True Universal Translator?

Yamo

Is it possible to build a version of Universal Translator that works automatically and never requires a roll of any kind? I'm thinking of the ones like those from the Star Trek shows that work pretty much flawlessly at all times, even during first contacts where the translator device couldn't realistically have any sample of the alien language on hand to translate from. :)

I mean, you never hear Kirk or Picard go "Pardon me, what was that?" when they fail an INT roll. :) UT with a success roll isn't in-genre for Trek.

Not to mention that rolling whenever an alien speaks would get REALLY tiresome over the course of a single adventure, nevermind an entire campaign.

I just want to know if it can be done legally without resorting to any kind of house rules (which I hate, preferring to stay 100% "legal" at all times). Any help?

A couple of possibilities exist:

1) Just buy every alien with English and have them call it something else. :P

2) Handwaving. Lots and lots of handwaving.

3) In Star Hero, there is a discussion of Universal Translator effects (can't remember the page number off hand). One of the variations is obviously based on the Star Trek Universal Translator. IIRC, it's the Universal Translator power with a -0 limitation to reflect the fact that it doesn't always work perfectly (see the episode "Darmok"). Real Cost: 20 points. If that seems expensive to you, well, in a Star Trek Hero game it would probably be an Everyman ability.

Personally, I think that for a two-way translation, you also need to attack Transmit, but I believe that's been specifically disallowed in official products...

Hey Yamo,

A couple of ideas come to mind:

1) You could do what others do when they have a something that requires a skill roll - you could buy up the INT roll.

2) Have a 6pt Cosmic VPP, all languages & dialects. Not illegal, just something others might frown upon.

3) As Snarf said, you could to Transform, building it similiar to Instant Change, except add 0 End & Persisitant.

4) Hey, in Star Trek it was the "Ye old plot device". If you're the GM you could declare that, since not doing it makes things more trouble than its worth. I've tried characters who didn't understand a language before, and I know after a while (for the playters ) it goes from "cute to irritating".

Hope this helps!

:)

Technically there's no way, since Detect always uses a PER roll and you could always roll an 18. (Pedants will note the option of using XDM to travel to a dimension where 18s are not automatic failures. :)) In reality, you could buy bonuses to the PER roll to whatever point the GM deems that a roll is not necessary: 18-. 25-, whatever.

The problem with a languages VPP is that you have to know what language to switch to...which requires a Detect. :)

Telepathy runs into Mental Defense, and also doesn't work well with recordings and the like.

You could cheese something with Change Environment ("change all spoken languages into English"), but I wouldn't allow it.

Transform ("me into me who speaks the language"; "target into target who speaks English"; "sound waves into English sound waves") is similarly cheesy.

Speaking personally, I always viewed the chance of failure primarily as a manifestation of two standard translation errors: idiom, and proper names.

For example, in some languages you do not "pull someone's leg", you pull their paw. Imagine how *either* would come out in translation for someone unaware of the context...

Similarly, proper names don't always translate well -- and some forms of communication are fond of using proper names extensively as metaphors for other things (poetry for example).

Originally posted by Yamo

There's still the annoying problem of having to roll dice every time anyone says anything...

If you don't like doing it, then don't do it. Like I said earlier, just use a version of the SER to make it work the way it should -- figure on a constant roll of 11, and gradiate the translation based on the complexity and obscurity of what's being said.

Originally posted by austenandrews

I just use the official "perfect" UT ... from previous versions of the game. :)

I think 5E often goes too far in granulating simple effects.

-AA

I TOTALLY agree here. 5e does it too much, as some others have also said. One such example is REPLICATIVE CLONING, from the THE SUPERPOWERS DATABASE MISCELLANEOUS POWERS online. Never mind the fact you have a 20d6 Transform into a perfect copy of someone else. No, you have to make break it up into 20d6 vs physical, mental and spirit. What a cheese-tactic. Another example is Instant Change. Yes, it could be done with Transform but the point differences are so little in comparison to each other and 5e is a whole lot more complicated, why not leave it at the simpler previous 4e? I think it's that 5e is too detailed that a lot of people new to Hero Games look at it and get confused. 5e has taken too much detailing over fun in certain areas. Don't get me wrong: a lot of things needed changing in 5e but too much details is just that - too much.

Universal Translators can be found on pages 52-53 in Star Hero.

The Universal Transation Matrix ...

During First Contacts, before the Characters themselves talk to them, ask the race for Language samples for download. Once downloaded, the matrix will understand it, and you'll understand them.

OR

Just dont roll, instead assume it works, unless a Plot Device say it might not, then roll for each scene. As the each scene passes, work a few words in that does get translated, building up to the full translated language.

OR

Just assume Most aliens/humans know a common language for them to understand for ease of play. Star Hero goes into depth about these issues...

Originally posted by Yamo

There's still the annoying problem of having to roll dice every time anyone says anything...

Just roll once to establish that the UT has successfully "locked on" to the language, then assume that it will work correctly from then on. Only reroll if the first roll was a failure. This will create room for the plot device "non-working UT" without seriously effecting roleplay the rest of the time. :D

All suggestions may be ignored without notice :D

Originally posted by tmutant

Just roll once to establish that the UT has successfully "locked on" to the language, then assume that it will work correctly from then on. Only reroll if the first roll was a failure. This will create room for the plot device "non-working UT" without seriously effecting roleplay the rest of the time. :D

All suggestions may be ignored without notice :D

agreed, this will work great.

It's a plot device. So th emechanics are really irrelevant unless the PC's are to be given the power to muck about with the translators. Besides...why is the power relevant? :)

The Universal Translator power is hidden within an onboard computer system, whether ship-mounted or robodroid mounted or hand portable. So, you have an AI that acts a a universal translator, and it is relatively cheap for it to be "near perfect" (ie. the 30- skill roll). Players can't muck with the power, they have to muck with the AI, the memory or the programs.

Simplified Example::

Eidetic Memory

Prog: Access Universal Language Index

Prog: Access Specific Language File

Prog: Translate Language

Alternatively, the computer gets a Mind Link to all portable translators, and the robotic/android version gets the Mind Link, and has its own (smaller) onbaord translation ability, only between languages it knows. However, it is a convenient excuse for a link capable AI to LEARN languages.

This same idea extends to a nastier Firefly/B-5 universes where translators are uncommon or exist in varying forms of ability. The small hand portable that translates one-one languages up to the multiple language computer library system.

And that's my 2 cent science fictional opbservation.

For a character? Hmmm....Telepathy only to communicate? (cannot exceed +10 level. can only translate voluntary communication in beings language)...there's a base. Telepathy does understanding and comprehension...says so in the book. You must add inherent CSL's to gurantee a connection though....