Dr. Jones denied tenure.

Sociotard

Re: Dr. Jones denied tenure.

. . . But they kept him on staff, right?

Right?!

Doubtful. Using current rules (which I believe were the same back then) a faculty member in a "tenure track" position must achieve tenure by the end their 6th year, or the recieve a one year contract for the 7th, and are not rehired.

Of course, many of the comments made in the letter would never have been considered by a tenure committee, and certainly not in the 1930's.

Doubtful. Using current rules (which I believe were the same back then) a faculty member in a "tenure track" position must achieve tenure by the end their 6th year, or the recieve a one year contract for the 7th, and are not rehired.

Of course, many of the comments made in the letter would never have been considered by a tenure committee, and certainly not in the 1930's.

So, would you consider Dr. Jones tenure material if you were sitting on a committee?

TB

Actually, there were a number of assertions made that, I didn't quite know from whence they came. Like the statement that he hadn't taught more than four consecutive weeks of classes, ever. I was under the impression that we had only seen two specific adventures that occurred during his time at the university. (Temple of Doom was unclear on the matter, as I recall.)

It was kind of amusing, but... I found it lacking.

Actually, there were a number of assertions made that, I didn't quite know from whence they came. Like the statement that he hadn't taught more than four consecutive weeks of classes, ever. I was under the impression that we had only seen two specific adventures that occurred during his time at the university. (Temple of Doom was unclear on the matter, as I recall.)

It was kind of amusing, but... I found it lacking.

That's certainly the impression that I got from the movies. Clearly there was no indication in the movies that Jones was absent from his teaching profession for inordinate amounts of time. Plus, wasn't the archeological expedition seen at the beginning of the first movie actually funded by the university he was working at?

In fact, the only other canonical adventures he went on were apparently conducted while he was young (c.f. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles) and therefore not relevant. He must have done at least a few other adventures while he was a professor, so that he could have a rivalry with Belloq.

As far as his methods, this is the 1930s we're talking about, right? He would probably be considered a good archaeologist, just because all of the stuff he finds ends up in the museum - plenty were far less scrupulous...

So, would you consider Dr. Jones tenure material if you were sitting on a committee?

TB

Depends. If he continously missed classes, never published, etc. probably not. (BTW, I am a former university faculty member.)

But many of the allegations made in the letter are absurd. Based on what was shown in the movies, most of the places that he did things that might be considered crimes (but probably he would have gotten off on) were in the British Empire; they would have asked for his extradition if they had warrents on him.

The "his relationship with the boy is undesirable" would never be considered in 1939. The allegations of his "association with Nazis" would never have come to the College's attention, based on what was shown in the movies. Etc.

Also, in the 1930's there was little concern over how an antiquity was acquired. The impression from the film was that Jones brought in many items. In the 1930's that would probably gotten him in, as long as he covered his classes.

Still, the piece was funny.

If he had faced termination for lack of tenure, it would've merely resulted in:

"Yes Doctor Jones, while this could spell the end for your teaching career, a certain amount of clout could make it all go away. Clout my associates and I could provide. Of course, in exchange, there's a certain item I think you could help us find . . . "

"Yes Doctor Jones, while this could spell the end for your teaching career, a certain amount of clout could make it all go away. Clout my associates and I could provide. Of course, in exchange, there's a certain item I think you could help us find . . . "

Shouldn't you have used Spoiler tags before giving away the plot for the (rumored) fourth movie? :D

The part I liked was…

The lone student representative on the committee wished to convey that, besides being an exceptional instructor, a compassionate mentor, and an unparalleled gentleman, Dr. Jones was extraordinarily receptive to the female student body during and after the transition to a coeducational system at the college.

But did she get that ink off her eyelids before she went to the meeting?

Not very satisfying from a nit-picker's perspective

Hey!

Speaking from the aforementioned perspective, I resent that remark. Just because I can see the inconsistencies and contradictions in something, doesn't mean I allow them to detract from (or interfere with) the humor :cool:

I've given out too much rep, I owe you! :D