What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Hidamari Sketch, an anime series about art students in Tokyo sharing a six-unit apartment complex, has just started its fourth season. It's a show full of gentle, character-based humor and a personal favorite, and I was luck enough to find the first two episodes subbed by fans.

In the first part of the new season, the third-year seniors are on a school trip to Hokkaido, Japan's main northern island. What makes this trip especially interesting is that only two of the main characters get to go. They are Sae, a young novelist who went to art school ostensibly so she could do her own illustrations (she's actually published and earns her living writing), and Hiro. Hiro is her best friend and principal support in times of trial, as well as the best cook and caretaker in the building. She is also very obviously and deeply in love with Sae. One of the ongoing questions is whether the somewhat boyish Sae returns her feelings -- whenever asked about her love life, Sae will invent an intricate history for herself that is obviously spurious, blushing furiously all the while. Still, a lot of the time Sae and Hiro act like a married couple, whether they realize it or not, and when they hear about plans for the trip their underclassmen can't help but refer to it as a "honeymoon".

The Japanese are much more tolerant of same-sex relationships in their fiction than they are in reality. The gay rights movement has never really taken off there.

"Tomorrow's Children" from 1934, a ripped from the headlines story about forced sterilization. It's largely in favor of same for eugenics reasons, but for dramatic purposes the system goes wrong when a innocent girl is condemned because of her horrible family. She's saved at the last moment when it turns out she's adopted. It also has a chronic criminal point out that a vasectomy won't prevent him from stealing, it just keeps him from getting stuck for child support.

La Grande Voudrille. This was for many years the biggest film in France. It concerns the aircrew of a British bomber shot down over Paris and how three of the crew try to escape to the free part of France. They are assisted by a decorator and an orchestra conductor who meet a couple of the airmen when they land close to them. The pilot is played by Terry Thomas. It is a wonderful film and contains an unusual escape method at the end.

Yesterday's Topless Robot daily list was the Ten Best Twilight Zone episodes from the 80s series. I spent the evening watching them all. Very fun, and mostly better than I remember from the series.

Here is the only one that I remember from the original airing, but it always left a hell of an impression on me. Ranked #6 on the list, it's probably my #1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnNL5VCmnWA

Last night I watched The Mist. I remember much to do being made about the ending when it came out, with some people despising it and others loving it. Somehow I made it this far without spoiling it so I was ready for anything. Personally, I liked the ending. The rest of the film I was only eh about, though.