What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I need to see this again. I'm currently working on the world's worst stage version of Mockingbird' date=' and I need to be reminded how the good version goes.[/quote']

Yow! Sorry to hear that. I hadn't seen the movie since high school and I had put it on a pretty high pedestal. I have to say that it mostly lived up to my very idealized memory. The scenes with Peck and the kids were the best, IMHO.

The Tingler....despite the ludicrous premise, I found this reasonably entertaining. Vincent Price can make most films watchable and his ability to make the most absurd dialogue sound like Shakespeare definitely works here. Basically good cheesy fun. Can't believe it has actually taken me so long to get around to watching this. The hand coming out of the tub of blood is actually pretty creepy though (with the film changing from Black and White to color).

Outsourced. The show holds promise but all the gags were low-hanging fruit, and much of it was moldy and rotten. Hollywood loves to portray Americans as culturally insensitive, but cultural insensitivity isn't funny to me, just painful. You can almost hear the mocking laughter of the writers as they make the main character a stand-in for all the things they dislike about other Americans (not them, of course, the writers are the enlightened ones and would never be guilty of cultural insensitivity smiley-rolleyes010.gif). Since it's an ensemble cast comedy, they might need some time together before they "click". I won't take it off my DVR schedule unless it becomes evident that it's not getting any better.

The World at War, the legendary 1970s documentary series covering the Second World War is vivid, exacting detail. is high on my Netflix queue now. A lot of effort was put into explaining the contemporary mindsets of the participation nations and their people, showing a great interest in the whys of history. The numerous errors and miscalculations of France's political and military leadership are a sterling example. There was almost nothing they did that wasn't totally wrong-headed, and it was interesting how the course of the war would have changed had France adopted a more offensive mindset.

Also saw the two-part TV film of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel Hogfather. Mr. Teatime is a very unsettling villain, and seemingly omniscient -- but you'd almost have to be to be a worthy adversary for Death. Still, Pratchett does wear his atheism on his sleeve here, even in a world filled with supernatural happenings, so it may not be for everybody. Still, I want to see what else the actor who played Mr. Teatime has done.

Outsourced. The show holds promise but all the gags were low-hanging fruit' date=' and much of it was moldy and rotten. Hollywood loves to portray Americans as culturally insensitive, but cultural insensitivity isn't funny to me, just painful. You can almost hear the mocking laughter of the writers as they make the main character a stand-in for all the things they dislike about other Americans (not them, of course, the writers are the [i']enlightened ones [/i]and would never be guilty of cultural insensitivity smiley-rolleyes010.gif). Since it's an ensemble cast comedy, they might need some time together before they "click". I won't take it off my DVR schedule unless it becomes evident that it's not getting any better.

And as this is exactly what I expected from a modern TV show, especially one with that title, thanks for taking the bullet and letting me know that my lowest expectations were met. :no:

The World at War, the legendary 1970s documentary series covering the Second World War is vivid, exacting detail. is high on my Netflix queue now. A lot of effort was put into explaining the contemporary mindsets of the participation nations and their people, showing a great interest in the whys of history. The numerous errors and miscalculations of France's political and military leadership are a sterling example. There was almost nothing they did that wasn't totally wrong-headed, and it was interesting how the course of the war would have changed had France adopted a more offensive mindset.

The way I've read, France's real problem was one part an over-dependence on the Maginot Line as 'invincible' and having an army ready to fight the last war. I.e., using tanks and airplanes as infantry support, and not enough of either. They might've been ready to face the German blitzkrieg tactics properly had they listened to this one officer... but nobody in the High Command liked De Gaulle.