WWYCD?: The blatant-ening.

Pendaran

Re: WWYCD?: The blatant-ening.

to quote someone else:

Pretty much disagreed on all points but everyone has the right to their opinions; but I still don't see what's the point it starting and angry thread about it. They're just things for fun, if you don't find them fun don't do 'em.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And apparently the right to basically tell them to stop posting them too.

I didn't tell you to stop posting your opinion, nor can I. I'm not moderator. I don't see the point of starting a thread to bitch about something trivial and easy to avoid. That's exactly what I said so no need to get defensive.

Yes' date=' you exactly said that there's no reason to post my opinions on things I dislike and made some judgements on how clearly silly it was to do so, while trying to affect like not judging at all, I got it.[/quote']

I said I don't see a reason to start a thread about something a trivial as WWYCD thread. Yes, I do think it silly just like I think it silly when people grip about them existing at all. Don't like them don't read them. Simple. Oh I AM judging what you did as pointless but telling you not too? Nope, its no skin off my nose either way if you want to do something pointless. I'm just expressing my opinion on it since you chose to do it in public. There's a fair bit of difference between saying you think something is pointless and telling someone not to do it. And I don't recall saying I wasn't judging what you did. That's exactly what I was doing. Like I said, everyone has their right to an opinon.

Heck, this is pretty pointless too except I'm bored....

I think that's my favourite part, people go round and round at length in response to someone saying they dislike something, on how much /they/ don't care, and how silly this all clearly is, and yet for all their affected easy going disinterest, they keep going on and on and on in order to protest their having such over and over, while still finding ways to stick in the original dismissive statements they made that are clearly having too much read into them.

"I only keep responding because I'm bored, tee hee!"

And yet you keep responding..

And yet you keep responding..

Mainly because you seem intent on making an issue like someone is trying to "silence" you. I don't mind that you dislike something or are doing something that seems silly, but either you've misunderstood me or you're trying to put words in my mouth. Either way clarification was required. I'll be blunt. I think you're getting way to agitated and spoiling for a fight over something inconsquential and I think you're reading way to much into people's my replies.

I even said in my initial post you DO have a point about some of the WWYCD but I find it easier to ignore the one I don't like that start threads about them. The ones that get ignored fade away. I normally ignore bitching threads to but tonight I'm bored so I said something. But yeah this is pointless because I somehow doubt your going to see what I'm saying.

I normally ignore bitching threads to but tonight I'm bored so I said something.

Let me quote you from your almost initial foray into complaining about the existance of this thread:

You know, if you don't like them you could just stop reading them. If enough people think they are there terrible travesties and do the same thing, they'll disappear.

How long have you been going at this now to talk about how it's all the other guy and his "bitching thread"?

I mean, I myself don't stoop to a level of giving people advice I myself don't especially abide by, but that's me.

I know, it's all good because "you're bored".

I even said in my initial post you DO have a point about some of the WWYCD

And then you went on to talk about how silly and trivial it all is and say things like this:

Pretty much disagreed on all points

Not my fault your desire to have some platform to riff about how high minded you are compared to the poor ol soul who can't stop himself from complaining, and gosh let's pity him, affects your ability to be consistent.

Let me quote you from your almost initial foray into complaining about the existance of this thread:

How long have you been going at this now to talk about how it's all the other guy and his "bitching thread"?

I mean, I myself don't stoop to a level of giving people advice I myself don't especially abide by, but that's me.

I know, it's all good because "you're bored".

I'm not sure what you mean about giving advice I don't follow myself since I didn't start a thread "Griping about Penderan's Griping". I did respond on your thread with how I ususally handle threads that bother me online and that I think you're getting worked up about nothing.

---Quote---

Pretty much disagreed on all points

---End Quote---

Not my fault your desire to have some platform to riff about how high minded you are compared to the poor ol soul who can't stop himself from complaining, and gosh let's pity him, affects your ability to be consistent

Not sure what your getting at here. I disgreed with what your stated problems with most of WWYCD then said it was your right to voice those opinions (which left out of your quotation...) which you seemd to have missed since you went on later to claim I was telling you not to post them.

I'm not sure what you mean about giving advice I don't follow myself since I didn't start a thread "Griping about Penderan's Griping". I did respond on your thread with how I ususally handle threads that bother me online and that I think you're getting worked up about nothing.

You'd think if, shall we say, you didn't like it, you didn't have to read it. And, I don't know, maybe if enough people think they're terrible travesties and do the same thing, they'll dissapear. Some guy said that.. somewhere..

I mean, clearly you can't, and you've now reached "I'm not /that/ much of a hypocrite, I could have done even worse and made a whole thread, instead of coming onto yours, saying how badly done it was, and saying how you should just ignore things you don't like!", but still. And definitely that wasn't a value judging of "at least I didn't do what /you/ did", certainly. You don't do that! You take the high road and don't acknowledge the threads that bother you! I mean, aside from the part where you don't do that at all, but hey.

