What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I recently picked up all 5 seasons of Angel for about $40. Still have yet to watch them' date=' though I understand they intertwine from time to time with Buffy.[/quote']

A few times. The major one is Buffy Season 4 right after Buffy and Faith switch brains. Some are more subtle, at the beginning of Buffy Season 4, the phone rings and Buffy picks it up and no one is there. There is no explanation. That week, on Angel, Angel calls Buffy but doesn't say anything and hangs up. In Buffy season 4, there is a ring that makes Vampire's immune to sunlight (and pretty much unkillable) and Buffy manages to get it away from Spike. When Buffy says that she only trusts Angel to have such a power artifact, Oz says that he has a gig in LA. On the next episode of Angel, Oz shows up. There are some more during Buffy 5, 6, and 7. When Buffy moved from WB to UPN, there was a "no crossovers" mandate from the networks, but they still happened, just with secondary characters.

I recently picked up all 5 seasons of Angel for about $40. Still have yet to watch them' date=' though I understand they intertwine from time to time with Buffy.[/quote']

I own all the Buffy seasons, but only Angel season 1. Thanks for the heads-up on the price drop. They were something absurd (like $40 a season) when they first hit DVD.

Angel got kind of crappy towards the last two seasons. I really wanted to like it, but I was struck by the very brazen fear/hatred of pregnancy/maternity.

Didn't like Buffy season 7 all that much either. There were some very awesome scenes/dialog, but those scenes were often overshadowed by the suckage that was the rest of the season.

Angel got kind of crappy towards the last two seasons. I really wanted to like it, but I was struck by the very brazen fear/hatred of pregnancy/maternity.

Didn't like Buffy season 7 all that much either. There were some very awesome scenes/dialog, but those scenes were often overshadowed by the suckage that was the rest of the season.

A lot of what happened in s7 seemed rushed to me.

I own all the Buffy seasons' date=' but only Angel season 1. Thanks for the heads-up on the price drop. They were something absurd (like $40 a season) when they first hit DVD.[/quote']

If you're looking to catch up, Netflix has all of Angel available on demand.

Lockout.

It had it's share of rubber-movie physics and plot holes, but pretty much delivered on what it was supposed to be, so I'll forgive a lot. Could have used a few beers, but I'm taking a break from drinking.

I should probably use this time to watch some good, classic movies...

Lockout.

It had it's share of rubber-movie physics and plot holes, but pretty much delivered on what it was supposed to be, so I'll forgive a lot. Could have used a few beers, but I'm taking a break from drinking.

Lockout could have been a great Snake Plissken movie. Good b-movie action fun.

Lockout.

Lockout could have been a great Snake Plissken movie. Good b-movie action fun.

Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes tonight. Best apes running amok movie EVER. I think it's probably my favorite of the entire franchise. The plot was pretty straightforward, but almost everything was executed very well. Cheered for Caesar the whole time. Bonus: Lots of screen time for Freida Pinto.:love:

The CGI was excellent for the most part. The apes were a little too agile in a few scenes, and a little too weak in others. (No way in hell a dog catcher's snare is going to work on an adult chimp, for example.) Great ape acting by the motion capture actors.

When we checked to see if the Netflix disc had any extras on it, we came up empty. But we found the voice over descriptions for sight impaired people and decided to check that out to see how good it was. As expected, it left a lot of detail out due to having to keep up with the movie, but mostly did a pretty good job at conveying the action. It only fell down at the end

when it didn't mention all of the ape troop standing up straight right before Caesar climbed the redwood.

I thought that was a glaring omission since it was a pretty hugely symbolic scene. It was also odd that the VO was written using Britishisms, like "boot," "bonnet," and "windscreen" for car parts. It mentioned the traffic "rammed up" in one scene instead of "jammed," and I'm wondering if that's also a Britishism.

Overall, I give it five out of five bananas. It left me wanting to see the continued adventures of Caesar.

It was also odd that the VO was written using Britishisms, like "boot," "bonnet," and "windscreen" for car parts. It mentioned the traffic "rammed up" in one scene instead of "jammed," and I'm wondering if that's also a Britishism.

Not that I am aware of.