Top Five vs The Unknown Menace!

Supreme Serpent

Outgrowth of another thread sideways referencing of all things, Space Jam. :P

Imagine that a threat is coming of catastrophic proportions. No one knows what form it will take or what must be done to defeat it yet. It could involve a massive battle, it could involve a mystery, it could involve playing Tetris, who knows? You can pull five superheroes (Marvel, DC, other, or combinations) together to stand against this threat, but only these five. What's the most powerful yet flexible team you can think of?

for example:

Superman (duh)

+ four other guys to kick the Kryptonite away. ;)

...but maybe a little more elaborated.

Re: Top Five vs The Unknown Menace!

I agree, you pretty much have to have Superman in those situations, practically by definition of the character. He's not only among the most powerful, but he's inspiring and he never gives up. If we can only have five others, I would choose:

Green Lantern, both for power and for the ability to do nearly anything with that ring;

Doctor Strange, to handle anything magical that needs handling;

Mr. Fantastic, to handle anything scientific/technological that needs handling, and also for his tactical expertise and insights;

Batman, for deductive abilities and any sneaking around that might be required.

I came very close to putting Captain America on the team, because he's the greatest leader and tactician in comics; and if Superman is on because he's Superman, Cap should be on because he's Cap. :) If you expanded the team to six members, he'd have that spot. Go to seven, and I'd throw in Professor X, because something that's invulnerable physically might not be mentally.

I am going tp try to pick 5 based on each's specialty or ability to overcome a a specific type of situation. Here would be my line-up.

I think I would have to go with Superman (heh, you opened the door) for physical power and leadership (my second choice would have been Thor). Next would be Mr. Fantastic (second choice would have been Batman) for his scientific knowledge and problem solving skills. Third would be Dr. Strange for his mastery of all matters of magic and the occult (Dr. Fate could fill this role as well). Fourth I would choose a jack-of-all-trades character to aid the three main characters with what they do best. I think Martian Manhunter would be the best choice here (with Green Lantern being my second choice). Lastly I would choose a "diehard" character, the kind that just by being there increases the group's chance to "win". For this role I would pick Spider-Man (Wolverine would be my second choice here).

Wow...me and Lord seem to have very similar ideas, even including what basic archetypes we thought such a group would need. Now I am curious to see what others come up with. I really wanted to work Captain America in somewhere (even if only as a second choice) but I just felt there was a more well-rounded choice for each role he exemplifies (i.e. physical, leadership, or morale support).

Say' date=' Log, would you be willing to share your rationale for choosing those five?[/quote']

Absolutely, in fact I was debating whether I should at the time, but I got lazy :)

1. The Flash...I'm thinking of the Waid speed zone powerhouse, the last version I read consistently. One of the most dominant beings out there with fantastic and unique potential and versatility.

2. Captain Atom...Looking for the classic flying brick powerhouse and I remembered one of my personal favorites, Captain Atom. Energy absorption along with the classic strength/near invulnerability/energy blast combo. Additionally, an experienced soldier and leader.

3. Thor...No one but no one does invasions better than the guy with the hammer. His raw power and experience go without saying, but he also brings mystic and cosmic understanding.

4. Forge...Gadgeteer extraordinaire. He can potentially build things even Reed can't, he just may not know why it works. Thing is, he's so smart he may well just figure it out. Add soldiering, fighting and mystic experience for a great resources man.

5. The Thing...My ground commander. There's nobody I trust more on the ground. Also a soldier, a pilot, a leader and a follower. One guy guaranteed to never give up.

If I were using any already chosen, I would replace Captain Atom with Martian Manhunter, trading raw power for increased versatility.

Batman, because legions of fawning writers have made him absurdly over effective.

Wolverine, because by law he must now be part of every team, everywhere, forever, in true "loner" style.

Hawkgirl from the JLU cartoon, because the writers love her.

Captain Marvel, because he's marginally less likely to get Worfed by a lazy writer than Superman.

Zatanna, because she's a hot girl and will look good on the cover, and because her Silver Age version is technically more powerful than the entire JLA put together.

Another fun one, the Brute Squad:

Superman - the Silver Age version that had "Super Intelligence" to handle the science stuff

Captain Marvel

Black Adam

Mon El (post lead weakness)

Wolverine (damn that rule)

Zatanna & Zatarra - She's following her dad's footsteps, might as well work with him.

Dr. Fate (Silver age) Nabu's best friend

The Spectre - Come on, in Crisis he kept two universes from going bang bang

Wolverine - Dammit! I wanted the Doctor Strange or at least the Phantom Stranger! Instead I got Wolverine. Who wrote that rule?

