What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I don't agree there. :)

There are a fair number of fat (looking) marathon runners and other endurance athletes. A fat guy probably couldn't have won the marathon, but many could have completed it.

I don't think he ever ran a marathon, but Sammo Hung is someone who looks big but is very athletic.

I don't think he ever ran a marathon' date=' but Sammo Hung is someone who looks big but is very athletic.

Yup. The NFL is full of guys who look fat and are paid to run up and down a field. Baseball has a few as well. They wouldn't be fast marathon runners, but you could condition one to get through it.

I don't agree there. :)

There are a fair number of fat (looking) marathon runners and other endurance athletes. A fat guy probably couldn't have won the marathon, but many could have completed it.

I don't think he ever ran a marathon' date=' but Sammo Hung is someone who looks big but is very athletic.

Yup. The NFL is full of guys who look fat and are paid to run up and down a field. Baseball has a few as well. They wouldn't be fast marathon runners' date=' but you could condition one to get through it.[/quote']

Look, as a guy who is heavier than he should be, I would love to belive this, but a marathon is not something a guy who is even twenty pounds overweight would have trouble with. He might be able to walk/run and gut it out, but I don't see him finishing without serious problems. Admittedly, in the movie he's moving at a snail's pace, and it's all about guts more than glory, but...

Football players and many baseball players are not endurance athletes. They are great athletes, but in a different way. The big guys on the line are all about a sudden burst of power. They exert themselves like ten seconds at a time then the play ends. Those guys aren't running a marathon. Guys like Babe Ruth and Jose Valenzuela weren't really stealing bases. Babe could hit it out of the park and then trot around the bases in between bites of his sammich. Valenzuela had to keep his arm up to pitch.

Soccer and basketball players are endurance athletes. Tour de France riders are endurance athletes. Notice how thin they tend to be.

Sammo Hung is a freak of nature. I've never seen another bigger guy who do the stuff he can. I still don't think he would be in a big rush to run a marathon. He could easily kick my butt, but I can't see him doing all that running.

I'd like to see that' date=' if possible.[/quote']

It's an Australian film based on a very popular young adult book series. I'd rate it 4-4.5 out of 5. I really enjoyed it.

basic plot: a group of teens go camping to a place they call 'Hell', and while there see multiple fleet of aircraft fly overhead. When they come back home they find thing have changed, and tomorrow...the war began...

Look, as a guy who is heavier than he should be, I would love to belive this, but a marathon is not something a guy who is even twenty pounds overweight would have trouble with. He might be able to walk/run and gut it out, but I don't see him finishing without serious problems. Admittedly, in the movie he's moving at a snail's pace, and it's all about guts more than glory, but...

Football players and many baseball players are not endurance athletes. They are great athletes, but in a different way. The big guys on the line are all about a sudden burst of power. They exert themselves like ten seconds at a time then the play ends. Those guys aren't running a marathon. Guys like Babe Ruth and Jose Valenzuela weren't really stealing bases. Babe could hit it out of the park and then trot around the bases in between bites of his sammich. Valenzuela had to keep his arm up to pitch.

Soccer and basketball players are endurance athletes. Tour de France riders are endurance athletes. Notice how thin they tend to be.

Sammo Hung is a freak of nature. I've never seen another bigger guy who do the stuff he can. I still don't think he would be in a big rush to run a marathon. He could easily kick my butt, but I can't see him doing all that running.

I'm a fat man; I walk & run 4 - 5 miles per day (about 20 miles per week), and am pretty sure I could grind my way through a marathon given a few months to train. I know fat looking people who run (really jog) marathons, slowly. It's not good news for their joints, but they manage it. To win, endurance athletes almost always need to be lean; you don't need to be lean to complete a marathon. You just need cardio capacity, mental endurance, and the muscle to move your bulk. Mostly you complete it by moving as long as you can, grinding out as much as you can, and not thinking about anybody else.

Here's a picture of a fat runner in the London Marathon, because on Teh Internets it's pics or it didn't happen:

marathon2006fat400_400x293.jpg

Date Night. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I was expecting a nondescript romantic comedy and got a screwball caper movie instead. I liked it. Tina Fey was outstanding, and I'm finding that I like Steve Carell in pretty much anything other than The Office.

Wallace & Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death. I liked this one as well, though it was a little darker than the other W&G films. Without spoiling, let me just say that the antagonist wasn't just a crook or a schemer, but a cereal killer. That made it feel a little more serious than the previous episodes. Still recommended, though.

I'm a fat man; I walk & run 4 - 5 miles per day (about 20 miles per week), and am pretty sure I could grind my way through a marathon given a few months to train. I know fat looking people who run (really jog) marathons, slowly. It's not good news for their joints, but they manage it. To win, endurance athletes almost always need to be lean; you don't need to be lean to complete a marathon. You just need cardio capacity, mental endurance, and the muscle to move your bulk. Mostly you complete it by moving as long as you can, grinding out as much as you can, and not thinking about anybody else.

Here's a picture of a fat runner in the London Marathon, because on Teh Internets it's pics or it didn't happen:

marathon2006fat400_400x293.jpg

I allowed that someone who was somewhat heavy could walk/run and gut it out over 20 miles. However, I can't imagine that that was a blazing lap time the guy in the picture set down, and I'm having a hard time thinking he finished. I will look into it, but I'm still not convinced. I can't say you're wrong, but my brain won't allow me to say that you're right either.

Zombieland -- it was great fun. I need to do a character sheet for Tallahassee. I also find that the idea of the "infected" as opposed to "undead" zombie has a lot of potential for different settings. For example, I could easily see some sort of bio-terror weapon getting out of hand and turning people into monsters in my Kazei 5 setting. Thus allowing one to have an animepunk zombie holocaust!

Batman&Superman: Apocalypse. Another enjoyable direct to video animated adventure from DC. The Green Arrow short was enjoyable as well. Of the ones that have come out so far, I think this one moved up to my favorite. There were a few things I thought could have been done better to make the movie go together better. Overall though it was a lot of fun, and the final fight was awesome.

Sherlock Holmes. I liked the take, and the banter between Jude Law and Robert Downy Jr. was great. I also like how they illustrate Holme's thought processes, with him running through events before he does them. Perfect example of what someone with 25+ INT and +4 PER would be like.

Sherlock Holmes. I liked the take' date=' and the banter between Jude Law and Robert Downy Jr. was great. I also like how they illustrate Holme's thought processes, with him running through events before he does them. Perfect example of what someone with 25+ INT and +4 PER would be like.[/quote']

Liked it a lot, but didn't like turning Irene Adler into Emma Peel or Moriarty into Satan. Still would have made an awesome Victorian / Edwardian Pulp game.

Liked it a lot' date=' but didn't like turning Irene Adler into Emma Peel or Moriarty into Satan. Still would have made an awesome Victorian / Edwardian Pulp game.[/quote']

I didn't mind hiding Moriarty, as it looked like the obvious sequel set up. Personally, I could have done without Irene Adler, as I wanted to see more of the interaction with Holmes and Watson.