Is this possible?

RPMiller

I'm wondering if it is possible to create a power that gives you extra phases with an activation roll?

I'm thinking of a potion, sword, item that will grant an extra attack on a roll of 11 or less or some such.

What do you all think? Any ideas? Is it possible in the rules framework?

(I also posted this in the Champions and Fantsy Hero threads)

Sure, buy extra SPD and give it the limitation you want (Activation 11- for the second example). Be warned that SPD can only change "between turns" so to speak.

There is no "extra attack" concept in HERO -- you need extra phases, or the Autofire advantage.

A power like this should only be possible in a Power Framework if it costs END.

Finally, it's not usually a good idea to cross-post. That just difuses the answers you'll get.

You could buy +2 Speed with an activation roll, say 11- (10 points, I think) and then declare which 2 phases the activation roll applies to. Something like this:

2 Goes

4 Goes

6 Rolls

8 Goes

10 Rolls

12 Goes

It doesn't have to be in that order, of course, but something like that.

Then there's no issue about speed changes. The character is speed "6", but two of his phases may or may not activate.

If you adhere to the rule that SPD cannot be changed except between turns then I don't see a way to do this other than as Emerged suggested, buying Autofire and saying that's you taking multipe actions. Of course they wind up being the same action, but it's as close as you get under the rules.

EDIT > Actually, I had a thought about transformation attack changing people (and for that matter, Multiform), but I can't find any documentation on it. I've posed the question to Steve just to see if I've missed something.

For what it's worth, here's what I asked and what was answered. I can't review the rules he points out until later:

Q. FREd states that you can only change your SPD between turns. If I had a Transformation attack (Say a Potion) that turned someone into a creature with a higher SPD or that simply boosted the individual's SPD by a few points, would that SPD change not take effect until the next turn?

A. The "Changing SPD" rules on 5E 232-33 apply, though you can use the optional version if you can convince your GM.

In my game, I would say yeah, go ahead. Base cost of 10 points per extra Phase within a single Turn. You can't perform more than one full Phase worth of actions in one Segment. It costs normal END cost to activate a Phase. Treat it as an Instant Power.

Sometimes the rules get in the way of what you want your character to do and you have to work around it.

My brain must be in a wierd place right now but... Perhaps Duplication is the way to go? Stick an activation roll on his speed, you might need invisible power effects as well. Perhaps with the limitation that "he" could not leave your hex etc. ?

But "he" would go on the same phases as you. Cool way to sweep and not get any of those nasty penalties though..

Pre-coffee ramblings....

Originally posted by archer

In my game, I would say yeah, go ahead. Base cost of 10 points per extra Phase within a single Turn. You can't perform more than one full Phase worth of actions in one Segment. It costs normal END cost to activate a Phase. Treat it as an Instant Power.

Sometimes the rules get in the way of what you want your character to do and you have to work around it.

exactly - if the rules require some awful, complicated and potentially unplayable way of handling something that can be handled very quickly and efficiently - ignore the rule and use the house rule. "Universal" concepts in gaming are often more limiting than the designers of such concepts are willing to allow for.