What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Renting the first four episodes of the camp classic TV series The Wild Wild West. The show is part '50s TV Western, part Bond movie and part Adam West-era Batman.

I haven't gotten yet to the introduction of the series most iconic villain, Dr. Miguelito Loveless. Michael Dunn, the actor who played him, was three feet ten inches tall and weighed only 78 pounds, and one of his regrets was that he didn't get to join the rest of the cast in their roughhousing (Robert Conrad insisted on doing all of his own stunts and fight scenes).

EDIT: Turned out it was the very next episode I screened, "The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth". For Dunn it was a tour-de-force, showcasing all his talents (including a remarkably beautiful tenor voice). What an amazing man Michael Dunn was....

Grand Master Ip Man. Donnie Yen, needs to be in the Expendables Sequel.

~Rex

I've seen Ip Man I and II, and I have to say those films rock. They also have the best film representations I've ever seen of what a Naked Autofire advantage applied to a Martial Strike would look liike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4

EDIT: Full Defense Maneuver too, looking at it again.

Sunshine

What a horrible movie. Neat premise. Hate everything past the "last dinner" scene. I guess that means I hate the entire movie and I suppose that is true.

Never was a fan of the "if it can possibly go wrong on a space mission, it will" style of movies. Never was a fan of the everybody dies movies either. There was nothing to like about this movie. About the only thing I can say good about it is that it was better acted than that Mission to Mars movie a few years back with Tim Robbins and Gary Sinise. Damning with faint praise if you will.

Sunshine

What a horrible movie. Neat premise. Hate everything past the "last dinner" scene. I guess that means I hate the entire movie and I suppose that is true.

Never was a fan of the "if it can possibly go wrong on a space mission, it will" style of movies. Never was a fan of the everybody dies movies either. There was nothing to like about this movie. About the only thing I can say good about it is that it was better acted than that Mission to Mars movie a few years back with Tim Robbins and Gary Sinise. Damning with faint praise if you will.

This was on TV(SyFi or Showtime, I don't remember) last month got 15-20 min. in and turned it off.

Renting the first four episodes of the camp classic TV series The Wild Wild West. The show is part '50s TV Western' date=' part Bond movie and part Adam West-era [i']Batman[/i].

I haven't gotten yet to the introduction of the series most iconic villain, Dr. Miguelito Loveless. Michael Dunn, the actor who played him, was three feet ten inches tall and weighed only 78 pounds, and one of his regrets was that he didn't get to join the rest of the cast in their roughhousing (Robert Conrad insisted on doing all of his own stunts and fight scenes).

EDIT: Turned out it was the very next episode I screened, "The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth". For Dunn it was a tour-de-force, showcasing all his talents (including a remarkably beautiful tenor voice). What an amazing man Michael Dunn was....

thanks for giving me an idea for an adition to my netflix que

Renting the first four episodes of the camp classic TV series The Wild Wild West. The show is part '50s TV Western' date=' part Bond movie and part Adam West-era [i']Batman[/i].

The producers probably figured that the heroes would look like bullies if they beat up a midget. And if they lost a fistfight with someone half their size, well...

A little bit of what made Dr. Loveless so remarkable a character: the contrast between his apparent motivation and the ruthless means he used to try and achieve them:

I must have missed a few lines. Aside from showing off his inventions and proving his credentials as a steampunk mad scientist, what exactly was his main goal in that episode, and how did he try to go about it?

I must have missed a few lines. Aside from showing off his inventions and proving his credentials as a steampunk mad scientist' date=' what exactly was his main goal in that episode, and how did he try to go about it?[/quote']

In the first appearance, Loveless somehow believed he could blackmail the state of California into restoring lands his family had help while the Spanish ruled California. He was going to do this with explosives, planted at various locations in the San Francisco area, that would kill thousands when they went off. He was going to use the land to open a sanctuary of sorts.

In the first appearance' date=' Loveless somehow believed he could blackmail the state of California into restoring lands his family had help while the Spanish ruled California. He was going to do this with explosives, planted at various locations in the San Francisco area, that would kill thousands when they went off. He was going to use the land to open a sanctuary of sorts.[/quote']

Thanks for the explanation. The only episode I ever saw with him had Doctor Loveless attempting to proclaim himself the Emperor of Mexico.

I watched a 1931 Warner Bros production of the Maltese Falcon. It may have been better with Bogey but it was still pretty damn good, especially when compared with other films of that era.

I just acquired season one of Star Trek (the one that started it all) with remastered FX. I look forward to seeing it again.

ETA: The Maltese Falcon was the first Detective Novel I ever read. I wasted over $100 (in 1984 dollars) buying more until I figured out that I had read the best of the genre in the first go and nothing else could live up to that standard. Bummer. :P

Red Sun. A Western starring Charles Bronson, Toshiro Mifune, Ursula Andress and Alain Delon. Delon and Bronson rob the train that the Japanese ambassador is on and steal a sword meant for the President. Delon then double crosses Bronson and sets off with the loot. The Ambassador sends Mifune and Bronson to get the sword. Really quite good.

Chato's Land. Bronson is a half breed Apache who kills a racist Sheriff. A posse sets off after him and ends up fighting him on his ground. Jack Palance, Ralph (Pa Walton), James Whitmore and Richard Baseheart are are all recognisable faces in the posse.

Hmm....hard to describe because it was different then a lot of other westerns......Wikipedia has a good slab for it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun%E2%80%93Will_Travel

One of my favorite shows. Hard to top Paladin as a character especially if you have Pulp leanings like I do.

~Rex

Hmm....hard to describe because it was different then a lot of other westerns......Wikipedia has a good slab for it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gun%E2%80%93Will_Travel

One of my favorite shows. Hard to top Paladin as a character especially if you have Pulp leanings like I do.

~Rex

It really does sound like an exceptional show.

Myself, I'm about to watch the third Mummy movie, the one about the Dragon Emperor. Any advice on how it stacks up against the first two?