What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Outsourced. The show holds promise but all the gags were low-hanging fruit' date=' and much of it was moldy and rotten. Hollywood loves to portray Americans as culturally insensitive, but cultural insensitivity isn't funny to me, just painful. You can almost hear the mocking laughter of the writers as they make the main character a stand-in for all the things they dislike about other Americans (not them, of course, the writers are the [i']enlightened ones [/i]and would never be guilty of cultural insensitivity smiley-rolleyes010.gif). Since it's an ensemble cast comedy, they might need some time together before they "click". I won't take it off my DVR schedule unless it becomes evident that it's not getting any better.

From the ads, the show looked hopelessly racist. Admittedly, a lot of people lost jobs to outsourcing to India, but I wouldn't blame the Indians for it rather than the companies who seem obligated to seek the cheapest labor possible regardless of the consequences for the country.

The way I've read' date=' France's real problem was one part an over-dependence on the Maginot Line as 'invincible' and having an army ready to fight the [i']last[/i] war. I.e., using tanks and airplanes as infantry support, and not enough of either. They might've been ready to face the German blitzkrieg tactics properly had they listened to this one officer... but nobody in the High Command liked De Gaulle.

There were innumerable problems in France. The country went through governments at an alarming rate, for example, and nobody was keen on taking responsibility for pretty much anything. The French fight well when strongly led -- but in between insipid military leadership and unstable political leadership they were doomed.

There were innumerable problems in France. The country went through governments at an alarming rate' date=' for example, and nobody was keen on taking responsibility for pretty much anything. The French fight well when strongly led -- but in between insipid military leadership and unstable political leadership they were doomed.[/quote']

Many factors led to France's defeat. While there is a lot of truth to your statement, one also can't discount the fact that in some areas, the Germans were just better prepared to fight a more modern war. The first big advantage was air power. It acted as a powerful multiplier for the ground forces. The second area was the type of combined arms mechanized formations represented by the panzer divisions. Both the French and the British lacked the tanks, tactics, and organization to be as effective as the Germans. This would change, but it would be a long time coming.

Along with the above was the different interpretations of the lessons of WW I. At the time, another World War was considered unthinkable, thus The Allies didn't adequately prepare for it. They also had to deal with the realities of democratic politics, which meant that they had to build not on the forces which won the war in 1918(now long since demobilized), but forces which would instead avoid the "slaughter of the trenches" that had so dominated the popular perception of the war. This thinking led to France's investment in static defenses(the Maginot Line) while Britain focused on strategic options...primarily air power and the concept of strategic bombing. Both nations desparate wanted to avoid the costly ground fighting of the Great War. This failure to properly prepare was compounded by the rate of technological change. German forces were more up to date simply because they were planning on fighting from the get go(and made conscious effort to update their forces properly) while The Allies wanted to avoid it. World War 2 and its various causes could fill a thousand term papers, but at its core, it is in many ways a continuation of the first.

Run Fatboy' date=' Run[/i'] -- I found it very funny and Simon Pegg is a great comedic actor.

Yup, good cast. I was hoping for another Hot Fuzz or Shawn of the Dead, which it wasn't, but as a romantic comedy I liked it a lot.

(Anyone who could ever call Simon Pegg fat has no idea what the heck Fat means)

I watched Dr. Jeckyll and Sister Hyde this afternoon. Intriguing twist on a classic story, though there were a few problems with the story line, aside from the tying of Burke and Hare and the Ripper (real-life murderers) into the Jeckyll/Hyde story,which was a bit much to swallow. The first being that Mrs. Hyde's story of being a widow. Fortunately neither of her would-be lovers apparently got far enough to find out the truth.

The other flaw was that the story was supposedly Jeckyll's deathbed confession, yet we see a spilled beaker pouring a transparent fluid on the manuscript, and it slowly burning away.

Just watched Iron Man 2 again.

Although I enjoyed the movie, I can honestly say about the only thing I would NOT have done differently was the suitcase armor. I would have scrapped everything else. In particular Sam Rockwell's clown version of Hammer. There was no menace to this guy at all. Hammer is a schemer and should have been played as such. Rockwell played him like a smarmy game-show host. It reminded me of Bill Murray more than anything else, but without Bill's charm.

I watched Dr. Jeckyll and Sister Hyde this afternoon. Intriguing twist on a classic story, though there were a few problems with the story line, aside from the tying of Burke and Hare and the Ripper (real-life murderers) into the Jeckyll/Hyde story,which was a bit much to swallow. The first being that Mrs. Hyde's story of being a widow. Fortunately neither of her would-be lovers apparently got far enough to find out the truth.

The other flaw was that the story was supposedly Jeckyll's deathbed confession, yet we see a spilled beaker pouring a transparent fluid on the manuscript, and it slowly burning away.

If this is the Hammer horror version (which tried to bring in filmgoers by bragging "See a man turn into a woman on the screen before your very eyes!"), then I'd like to know: where and how did you get a copy? I might like to get one for myself.

Oh yes, and I just watched the original Japanese version of Gamera versus Baragon, with commentary. Nice piece of work for a Gamera film, and from one viewing as a child I'd forgotten just how bloody it got. Though I was surprised to realize that I remembered the bit where Baragon slurps the (human) villain up with his tongue.

I finally realized I can download public domain video (movies, ads, etc) so a couple of nights ago I watched an episode of the Burns and Allen Show complete with ads for carnation milk, and Yongari, Monster from the Deep, a South Korean Gojira-like monster movie.

Yup, good cast. I was hoping for another Hot Fuzz or Shawn of the Dead, which it wasn't, but as a romantic comedy I liked it a lot.

(Anyone who could ever call Simon Pegg fat has no idea what the heck Fat means)

That was a funny movie. I think the point wasn't that Simon Pegg was meant to be an obese person, but an unhealthy, slightly paunchy guy with no motivation to better himself in any area. When his character is compared to the new hyper-fit, ultra-successful boyfriend, the title sort of makes sense. Anyway, if they had cast Kevin James or the pre-svelte Seth Rogan, the tite would have made more literal sense, but the ending would have been ridiculous.

On an unrelated note, who designated Thandie Newton as hot? She is not unattractive, but she looks like she weighs maybe 100 pounds and has a very boyish look. Not my thing at all.

Anyway' date=' if they had cast Kevin James or the pre-svelte Seth Rogan, the tite would have made more literal sense, but the ending would have been ridiculous.[/quote']

I don't agree there. :)

There are a fair number of fat (looking) marathon runners and other endurance athletes. A fat guy probably couldn't have won the marathon, but many could have completed it.