Has anyone ever played Superhero 2044?

assault

What it said in the thread title: has anyone here ever played Superhero 2044?

I recently ran into someone who plays another SHRPG who has recently converted his campaign over to the Superhero 2044 setting, and this piqued my curiousity. (I only ever saw SH:2044 once, briefly, 20+ years ago, and didn't find it particularly interesting, but that was 20+ years ago...)

Basically, I gather that SH:2044 was unplayably incomplete, but was to some degree an ancestor/influence on Champions/HERO. Apparently the point system created by Wayne Shaw that is mentioned in the HERO designers' notes was a set of house rules for SH:2044.

I'm a bit intrigued by the SH:2044 setting. Apparently, it's the best part of the system, although almost as sketchy as the rest of it.

Supposedly Judges Guild put out a map of the game setting under the title "Hazard".

Does anyone know any more about it? Has anyone actually played it? Any comments about how much it sucked?

Re: Has anyone ever played Superhero 2044?

Superhero 2044 by Gamescience, Inc.

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/encyclopedia/alphabetical/S.html#superhero2044

Superhero 2044 Review

http://rdushay.home.mindspring.com/Museum/Other/S2044revw.html

No can't say that I have played it, but I have seen it.

QM

I remember this game. We gave it a try once on a lark. The rules were primitive and sketchy and had a very rigid first-generation RPG structure and chart adoration that was fun in that it was retro, but not in that it provided a good play experience. The world wasn't particuliarly inspired, but it was different from the usual superhero fare, and had some elements that could be grabbed. All and all it left me wanting, but I didn't hate it, and it doesn't merit a good thrashing.

Way back in my high school days I had a copy - The world fluff was interesting, the characters (and villains) were all living on a big island with Super tech everywhere - that's about as much as I remember about the fluff..

Character creation rules were a tangle, incomplete, but it seemed cool enough that we WANTED to try and make characters even after not being able to figure out how to do it..

They had a system to figure out your patrol areas and what happens in the areas..

And this Quote- "The Doctor NEVER carries a gun!" with a Doc Samson like pic above it.. And the two characters in the back of the book, Multiplex (The Multiple Man) and ... some light guy, ccan't remember his name..

Bring your friend onto the board here so he can tell us about his setting! I'd be interested in hearing what he's done with it..

-CraterMaker

First superhero game I ever ran. It was interesting in that you had to devote patrol time and could come across random encounters. I ran a campaign for a few months until my brother decided he was done with RPGs and gave me his copy of champions.

And except for threads like this, I never looked back.

must go re-read...

Why not review it for us? :)

Rep if you do...

Seriously, I am kind of interested in the setting. Where is Inguria, and so on...

Also, if anybody has Hazard, the Judges Guild map thingie, I would be amused to read a review of that. I gather there is a treatment of Australia in that. That sounds... horrible...

That was the first superhero game that I ever refereed (way back in the dim,dark,distant, past) ! If I remember correctly, that was the campaign where two of my players created "Madame Lash" (A female, whip wielding "Ubermensch") and "The Vibrator" (a, what did they call them in that game ? er "gadgeteer" would be the term in "Champions". A man in an armoured suit with vibratory powers). They teamed up, of course !;)

I own it.

I tried to play it back when all we had was gas light and steam powered TV's.

It gave you a background. The major land masses of the world were gone, civilization survived on islands... weird. It was an outline withou a set of detailed rules. It said "okay, create powers using any point system you care to think of", totally free form. My group, Paragon Wargames Group, tried to build a game using AD&D magic spells modified into powers.

Failed.

But then again, Villains and Vigilantes was ascending. So we never went back to it.

Why not review it for us? :)

Rep if you do...

Seriously, I am kind of interested in the setting. Where is Inguria, and so on...

assault,

the review link by TheQuestionMan in his November 19 post does as good a job as I could.

[edit]

On re-reading the link, perhaps not - it's sketchy on the setting. I may post a review on the setting

[/edit]