History of the HERO System

Hey All -

I happened to write this up for someone who asked me a question about my HERO System Products list, and I thought others might find it useful or interesting. (Or not... ;) Anyway, here it is.

- Derek

In the beginning, there was no "HERO System." There was only "Champions." It was a superhero roleplaying game, containing both rules and superhero source material. It was published in 1981 by a company called Hero Games. This was the 1st edition.

In 1982, a revised edition of Champions was published. Like its predecessor, it was a stand-alone game, containing both rules and superhero source material. This was the 2nd edition.

Then, it started occurring to the fine folks at Hero Games that the rules engine that Champions used was very flexible, and that (with very little 'tweaking') it could be used to play games in genres other than superheroes. They dubbed the rules engine the "HERO System" for the first time, although the rules were never published by themselves.

With the new "HERO System" concept in mind, they published two more stand-alone games. The first was "Espionage!" (a secret agent game) and the second was "Justice Inc." (a pulp adventure game). Like Champions, both of these games included both the rules (albeit in a very slightly different form than Champions) and genre material. Also like Champions, the version of the HERO System used in these games was the 2nd edition.

In 1984, another revision of Champions was done. It still contained both rules and source material, and the new rules engine was now the 3rd edition of the HERO System. Later games that used the 3rd edition of the HERO System were Danger International (an updated version of Espionage!), Fantasy Hero, Robot Warriors, and Star Hero. All these games contained customized versions of the 3rd edition of the HERO System rules, but the rules were never published in a book by themselves.

In 1989, everything changed. :-)

In 1989, the 4th edition of Champions was released, containing both rules and source material. However, this time around, the rules and the source material were kept in separate parts of the book. Only a few months later, the "HERO System Rulesbook" was published. This book was exactly the same as the rules section of 4th edition Champions, but without the superhero source material. The HERO System Rulesbook was the first book to contain only the rules.

Later 4th edition "genre books" included Western Hero, Ninja Hero, a new Fantasy Hero (this time without the rules included), Cyber Hero, and Horror Hero. Unlike earlier products, these books did *not* include the rules. They were supplements to the system, not stand-alone games in their own right.

The 5th edition was released in 2002, and divorced the HERO System rules from the various genres even farther. This time, even Champions was "just" a genre supplement, and did not include the rules on its own. The rules are only published in the "HERO System Fifth Edition" and "HERO System Fifth Edition Revised" books.

Re: History of the HERO System

What? No mention of the beloved FUZION?

:: Dives for Cover ::

One could argue that, since it wasn't Hero, it doesn't belong in a history of Hero.

On the other hand, one could argue that that would be like writing a history of modern France without mentioning the German invasions and occupations.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is good at seeing both sides of an argument. It inherently has two points of view.

One could argue that, since it wasn't Hero, it doesn't belong in a history of Hero.

On the other hand, one could argue that that would be like writing a history of modern France without mentioning the German invasions and occupations.

Judgement call, of course, but since Derek titled his essay "History of the HERO System," I think it's reasonable to leave out Fuzion. Now if he'd called it "History of Hero Games," one would have cause to protest. ;)

Only a few months later, the "HERO System Rulesbook" was published. This book was exactly the same as the rules section of 4th edition Champions, but without the superhero source material. The HERO System Rulesbook was the first book to contain only the rules.

Ah yes, I remember it well. This is where I became a HERO System gamer for serious and for real. I had gotten started on the hardbacked BBB, but lugging around the heavy hardback was a drag. The slim trim HS #500 on the other hand became a permanent fixture in my backpack and as it was always close to hand, I had HERO on the brain often.

I still have 2 copies -- a taped up and heavily used "reference" copy and a "don't touch it if you like your fingers intact" copy. ;)

And now I can't put this thread on my mental ignore list' date=' since I'm once again curious about something on it.[/quote']

In at least one pre-release article on Champions: 2e, the rules for spreading energy blasts were mentioned as a part of the rules that were lost when Magneto attacked the hard derive shortly before 1e was published. ie they were added in 2e, but were intended to be in 1e as well.