Best and Worst Costume/Appearance Changes

zornwil

Re: Best and Worst Costume/Appearance Changes

The Thordis page I linked is Jane Foster from that What If... issue.

Keith "recapitulation of the antecedent action" Curtis

:oOops. I didn't check the link. I slipped up on the Thordis referrence and thought that you were referring to the time when Loki convinced Thor he needed yet another lesson in humility...

Yeah, Jane Foster as Thordis. Yummy!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say when Walter Langowski's spirit took over the Sasquatch/Snowbird body' date=' I was amused at how well he took to becoming a hot female.[/quote']

Speaking of which, the white Sasquatch took some getting used to, but I came to like it more than the orange eventually. Completely forgot about that one.

My vote for best costume change would be when Neil Gaiman and Scott Hampton had Zatanna return to her classic stage magician's outfit for Books of Magic. Not that the super-hero suit was that awful' date=' but it couldn't hold a candle to her original costume.[/quote']

I didn't realize they put her "back" into it, didn't know it was otherwise, well, good for them!

All the modernising changes that have stuck are good, for example the red and gold Iron Man armour rather than the original bulky gold outfit. I liked Scarlet Witch's gypsy outfit with the bare midriff.

One change I didn't like was Moondragon's new white costume over the old green one. Yards of cleavage, knee-length high-heeled boots - why mess with a crowd-pleaser?

I gotta say when Walter Langowski's spirit took over the Sasquatch/Snowbird body, I was amused at how well he took to becoming a hot female.

Yeah, you'd think that someone who ended upchanging gender unwillingly would be all about dressing like their former self, adopting a haircut more reminiscent of the former gender, etc. Yet instead of flannel shirts and labcoats, Langkowski always seemed to dress like Jennifer Beals in Flashdance.

Yeah' date=' you'd think that someone who ended upchanging gender unwillingly would be all about dressing like their former self, adopting a haircut more reminiscent of the former gender, etc. Yet instead of flannel shirts and labcoats, Langkowski always seemed to dress like Jennifer Beals in Flashdance.[/quote']

...or at least be hard pressed to leave the house. While disturbing as a real idea, my Id has me thinking otherwise about the situation.

...or at least be hard pressed to leave the house. While disturbing as a real idea' date=' my Id has me thinking otherwise about the situation.[/quote']

Me too...as long as I turned into a sexy female, and not the female troll version I'm afraid I would look like.

Yeah' date=' you'd think that someone who ended upchanging gender unwillingly would be all about dressing like their former self, adopting a haircut more reminiscent of the former gender, etc. Yet instead of flannel shirts and labcoats, Langkowski always seemed to dress like Jennifer Beals in Flashdance.[/quote']

Although such a rapid change to such an extreme does seem at least questionable, gender and sexual identity are quite mutable. I think I'll leave it at that or otherwise we're getting too far OT. To the storyline, certainly it should have addressed it in some manner rather than be an abrupt inexplicable change.

I was never impressed by the green dress and "Edna Everidge glasses" type mask that they put "Marvel Girl" into at one stage. I also dislike almost any costume that features thigh high boots , especially on a guy ! ("killraven" Shudder !) The old "artist's smock" outfit that "Mastermind" was wearing way back when was awfully lame as well, and I didn't think much of the lavender and yellow outfit of Henry Pynm as "Goliath" when he rejoined" TheAvengers" On the other hand I didn't mind the new costume that Donna Troy got when she became "Troia" (I DIDN'T like the fact that they then did nothing WITH the character, mind you ") "Gypsy's" original costume (How did she run in that skirt ?), while making her LOOK a bit like a gypsy, didn't impress either, I much preferred her later costume.

Okay' date=' I get not liking thigh-highs on a guy, but what's not to like about a hot chick wearing a pair of "come-****-me" boots?[/quote'] Not while fighting crime ! During her "off duty" hours it's fine by me. I'm also a bit unimpressed with superheroines in high heels; especially if they are supposed to be martial artists (old "Black Canary" for example)

Not while fighting crime ! During her "off duty" hours it's fine by me. I'm also a bit unimpressed with superheroines in high heels; especially if they are supposed to be martial artists (old "Black Canary" for example)

But by that logic (which, of course, is valid ina real world), isn't most superhero clothing silly?

But by that logic (which' date=' of course, is valid ina real world), isn't most superhero clothing silly?[/quote']
shhhh!

Too late.

Inspector Schwab examined the corpse. It wasn't pretty. These things never are.

Patrolman Cheeks entered the room and promptly lost his lunch. It wasn't pretty. These things never are.

Wordlessly, he turned his large, imploring and soulful eyes to the Inspector. The eyes spoke volumes, asking the question that Cheeks never could.

"Yeah Cheeks," said Schwab. "It's just what it looks like. See the ears, the tail? The unnaturally large eyes and cute little fangs? Some schmuck has been calling attention to reality in comics. Poor little catgirl never stood a chance..."

Keith "*sniff*" Curtis

But by that logic (which' date=' of course, is valid ina real world), isn't most superhero clothing silly?[/quote'] I guess, inasmuch as it makes people stand out. But then I giess it's a genre thing and a matter of style. I have no objection to Zatanna wearing high heels for example; she's a magic user and doesn't need to leap about like an acrobat, but having someone whose sctick is martial arts or superhuman strength wearing them just strains my "willing suspension of disbelief" way too much ! (imagines "The Thing" in a pair of bright red high heels ! Shudders)