Super Hero? ::Eyes Glaze Over::

VR Dragon

I don't fully understand something about the gaming population at large. I have been looking for players for a Champions Game and I have to say I feel I would have a better chance to find a winning multi million dollar powerball lottery ticket on the street then to find even one person who would play.

I mean I find many gamers and they get excited about hearing a game is looking for players. BUT If I say the word "Super Hero" I get the dead fish look.

Eyes Glaze Over.

So what am I missing here? I don't understand reaction? Can someone Enlighten me?

Re: Super Hero? ::Eyes Glaze Over::

Are you familiar with the overall gaming community of your city? I find your problem to be odd. Gaming and comicbooks tend to exite the same sort of people. I know this is not a steadfast rule, but a large percentage of gamers are into comics.

Have you tried looking for gamers at the local Comicbook Store?

Grimble

Actually, I've found a similar problem here. Most people that Roleplay around here like Fantasy and D20.

I have gotten the feeling in the past that many Fantasy fans see Comics as an inferior form of literature. When you compare 90's Image to LOTR they might be right but comparing Allan Moore and Frank Miller to RA Salvatore is another story. (Before I get flamed, I like all of the above ;) ).

I also find that a lot of comic fans that game see Hero as a big learning curve. Frustrating. I was lucky enough to have 2 good consistant players who are willing to play 2 PCs each. Not the ideal situation but we have fun.

When I'm trying to sell the HERO system and Champions. I play up the fact that it is so versatile. Have the potential-player come up with a power or ability and show them how it can be tailor made to do EXACTLY what they want. I like to do character write-ups one-on-one with new players and let them know that they don't have to be fully versed in all thing HERO at the start. I'll answer any and all questions during and outside the game and help them undestand rolls and such.

So, my best advice is to really push the fact that HERO can simulate any and all characters and powers the player can come up with.

Grimble

P.S. If they are just dead set against SUperhero games, then you just need to look further for players.

The superhero genre can be seen as silly. Putting on tights and capes to rescue kittens from trees is a bit too "Superfriend"y for some people. Try describing it as a modern game where secret abilities separate a few chosen people from the rest of humanity. Or tell them you want to play a game based on NBC's Heroes.

The superhero genre can be seen as silly. Putting on tights and capes to rescue kittens from trees is a bit too "Superfriend"y for some people. Try describing it as a modern game where secret abilities separate a few chosen people from the rest of humanity. Or tell them you want to play a game based on NBC's Heroes.

What do you mean silly!? I have spandex and a cape on under my clothes right now as I type this! Man, I hope somebody does some evil soon! they are gonna get the :slap:

I've discovered that the d20 System is a great way to introduce new people to gaming. But you need to ween then off of it shortly after or they end up "Gaming Challenged".

I've tried to get people to play Champs, but they're so lazy (because of d20) they rarely give it a try.

A suggestion would be to pitch it as a Comic Book game and get them to make a favorite comic book character. Then once you get them hooked, try running something homebrewed.

You have to go with what people like. Remember one of the d20 truths... power sells. Run a Fantasy Hero game and let people get whacky with their abilities, or like someone else mentioned, run something more like the tv show Heroes.

A lot of people don't like superheroes, try to tap what they like. X-men, maybe, or just a modern game where they get supernatural powers... perhaps the genesis type game where the powers are gained as part of the scenario. Just be careful to go with the player's tastes... or that scenario may flop.

Sounds like you have a limited area, but everywhere you go fantasy and D&D are always going to ne the most prominent. Did you try the player finder on these boards? I'm in a great group from that.

I have gotten the feeling in the past that many Fantasy fans see Comics as an inferior form of literature. When you compare 90's Image to LOTR they might be right but comparing Allan Moore and Frank Miller to RA Salvatore is another story. (Before I get flamed' date=' I like all of the above ;) ).[/quote']

Nah. What it really is is that they like finding people they think they can feel superior to.

don't say "superheroes", instead say "Incredibles" or "teen titans" or "JLA" or "X-Men".

Superheroes is a blanket term that mean different things to different people, but pretty much everyone knows that what the Incredibles are about. (although opinions can vary quite a bit on teams that have existed in comic book, animated and/or movie forms)

Still, it's an important hurdle to cross. Then, when someone who can't play the one character they wanted to instead asks if they could play a variant on Starfire's sister or Frozone's twin sister who burns things, you have to keep from snickering and saying 'sucker' and just smile and walk them through character construction...

At this point the hook should be in pretty deep. Just reel 'em in.

I never had that probleam when I started playing ohh so many years ago, 25+. I started out in what has become d20. I shall, I hope, never GM in it again.

I 'CAN DO ANYTHING IN HERO AND HAVE!!!!!', just pitch it as a game like the TV show HEROES and you might be suprised.

Amen, Brother! :hail:

As a player and GM for both Rolemaster and Spacemaster in days past, I concur.

Make mine Hero! :cool::rockon:

We used to occasionally change things up by playing Rolemaster, foir one big reason... Older editions of FH made playing really potent Mages kinda hard, and every once in a while it was fun to play a system where you can really cut loose with magic.

And with the right optional rules from the bazillion & a half companions, you could make some WAY powerful mages.

One of the things I like about the modern incarnation of FH is we now have a lot more "cannon" suggestions for how to play uber-mages if the campaign calls for such.