What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Finished watching The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It was good, bad, and ugly; in other words, the title was a self-critique of the film. A more apt title would be "three rogues search for Confederate gold" however the title is more memorable.

One major criticism is that the director and/or screenplay was meandering and over indulgent. The film should have been tighter IMO. A good example is the final shootout, the eyes shifting went too long, and it lost the suspense for me, I ended up just wanting someone to shoot.

Finished watching The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It was good, bad, and ugly; in other words, the title was a self-critique of the film. A more apt title would be "three rogues search for Confederate gold" however the title is more memorable.

One major criticism is that the director and/or screenplay was meandering and over indulgent. The film should have been tighter IMO. A good example is the final shootout, the eyes shifting went too long, and it lost the suspense for me, I ended up just wanting someone to shoot.

You'll definitely want to skip Once Upon A Time In The West. You might not care for A Few Dollars More, but will probably like A Fistful Of Dollars (since it's basically a reshoot of Yojimbo.)

And he would hate Once Upon A Time In The West. Which I have just watched. The opening scene takes about 10 minutes with just the station master's dialogue and the three menacing cowboys two of whom are played by Jack Elam and Woody Strode.

Leone felt that American Westerns tended to go too quickly over some things and that is why you have all the extended looks at people's faces and switching between the characters.

Once Upon... was originally written by Leone, Bertolucci and Argento and they went through all sorts of Westerns beforehand preparing the script so you see echoes of Shane, High Noon and John Ford's Westerns in the finished script.

You also have Claudia Cardinale who is luminous and the real masterstroke, Henry Fonda as the bad guy. He kills a child, you can't get more evil than that at least in a Western.

And he would hate Once Upon A Time In The West. Which I have just watched. ...Henry Fonda as the bad guy. He kills a child' date=' you can't get more evil than that at least in a Western.[/quote']

Which is how Leone sold Fonda on the part. He basically told him... "a child is gunned down and the killer approaches through the dust. The camera pans up... and it's Henry Fonda."

You'll definitely want to skip Once Upon A Time In The West. You might not care for A Few Dollars More' date=' but will probably like [i']A Fistful Of Dollars[/i] (since it's basically a reshoot of Yojimbo.)

I've seen both other Man With No Name (his name is Blondie) westers, but that was a while ago. I have not got Yojimbo, but do have Seven Samarui though have not got to the end yet. And have seen Magnificant Seven which is a western remake.

Next up is Unforgiven or Spartacus, haven't decided yet.

I've seen both other Man With No Name (his name is Blondie) westers, but that was a while ago. I have not got Yojimbo, but do have Seven Samarui though have not got to the end yet. And have seen Magnificant Seven which is a western remake.

Next up is Unforgiven or Spartacus, haven't decided yet.

Blondie is only what Tuco calls him. He never gives a name. In FFoD he's Joe, in AFDM, he's Manco." in OUATitW he's Harmonica.

Henry Fonda as the bad guy. He kills a child' date=' you can't get more evil than that at least in a Western.[/quote']

So that scene in Boot Hill which you and zornwil eye each other off then close in for the kill, only to realize all these years of hostility was just latent sexual attraction, and you end up kissing passionately, thus your latent uncontrollable sexual passion towards each other totally wrecking Tombstone?

Or was it that nude scene you did in The Tribble With No Name trilogy? That was evil, even for you.

Wolfman (2010) - Pretty standard fare, which is not surprising considering that it is based on the original 1941 version. I enjoyed watching it, but I was left feeling that it could have been a lot better. Benicio Del Toro was bland. His Hamlet act at the beginning of the movie had far more heart than his portrayal of Lawrence Talbot. With all the advances in werewolf graphics over the years, I would have preferred something that looked a little less like a linebacker in a wolf mask and something more like a, uh I don't know, werewolf maybe. I get homages, but the original Wolfman looked a little silly.

Highlights include Emily Blunt, great opening sequence and gorgeous moon graphics. Overall, the movie was a good compromise between the "Saturday Monster Feature" and a modern horror flick. Despite Del Toro's worst efforts at making the film boring, there were better than decent performances by the other cast. Even some of the extras did a better job than the lead. Next time somebody does a remake, at least get an actor that gives a damn.

Low point is Del Toro. I know he is supposed to be this great legendary thing, but his performance was wooden and uninspired. By the time we get halfway through the movie, I was really looking forward to the inevitable conclusion. And he did his level best to make the death scene look like a farce.

BTW, if nobody has seen the original Wolfman and I spoiled something, sorry. The destination is the same in this movie, but the steps to get there are a little different. Too bad that Universal bombed this project. I would have expected a little more care be given when bringing back a Universal icon like this. Even a modern, Hollywood studio should do better than that. Still, you could worse for a couple hours entertainment.

So that scene in Boot Hill which you and zornwil eye each other off then close in for the kill, only to realize all these years of hostility was just latent sexual attraction, and you end up kissing passionately, thus your latent uncontrollable sexual passion towards each other totally wrecking Tombstone?

Or was it that nude scene you did in The Tribble With No Name trilogy? That was evil, even for you.

I'll make sure Zornwil reads this. Then we'll decide how to make you pay for your treachery.

... Then played by Charles Bronson (if memory serves^^.)

Correct. And in a perfect world, the three men waiting for Harmonica would have been Eli Wallach, Clint Eastwood, and Lee Van Cleef (Sergio Leone's initial choice.)

I watched The Magic Blade last night. A 1976 Shaw Brothers film about a pair of swordsmen fighting against an evil martial arts master over who will get to the legendary Peacock Dart first. Interesting, especially because of the utterly crazy formation fighting styles some of the bad guys use. Also, the evil mastermind has five main killers working for him -- one's a chess master, one's a man who looks and sounds like a woman, one's a monk/painter, and so on. Pretty fun in a pre-1980s/Tsui Hark kind of way.

I've been catching up on Doctor Who. Last night I watched the two-parter where reptilian humanoids attack the surface world when they're threatened by a miles-deep borehole. Whats-his-name (the fifth-wheel companion) doesn't die but ceases to have existed at all, because of some interdimensional crack which seems to be portending the ultimate destruction of the Tardis.