Any ideas for a National Hero for India?

input.jack

In my campaign, I have mentioned a superhero named "Annavaru" (which means "respected Big Brother", more or less), who looks like Rajkumar, an actor and celebrity who was "the John Wayne of India".

Basically, I wanted to do something to memorialize Rajkumar, and thought making his character the national hero of India would be a good way to do that.

The character is supposed to have been born in 1929, and to be a generally stand-up guy. A true hero; gives of his time and effort freely asking nothing in return, has a total commitment to avoid taking Human life, and has it in mind that he acts as a role-model, and behaves accordingly. He is honest, honorable, and down-to-Earth.

Basically, hes everything Superman was, before the guys at DC went crazy and made Supes a soul-less government lap-dog with an annual urge to slap his best friends around.

Here is my dilemma: I wrote him up. And based him more or less on Superman's powers. I did (I thought) a good job of setting him to scale with the rest of my campaign.

BUT.

If feels...cliched. It feels too...easy...to make him a Superman clone.

I want him to have his own Power set. His own identity. He needs to be someone capable of dealing with national-level threats, like on the level of a powerful JLA member (Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern...)

So Im wondering if anyone has an idea for a powerset to give him. I dont need a write-up, I just need an IDEA.

I want to give the character the kind of Powers that would be useful to him in helping people. He should be counted among the more powerful heroes of the world.

But I dont want his powers to seem cheesy or schlocky.

Any ideas?

Re: Any ideas for a National Hero for India?

Give him the superman powers more or less, but change some sfx around (Perhaps blasts of energy from the forehead or hands instead of heat vision) and instead of just having him draw power from the sun, have him mirror the strength of the life around him. Sentient life provides more energy than, say, plant life, but all life, down to the simpliest gives him some power. What's more, should enough people be conciously hoping/praying/trusting him at once, he can get a major power boost.

It's the sort of power that could enable someone to claim the title of a god.... but he's too good a man for that, he is proud just to be another son of India

Obviously, the vacuum of space, or any other area where there is little to no life for miles can weaken him tremendously.

Howabout just massive force field powers? Invisible Girl to the Nth degree, but minus the invisibility.

"I'm bringing the sunken submarine up by creating and expanding a force field under it...be prepared to assist the sailors once it surfaces."

"Yes, I could have created a field to protect us from the explosions, but I felt it better to simply expand fields within the missiles themselves as they approached, disabling them."

My recommendation for building a background and powers for a National Hero of India would be www.pantheon.org it’s an excellent source for an overview of Hindu mythology and mythic heroes. Although may not want to go with a mythic clone it may prove insightful for building a story that would resonate in that culture. Here is a link to the articles regarding Hinduism.

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/asia/hindu/articles.html

A thought, albeit not powered related per se: have the Indian "Superman" be of the untouchable caste. Thus, his great heroism every day, even if he doesn't think about it, provides an example to everyone to respect even the least person.

Also, while I am not totally clear in my memory of it, even if the character is not particularly magical in nature or divine in powerset, if he is both heroic and wise, he may be seen as an avatar of Vishnu anyway. Sort of like how Superman draws parallels with Jesus in western society, even though he's entirely mortal.

Indian Superheroes

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/i/india.htm

Virgin Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Comics

Raj Comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raj_Comics

The Unclean – Indian hero group with at least three members, apparently based in New Delhi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_City#Heroes

More Later

QM

India has a long tradition of both mysticsm and martial arts; so why not a martial artist with some mystical abilities who is dedicated to defending his country from supernatural threats ? On a lighter note I once saw an Indian movie (on television) which featured an Indian "Invisible Man" who called himself "Mister India" !

Of course India, being a land of religious and ethnic diversity probably should have a whole BUNCH of supers who might represent different groups within Indian society I gave India 14 heros; a national team of 6, a local team in Bombay of 5 and 3 "independent" heros based in Bangalore, Calcutta and Goa. Using "Champions Worldwide" to provide me with some of the names.

I've posted a few Indian Supers over the years, most notably a subtle and cowardly telepath, a delusional vigilante with mastery of traditional Hindu magic, and a mistress of traditional Indian martial arts.

For an Indian Hero's Hero, I'd either go ultra traditional and have him as a living avatar of one of the gods, or go Sci-Fi and have him as a space worthy flying force field gernerator with a range of energy (force) attacks and an other-dimensional origin.

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/i/india.htm describes a bunch of interesting Indian superheroes. Spider-Man and Superman are particularly "interesting". ;)

EDIT: And I recommend reading the review of the Indian Superman film here: http://www.stomptokyo.com/movies/s/superman-indian.html

Quite hilarious.

"There is something black in my lentils."

Annavaru isnt the only superhero from india. Just the best-known and most widely respected.

I decided to go with a "Superman"-ish flying Brick with secondary Powers, fueled by the belief and hope of the people around him. He isnt mystical, because frankly, I realized that if I were from India Id be tired of everyone NOT from India thinking that all we were capable of generating was mystical heroes ;)

Just one of those things :)

Important Statistics: India

Landmass: 328.73 million hectares

Total population (000): 1087 124

Annual population growth rate (%)* (1): 1.5

Population 0-14 years(%): 32

Rural population (%)* (1): 72

Total fertility rate (births per woman): * (1) 2.9

Life expectancy at birth (years) * (1): 63

GDP: Mystic Heroes