What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Yes! I really liked her in Hunted. Sucks that it got cancelled.

I didn't know that!! Jim is now sad, but I found this:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hunted-creator-frank-spotnitz-on-the-series-finale-and-the-future-of-sam-hunter

EDIT: Quick Reply is being annoying. Is anyone else experiencing a general slowness on the forums.

I didn't know that!! Jim is now sad, but I found this:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/hunted-creator-frank-spotnitz-on-the-series-finale-and-the-future-of-sam-hunter

EDIT: Quick Reply is being annoying. Is anyone else experiencing a general slowness on the forums.

Yes.

Finally saw Battle Royale. I see where the comparisons with Hunger Games come from, but they were really two very different stories. They both have kids slaughtering each other in a game, but the motivations and surroundings are completely dissimilar, and IMHO, that makes them very distinct.

I enjoyed it, but there were several WTF-ery moments in there, especially toward the end.

battle_royale_poster.preview.jpg

I'm ready for Avengers Arena now.

Let's see... over the past few days I've seen:

Alice in Wonderland -- Not bad. Visually stunning with amazing green-screen sets and the like. Captures the inherent weirdness of Underland/Wonderland quite well.

Brave -- I liked this a lot. While the trailers made me expect something far more action-heavy, what I did get was just fine. Oh, and visually? Just amazing. The landscapes, lighting, and other effects show Pixar at it's best.

Conan the Barbarian -- Wow, this film was... was... not good. I never felt like I was watching something set in Conan's world... in fact, if you told me it was Scorpion King II or something, I'd have believed you. The costuming was pretty enh... there were plot holes galore... the fight choreography was kind silly (way too much sword spinning)... I could go on for a while.

Dredd -- Starring Karl Urban as Judge Dredd. Okay, I'll admit, the Stallone film captured the visual style of the comics far better, but this movie really felt like a day in the life of Dredd. Urban never takes the helmet off, scowls through the whole film, states "I am the law", and generally acts a lot like you'd expect Dredd to act.

The Princess and the Frog -- Disney returns to its 2-D animation roots and does it with a fun story as well as some nice, catchy music.

I picked up Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths on DVD. One of the more interesting and entertaining DC animated movies, in no small part due to the strong personalities of several of the heroes' evil counterparts in the Crime Syndicate.

Ultraman: Superman acting and sounding like a New York crime boss. Obviously revels in being the toughest guy in the world, "the baddest of the bad."

Superwoman: This version reportedly based on Mary Marvel rather than Wonder Woman. A bored cat in a world full of mice. "I'm a murdering psychopath. It's part of my charm."

Owl Man: Batman completely descended into darkness. One of the scariest supervillains I've ever seen. Utterly insane, yet absolutely in control.

I watched Clash of the Titans last night. It was... uhm... a lot of spectacle. It also didn't make a lot of sense, mainly because of a lot of plot contradictions. I understand there were scripts closer to the original myths and the like, but the version that finally made it to the big screen was just a mess. On the other hand, the idea of desert nomads traveling around on giant scorpions is an awesome one.

Let's see... over the past few days I've seen:

Dredd -- Starring Karl Urban as Judge Dredd. Okay, I'll admit, the Stallone film captured the visual style of the comics far better, but this movie really felt like a day in the life of Dredd. Urban never takes the helmet off, scowls through the whole film, states "I am the law", and generally acts a lot like you'd expect Dredd to act.

I loved Dredd. My only complaint was that it looked too modern (as compared to futuristic). I particularly liked that Anderson was not shrinking violet and was a complete character.

I picked up Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths on DVD. One of the more interesting and entertaining DC animated movies, in no small part due to the strong personalities of several of the heroes' evil counterparts in the Crime Syndicate.

Ultraman: Superman acting and sounding like a New York crime boss. Obviously revels in being the toughest guy in the world, "the baddest of the bad."

Superwoman: This version reportedly based on Mary Marvel rather than Wonder Woman. A bored cat in a world full of mice. "I'm a murdering psychopath. It's part of my charm."

Owl Man: Batman completely descended into darkness. One of the scariest supervillains I've ever seen. Utterly insane, yet absolutely in control.

James Woods owned that movie. The design of the Owlman costume was the best yet.