Champions Assemble!

Guest daeudi_454

Guest daeudi_454

Bat signals, flaming 4s, beepers...

What is your team's method of contacting each other?

Does it work for the secret identities?

Back in the early 90s, we used a local college radio station as the default media.... Whenever we needed those out living their civilian lives to check in, the station would play DeBurgh's Don't Pay the Ferryman.

Re: Champions Assemble!

Current Team: mind link via hot psychic lawyer

Previous Team: cell phones, which we lost with stunning frequency until we all decided to buy them with character pioints

Previous, previous team: magic rings that grew warm to the touch when we were needed. The more urgent the threat, the hotter they got. They also got steadily warmer if you ignored the signal for long. This could eventually heat up to the point where they were doing damage. Of course, they were impossibly to remove without the correct ritual. The magical agency we all worked for failed to mention that last part... the bastards...

The Bay City Rollers were sanctioned superheroes who wore signal rings. They were set to gently tingle for a standard "when-you-can-get-here" call, but had a pulsing tingle for priority calls and a stinging sensation when another hero activated his or her ring's "panic button" function. (Needless to say, we had some fun when heroes in their civilian identities had a panic button call...)

Matt "You-need-to-do-what?-NOW?" Frisbee

Jake the Troll - all students of the Angelus Acadamy were issued communicators/high-tech cell phones.

Shinji Miromoto - none. The OUtsiders are a pretty disorganized group. If HE wanted to, he could probably signal a couple of the team through his dark psychic VPP, but at a cost of mildly poisioning the target's mind.

Icon - none currently. Emma will probably drop the points into getting a cell phone/communicator into her costume, but at the moment the rest of the team just go to the same high school, and are in the same grade.

For the Millennium Knights -- tight-linked, scrambled, untappable subvocal communicators that are well-enough hidden (they work via bone conduction) we can wear and use them even in civilian ID... though speaking into them while in civilian ID is something we need to be careful about (Mind Link, IIF, etc. etc.)

In most of my superhero games, the team use special communicators.

Several years ago, I ran a monster-hunter game set in my Metaworld campaign (think Night Stalkers). The team all lived together and rarely seperated, so communication rarely came up. Eventually, I ran a cross-over with one of the heroes from one of the mainstream teams.

When they started to go out into the field, the heroine, Silk, asked, "Okay, so what frequency are you guys set to?"

There was the sound of crickets... "Frequency?" asked the monster hunters.

"Yeah," said Silk, "the frequency for your communicators...?"

"Communicators?"

Silk slaps herself in the head.

The fact is, I ran the monster-hunters game for over a year up to this point, and the subject of communication devices had -never- come up.

Guest daeudi_454

On the subject of wrist comms...

unless disguised as something else- I always thought they would suck.

Do you mean to tell me that no one ever noticed the Power Rangers all had the same communicators as civvies? (we'll ignore the color coded wardrobes :))

For the Millennium Knights -- tight-linked' date=' scrambled, untappable subvocal communicators that are well-enough hidden (they work via bone conduction) we can wear and use them even in civilian ID... though speaking into them while in civilian ID is something we need to be careful about (Mind Link, IIF, etc. etc.)[/quote']That's how MidGuard does it now too. It was expensive (7 CP each), but the "hypercoms" are usable subvocally even in civilian ID and small enough (the size of a small watch battery) that they hide behind the ear easily. For 1 more CP the character can upgrade to an implanted hypercom which isn't a Focus, but no one has done this yet. These devices use Rigellian technology so at the moment MidGuard is the only people on Earth (so far as we know) who can even detect these transmissions, let alone intercept them.

Each team member also has a satellite cell phone with a GPS tracker which can be used to track their location even if the phone is switched off. Since this is free, it's prone to failure at inconvenient times.

lets see

The Shining Aegis use mobile phones designed by nokia they get them free as part of a marketing deal there slightly more advanced than the standard with satcoms and full GPS but a simplified civilian version is very popular which helps protect there secret IDs. on the other hand one of Britannia's powers is to summon defenders of the realm basically any hero she has met.

The Tower Ravens use the same phones when not on assignment when they are they use either covert communicators designed by there resident technical genius Click or espionage style dead drops and covert numbers leaving voice mail on a carpet cleaning shop answering service etc.

Sarah Finn the team sniper has the ability to telekinetically mark objects and for covert insertions she will mark some object on the team members person and telekinetically nudge it to send signals and track the team.

most everyone else uses slightly upgraded military comms or cell phones

Cyclone has a mindlink with all SHRED members, so that's easy enough. 'Course, the team was on the lam for 5 years, so we were together most of that time anyway.

*G* I'm not sure how Team Fury does it. Several members work for the team leader in their secret identities. I have a member who is only peripheral, and she gets called in when her specialty is needed. I will have to ask how we do this, preferably when the GM isn't around! We have little ear radio thingummies for when we're actually on a mission.

Do you mean to tell me that no one ever noticed the Power Rangers all had the same communicators as civvies? (we'll ignore the color coded wardrobes :))

To be fair, the citizenship of Angel Grove were phenomenally unobservant. :)

The Defenders have earpiece communicators that are very small and very clear, making them practically invisible and, ergo, useable in S.ID. They're also linked to the base computer system so that in the event of a Trouble Alert at the base, all 7 active members are notified regardless of where they are.

Justice Inc. uses a wrap around the ear communicator when in costume, similar to the ones from Stargate SG-1 (Tap to activate; for some reason my PC's all like that) and in civilian ID, they all have government issued cell phones with GPS capability.

They've been pondering the benefits of having the mentalist set up the "JI combat network" through mindlink.

Actually, it occured to me while I was out that only one Ranger team (the Time Force Rangers) actually had their communicators/morphers* visible in uniform.

*The original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers' morphers were on their belt buckles, but didn't serve as their civilian communicators.

The characters are students at a School For Gifted Students. They all wear what look like class rings, with the stone a default green.

The rings are multipurpose: they are communicators, they are alert signals, and they are tracking beacon.

When a character sends an alert, it is one of three levels. The stone changes color for each level.

GREEN: The stone lights up (dimly) and emits a mild vibration. Green level means, I've got a problem, and if anyone isn't too busy with something else, please join me.

YELLOW: The stone changes to dimly glowing yellow, also vibrates, slightly stronger. Yellow means, I've got a pretty big problem, please drop anything not absolutely important and get to me asap.

RED: Changes to glowing red, vibrates strongest yet. Red means, all available team members, drop whatever you're doing and get your butts here yesterday, loaded for bear.

The rings can home in on each other (a DETECT), and as previously stated, are also communicators.

Gary