Weird Desolid Question

This is one of those 'never happen' scenarios, but my brain is still trying, and failing, to wrap around it.

Hero has Desolidification, a base (say) 20 STR, but has only 5 of it bought Affects Solid World.

The Hero is affected by TK that he's affected by when Desolid, but doesn't want to resolidify (say, enemies nearby who can't affect his desolid, but will blow him to bits if he solidifies), so he uses his 'ASW' Strength to grab onto something. The TKer is trying to drag him somewhere (for whatever reason ... like I said, seriously hypothetical).

Does he only get his ASW Strength to resist the TK?

Re: Weird Desolid Question

This is one of those 'never happen' scenarios, but my brain is still trying, and failing, to wrap around it.

Hero has Desolidification, a base (say) 20 STR, but has only 5 of it bought Affects Solid World.

The Hero is affected by TK that he's affected by when Desolid, but doesn't want to resolidify (say, enemies nearby who can't affect his desolid, but will blow him to bits if he solidifies), so he uses his 'ASW' Strength to grab onto something. The TKer is trying to drag him somewhere (for whatever reason ... like I said, seriously hypothetical).

If the only strength he can use to anchor himself down to resist the TKer is his ASW Strength, then I would say yes, that he was limited to only his ASW Strength.

TB

Just to play devil's advocate, STR 5 (his ASW strength) isn't enough to lift himself (200kg requires STR 10). So I can't see a situation where he could be "dragged" that he couldn't walk or crawl out himself. Hmm, maybe if the footing was precarious, and the TK was being used to assist his balance, it would be ok. But realistically, he could "swim" while Desolid through or on "top" of most objects while Desolidified and ignore most movement penalties.

Now if he has 10 STR Affects Solid World, then it's much less problematic because he can lift himself while holding onto an object that's being TK'ed.

Just a thought for the sadistic GM.

I'm a little confused by the original question and Oddhat's response but here's my 1.5 cents.

• Is the 5 STR with ASW just being used to carry an object (more likely) or is the character attempting to use that object as an anchor (probably futile, see below)?
  • How much TK STR is being used to grab this character?

If the TK affects the character who is Desol (whether by Advantage on the TK or Limitation on the Desol) the Desol character should get to use his normal STR (20 in the example) to resist per normal grab rules.

If the Desol character is grabbed with between 15-25 STR TK then the amount of ASW STR used by the Desol character to hold onto a solid object is:

a) not going to be enough to make a difference with regard to the TK grab since it's an either/or decision.

B) not going to limit the amount of normal STR (20 in your example) the Desol character can use vs. the TK grab.

The only way I see anchoring oneself as an effective way to resist a grab (regardless of Desol) is if the grabber's STR is equal to that of the target and the target is grabbing something with a mass greater than or = to what he can normally lift. This only helps to prevent the target from being thrown. Squeezing the target for damage is not prevented.

I'm a little confused by the original question and Oddhat's response

IMO, a desolid character attempting to anchor himself to a solid object could only use STR equal to his ASW STR to hold on. That's not based on a rules look up, it's just my call; if I had my books with me, I'd check. He could, however, resist an ADSO grab with his full STR.

GamePhil answered my question - how much STR does a Desolid character have to resist an Affects Desolid grab? Anyone else have opinions on this? I tend to think only ASW STR is useful, assuming the grab is from the solid world.

Almost sounds like a question for Steve.

GamePhil answered my question - how much STR does a Desolid character have to resist an Affects Desolid grab? Anyone else have opinions on this? I tend to think only ASW STR is useful, assuming the grab is from the solid world.

Almost sounds like a question for Steve.

A desolid character resists an ADSO grab with his full normal STR.

The Desolid character gets his full STR to resist the TK directly. He gets his casual STR (10 in this case) immediately upon being grabbed. If this is enough to break free, he effectively ignores the attempt. If this fails, he may still attempt an escape on his Phase using his full STR.

If either of these attempts fail, it's a moot point how much of his STR he can use to hold into something; the STR of the TK is obviously superior and any attempt to keep from moving (using STR) will fail. The character's ASW STR will determine the mass of an object that get's dragged along with him if not nailed down (if nailed down, it's gonna stay put while the character is dragged off), and might affect how fast the character is moved using TK.