And yes, you respond. And you keep responding. And you keep responding. All on a thread you claim to have no investment in and you find silly. I know, I know "you're bored", "it's fun", it's definitely /not/ about constant shot taking at view you don't like and those so posting them, because after all, you don't do that, your posts haven't kept doing that..

Not sure what your getting at here. I disgreed with what your stated problems with most of WWYCD then said it was your right to voice those opinions (which left out of your quotation...) which you seemd to have missed since you went on later to claim I was telling you not to post them.

Oh, you wanted the contradictory part left in? I'd thought it mostly spoke for itself without the help. By the way, how many posts is this now from you on a thread where you said people should just ignore the things they dislike?

I do appreciate the irony of you verging on double digits now in a thread where you keep talking about how bad the over investment of the other person is. And how people should just ignore the things that bother them. Come on, you can make ten! Keep going on about unreasonability and being worked up and whatever!

Good on you for at least starting to abandon the really badly stitched together pretense of not personally judging the other guy though, it's at least more honest and something you can build some consistency from.

The "pointing out my being a hypocrite makes you unreasonable" thing is a bit hard to support, but it's a start.

Would my players enjoy the game if I presented them with this scenario? No. Would my GM present me with such a scenario? No.

Likewise.

What would my Character(s) do in this event?

Does not matter at all what Character, campaign or system is used. First, verify the situation. Has either the GM or I been mixing medications, perhaps? Is it April 1st? Is the GM having problems at home? Is this all some kind of dream sequence, with my Character supposed to wake up at some point, presumably screaming? Am I, as a Player, actually dreaming the whole thing?

Gee. I'm getting all existential here.

If the GM is just being a ####, then walk. It really is that simple. Possibly give thought to kicking him in the maraccas on the way out.

This doesn't really sound much more far fetched than half the 'realistic choices' WWYCDs people post. It's gotten to the point where too many are just "Do this obvious choice." that it's weakened the concept to mere political and iron age comments on superheros.

Not to mention, why exactly is it a *bad* thing to be able to dodge a moral dilemma? In genre, part of the whole point of alot of moral dilemmas is that they are challenges to be overcome. Superheroing isn't generally about having sucky choices forced on you so you can come to a better understanding of existential despair, after all.

Oh, and, good lord, toxic meme that one is: "If you don't like it, why not just ignore it."

The answer in this context being "Because we don't want to ignore it, we want to *improve it*."

Anything that doesn't get negative criticism when it sucks, you will get more of it, and worse. The hope, here, is that if people actually *call* a horrible railroad a horrible railroad, other people will be less inclined to bother inflicted said upon the board. . . and maybe, just maybe, will realize *why* horrible railroads are bad.

Voltage: Wakes up in bed sweating. "I gotta stop eating those triple burritos after midnight."

If that doesn't work:

Voltage: Asks, "Excuse me, why would God need barbituates?" Comes to the conclusion that both the giant worm-thing and the fake Jesus are demons or some other kind of bad-guys, and they are working together. Obviously, they want me to kill my kid because he'll grow up to be powerful enough to stop them, or because such extreme moral compromise would allow them to take my soul, or something. Anyway, he injects the worm-thing with the syringe and electro-blasts the pretend Jesus (you didn't say all my powers were gone, just my flight).

If that doesn't work:

Wrestlinggeek: Asks the GM, "Would you care to step outside, or should I kick your ass in front of everybody?"

Oh, and, good lord, toxic meme that one is: "If you don't like it, why not just ignore it."

The answer in this context being "Because we don't want to ignore it, we want to *improve it*."

Anything that doesn't get negative criticism when it sucks, you will get more of it, and worse. The hope, here, is that if people actually *call* a horrible railroad a horrible railroad, other people will be less inclined to bother inflicted said upon the board. . . and maybe, just maybe, will realize *why* horrible railroads are bad.

Then post how and why something "sucks" in a thread or conversation where its approrpriate instead of "sarcastic" parody that ends up obscuring whatever point you're trying to make when a large number of people kind of roll their eyes or might even think you're serious. Sarcasm is easily misunderstood or even lost in online communication.

I thought the OP had a point. Some of the WWYCD threads have become railroads of a sort, but I do not think something like this is a very mature or effective why of communicating that opinion. Offering constructive criticism is fine and laudable, throwing what amounts to public tantrum and playing school yard games, less so.

No' date=' Boss Bunny, you're not the only one. The OP [i']was[/i] funny -- it was the attitude displayed later on by the original poster that spoiled the joke.:thumbdown

Well, it wasn't even his joke in the first place which explains the lack of humor afterwards pretty well.