good deep red color. Doesn't matter if you're painting over a white base or a black base, your red is going to look murkey (painted over black) or washed out (painted over white). You can get around this by painting layer after layer of red until you get the color you want, but this is (a) really time-consuming, and (B) you can end up losing a lot of detail this way. That's why I've always hated painting with red.

The secret that I've discovered is...

Don't use white or black as your base. Use rusty brown or deep purple. These colors compliment the red and act as a strong dark background. They bring out the highlights of the red nicely, and you don't need to put layer after layer of red to make your colors pop.

Bill.

(This has been another installment of "Painting with the Bunny." Y'all owe me $10 now). ;)

Do you make a point of tasting your minis after they're painted?

I would think you could use a clear matte on the mini after it's done to seal off the toxic crap...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you make a point of tasting your minis after they're painted?

I would think you could use a clear matte on the mini after it's done to seal off the toxic crap...

Mmm... delicious! ;)

No, I think it's because miniatures/craft paint is considered a "toy" by one of the many arcane beaurocracies out there, so it has to be non-toxic or they don't get to sell it.

Bill.

(And there are a lot of people (myself included) who lick their paintbrushes to keep a sharp tip on 'em).

There is also the ever-present fear that someone's three-year-old will decide to gnaw on their Daddy's Bloodthirster of Khorne, and come down with a terminal case of arsenic poisoning. Or something.

Of course, once it gets to that point, one would think that the sheer spikiness of your average Bloodthirster would be a more pressing issue.

There is also the ever-present fear that someone's three-year-old will decide to gnaw on their Daddy's Bloodthirster of Khorne, and come down with a terminal case of arsenic poisoning. Or something.

Of course, once it gets to that point, one would think that the sheer spikiness of your average Bloodthirster would be a more pressing issue.

That argument doesn't hold. A three-year-old could just as easily get ahold of Daddy's still life paints and get a bellyful of red.

I still say matte clearcoat. And keep your minis away from the babies regardless of what you paint them with.

I agree that it's illogical and silly. That's the point. It's not a clearly-reasoned position, it's an attempt to avoid lawsuits. Nothing at all stops me from going out and purchasing poisonous pigments and putting them on a Bloodthirster. But, anything marketed as 'for painting toy soldiers' is a 'toy' and thus falls into the category of 'may come into contact with toddlers'. Whether it's particularly likely or not, and whether the toddlers should be allowed near the item in question or not.

Thus my comment about the general spikiness being a more immediate concern.

The whole gang! Roy, Haley, V, Belkar, Elan, and Durkon. :D

Focus is a little off on the picture. You would not believe how hard it is to get that much depth of field (something like 6 inches) for something that's only 1" tall. I had to use five daylight lightbulbs (plus other lamps in the room) to light the thing, and it still came out somewhat out of focus. I must've taken 20 shots of the damned thing to get one that looked halfway decent.

Ah well, for my purposes the picture came out fine. And what, exactly, are "my purposes"? Well, you'll just have to wait and see, won't you? :eg:

Bill.

(And now on to other projects for a while, 'cause I'm sick to high holy hell of this one!) :lol:

Looks Great!

Have you considered e-mailing Rich Birlew about havng these pics up at his Site, in the extras area? I'm sure he'd be thrilled with it.

Also; OotS fans keep your eyes peeled for the Order of the Stick game, coming soon.

I playtested it, it was quite fun, sort of like Talisman meets Heroquest. Each of up to six players assume control of one of the Order as they brave Xykons Dungeon. The game is both Collabrative and Competitive, players must work together to defeat Xykon, but the player with the most Loot and such is declared the Winner after the party exits the dungeon [if they exit the dungeon, that is]!

Fantastic!

Is this the only pic we've seen of the finished Haley, or did I miss them somewhere? Not fishing for mini-cheescake (I'm not that hard up! :) ), but I would like to see how she turned out.

What, the picture of V wasn't cheesecake enough? ;)

No, I still need to take a piccie of Haley and of Roy (and of Redcloak, now that I think of it...). :think:

Cool stuff. I look forward to seeing the finnished work at GenCon.

Though I do agree with an earlier poster, you need the bathroom doors in the dungeon somewhere.

(or at least some other humourous piece in there somewhere.)

While the diorama is for the most part a serious piece (I want to make it accessable to everyone, not just OotS fans), there will be a OotS-esque joke in it. What the joke is, I ain't sayin'. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hm. Not sure exactly. I think they open the competition for entries on Friday, so that's probably when I'm going to bring the figures down there. I doubt I'll actually bring it down to his booth (I'm not even sure he's got one), but I will definitely stop by his booth (assuming he has one) and ask him to go check it out.

Bill.

(Boy, that's quite a non-answer, isn't it?) :lol:

Hm. Not sure exactly. I think they open the competition for entries on Friday, so that's probably when I'm going to bring the figures down there. I doubt I'll actually bring it down to his booth (I'm not even sure he's got one), but I will definitely stop by his booth (assuming he has one) and ask him to go check it out.

Bill.

(Boy, that's quite a non-answer, isn't it?) :lol:

He'll have a booth. He's selling the third OOTS book.

OK now' date=' Bill, you've been home from Gencon for several hours now. When do we get a report on how it turned out? :winkgrin:[/quote']

To avoid repeating myself ad nauseum, I'll merely direct you here:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48130

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48088 (post #26)

:D