New Body Armor

1EyedJack

Re: New Body Armor

I saw the most amazing body armor on future weapons' date=' Its called Dragon Skin. It took multipule hits from multipule cailbers without any penetration. the wepons ranged from 9mm to 7.62mm and in total sustained about 50 direct hits.[/quote']

The Wikipedia entry on Dragonskin at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Skin_body_armor

has some specs about the NIJ (National Institute of Justice) testing and

certification levels and some potential provisos especially regarding it's

potential deficiancies when subjected to temps in the higher temp ranges

such as might be encountered in the Middle-Eastern deserts (temps around

120%F and above) for those who might want to add limitations to the armor/etc.

-Carl-

I saw the most amazing body armor on future weapons' date=' Its called Dragon Skin. It took multipule hits from multipule cailbers without any penetration. the wepons ranged from 9mm to 7.62mm and in total sustained about 50 direct hits.[/quote']And then they detonated a frag grenade with the dummy sitting right on top. Still no penetration.

I wonder if it is using diferent materials than other body armors or is it engineered difrently or both?

Edsel found some stuff that that you treated cloth with and it gave the cloth bullet resistant qualities so it could be worn all over the body I want to say its call liqiud body armor but don't qoute me on that

I wonder if it is using diferent materials than other body armors or is it engineered difrently or both?

Edsel found some stuff that that you treated cloth with and it gave the cloth bullet resistant qualities so it could be worn all over the body I want to say its call liqiud body armor but don't qoute me on that

Dragonskin is basically a modernized "Scale mail" made out of (conflicting accounts) ceramic or titanium and ceramic disks. This is contained inside a kevlar or Spectra shield "envelope." Low power rounds might not even hit the ceramic.

I saw that episode of Futureweapons, too. The new armor and weaponry are really starting to "break the scale" of game mechanics as we know them. Much in the same way the M-1 Abrams does.

"This write-up looks ridiculously overpowered! Is this right?"

"Mmmm-hmmm. Mmmm-hmm. Yep, thats correct. The REAL objects are whats ridiculously overpowered" :help:

Well, if a munchkin I must be, in real life I would definitely go for the unfair advantage. :)

I've heard about this a few times, now. Time to check out the website and videos. Could always try buying it as combination body armor/rennaissance fair garb? hahaha

• 1 month later...

Thats rather interesting armor. Life wise I think I be ordering one, game wise I have a few suggestions, that reflect getting shoot in the real world.

1. I would think a min. stun is in order, having many buddies get shot, with plate carriers on and without, I can tell you that it hurts, but no matter what your going to get bruised, and prehaps a cracked rib, or worse.

So after wacthing those videos on their site their dumbie does bob quiet a bit :) so a min stun might be in order, sure it stops the leathal effect, but taking a 7.62 to the chest hurts no matter how you slice it.

2. Remember that you can just aim for non-protected spots a vest is great but legs, arms, head, and shoulders to a degree are unprotected.

3. Must note that on their site is a ballistics chart, and depending on the level of protection will provide diffrent amounts of pd/ed, and you may want to cobound that with a min stun.

4. When all else fails, aim center mass, and let the recoil lead up, by the time that head shot arrives, well even with this their going to be feeling it.

5. looking at their chart Du is not listed as stopable, Blackmarket contacts and getting some .50 cal DU not to hard. Also Alexander arms makes a leagally acquireable weapon that is a .50 cal sporting rifle, (modifed m16 called beowulf (spelling)) getting DU rounds for that might be harder but its doable, might have to make them, assuming you can get the rescources. you can get civy barrets as well. Those will take .50 DU no problem.

6. Have to factor the cost, while yes a hero worth gobs of money can get them, their not cheap at all, and you will have to buy more after you take X number of hits. Buying alot of body armor attracts a lot of attention, even if you have our own company like a certain batty hero.

7. The easy way out, DON"T TELL YOUR PLAYERS ABOUT IT. works every time, well unless they read the boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Real world weapon improvement has never been a problem in our campaign for the simple reason that one of our primary metarules is that heavy military weaponry is explicitly a threat even to supers. There's no guarantee supers would defeat even a second-rate military unit of sufficient size, much less a technologically advanced one like the US or UK field. Where supers come into their own is their speed, flexibility, and odd assortment of powers. How does a SEAL team deal with a woman who can desolidify or turn denser than steel, a man who can summon a powerful localized thunderstorm, or one who can travel underground faster than a HUMMV can travel on the surface and cause the very earth under their feet to explode? While you're deploying your scout robot, how do your soldiers deal with a sorcerer doing his own counter-recon with clairsentience or a girl who can detect and control any electronic device?

By dealing with supers essentially as Special Ops teams cubed, we can create interesting scenarios without allowing either side to take victory for granted.

Real world weapon improvement has never been a problem in our campaign for the simple reason that one of our primary metarules is that heavy military weaponry is explicitly a threat even to supers. There's no guarantee supers would defeat even a second-rate military unit of sufficient size, much less a technologically advanced one like the US or UK field. Where supers come into their own is their speed, flexibility, and odd assortment of powers. How does a SEAL team deal with a woman who can desolidify or turn denser than steel, a man who can summon a powerful localized thunderstorm, or one who can travel underground faster than a HUMMV can travel on the surface and cause the very earth under their feet to explode? While you're deploying your scout robot, how do your soldiers deal with a sorcerer doing his own counter-recon with clairsentience or a girl who can detect and control any electronic device?

By dealing with supers essentially as Special Ops teams cubed, we can create interesting scenarios without allowing either side to take victory for granted.

Very reasonable approach.