Batman, because legions of fawning writers have made him absurdly over effective.

Wolverine, because by law he must now be part of every team, everywhere, forever, in true "loner" style.

Hawkgirl from the JLU cartoon, because the writers love her.

Captain Marvel, because he's marginally less likely to get Worfed by a lazy writer than Superman.

Zatanna, because she's a hot girl and will look good on the cover, and because her Silver Age version is technically more powerful than the entire JLA put together.

Absolutely appropriate for all the wrong reasons. :lol:

I'll give it a shot...

CAPTAIN MARVEL - He's potentially the most powerful hero in any continuity when you factor in the Wisdom of Solomon with all of his other powers. Though he received help, he was able to stand against The Spectre... 'Nuff said.

SUPERMAN - Although it isn't focused upon as much as it should be Kal El is one of this planets greatest scientists. With his understanding of, and access to, Kryptonian science, he'll be able to create whatever we need to get the job done... Oh yah... and he's SUPERMAN.

MARTIAN MANHUNTER - J'onn J'onzz has it all: Enhanced strength, durability and speed, flight, and heat vision ("Martian Vision")... He is also able to shapeshift, turn invisible, and alter his density. In addition to his physical powers, J'onn is also a planetary level telepath with the soul of a philosopher. Oh yah, he also knows advanced Martian technology.

GREEN LANTERN (Hal) - At the speed of thought Hal's super science can create or destroy nano-technology or instantly manifest a boxing glove the size of the moon. But seriously, they don't call the rings "the most powerful weapons in the galaxy" for nothing. And let's not forget that Hal can create Kryptonite radiation... just in case.

The fifth spot is hard to fill... So many heroes (DC, Marvel and Indy) could be useful...

But I'm going to go with:

THE ATOM (Ray Palmer) - With his incredible scientific mind and the ability to access the subatomic world Ray could provide the answer when all else fails.

or maybe...

Dr. Fate (Hector Hall), Reed Richards, Karnak (of the Inhumans), Silver Surfer and Binary (Carol Danvers powered by the white hole).

Of course, I'm assuming creatures like The Spectre, 5th Dimensional Imps, Genies, Oans, etc. are not allowed... Too easy.

Beppo the Super Monkey - Because every great team needs a monkey, and Beppo has the full Kryptonian power set

Krypto the Super Dog - Cute dogs always win.

Comet the Super Horse - Kryptonian class powers, magic fueled to get past the whole Kryptonite / Red Sun problem. Plus, he married Supergirl, so we know he has class.

Protty - Like the Martian Manhunter, but cute!

Wolverine - Because I'd love to see the writer explaining how he ended up in this group.

Ah well, if we have to make the writers explain how wolverine landed up in any specific group...

Machine Man - (Marvel) a real life stretchy toy.

Red Tornado - (DC SIlver age) the thinking fans air mover

Human Torch (Golden Age) - gotta toast marshmallows

Adaptoid - he can't duplicate machine powers but he's a good cheerleader.

Wolverine - Go on, get out of that.

I think Pogo almost got it right there. Except I'd have included destroyer Duck and (almost without saying) Howard the Duck instead of Daffy and Donald. Wolverine is a given though.

OK, now I'm scared ;)

I didn't know who Destroyer Duck was, and I thought about Howard, but Daffy has to be there to drive Wolverine nuts. "Slash me again. I love the smell of adamantium. And cigars. Slash me!" They were made for each other.

To kind of answer the question more seriously:

1) Doctor Doom

2) Lex Luthor

3) Juggernaut

4) Dormannu (sp?)

5) Darkseid

The biggest problem with this group is keeping them from cutting a deal with the menace.

Dormammu I believe.

(Damn, why won't my boss let me keep my source materials spread on my desk huh?)

Juggernaut good, Monghul better, That metal armoured shell "The Destroyer" from the early Thor stories, probably better yet.

Darkseid has a wee bit too much ego for the rest (teamwork? What team?).

My picks:

1) Superman - Raw power, inspiration, doesn't give up.

2) Martian Manhunter - Just a mote behind the man above; plus telepathy and shapechanging!

3) The Spectre - To deal with any magical/cosmic stuff that's going on.

4) Thor - Incredible raw power plus can lend a hand on the cosmic front.

Now I'm torn here... I need a genius of sorts to round out this team and also someone to keep everyone on their toes. Tempted by Iron Man, Reed Richards or John Henry Irons... but in the end I'm going to plump for...

5) Batman - Lacks the raw scientific genius of the others but makes up for it in logic, deductive reasoning and all round tactical genius.