Grond vs. A Cow

Vestnik

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grond vs. A Cow

Mad Cow: The Bovine Behemoth

Rick Jones was standing in a field one day, practicing his Matador skills so he could join the Defenders or something. Suddenly the commies dropped a nuke in the next field. Rick was distracted by the blast and would have been destroyed by it, except that at that moment, Ferdinand the bull (his opponent) got the drop on the distracted young sidekick to Bruce Banner/alter ego to Captain Mar'vel/whatever. Jones was knocked into a convenient ditch as Ferdinand was bombarded with Gamma Radiation, altering his bovine DNA.

Now, whenever Ferdinand sees red, he transforms into: MAD COW! THE BOVINE BEHEMOTH!

People, let's be serious. This thread is getting udderly ridiculous. I know everyone wants to milk this for all it's worth, but it's frankly getting a bit cheesy. I swear, if I hear one more cow-related joke, I'm going to let out a blood-curdling sCream. If this thread doesn't get put out to pasture, we might have to ask an admin to moooooove it to NGD. At least try to steer it on-topic.

Sorry. I've always had a bit of a beef with these sorts of threads. Apologies for having such a cow about this.

I know its supposed to be hard to kill in the superheroic scale....but some of this just doesnt work.

Defenses, attack ratings, body levels between heroes, vehicles, and now cows. Cows that can take orbital drops.

I usually use the mook rule of all body in one hit= death for alll but major NPC;s and PC's, but still wierd things tend to pop up.

Superheroes might be tough as tanks, but from what I see of most supplements and gamesaren't as powerful....even in genres where their attacks should be as powerful as tank shells.

I'm thinking about the next game I run being a 'true super scale'..with bricks whose punches rival the stats of main tanks in physical damage. Energy blasters will have the punch to brun through main battle tank armor, with ease.and the defenses of everyone in question will be scaled to handle that.

Or is that the wrong approach, and its the write up off vehicles and creatures that needs to be changed?

I know its supposed to be hard to kill in the superheroic scale....but some of this just doesnt work.

Defenses, attack ratings, body levels between heroes, vehicles, and now cows. Cows that can take orbital drops.

I usually use the mook rule of all body in one hit= death for alll but major NPC;s and PC's, but still wierd things tend to pop up.

Superheroes might be tough as tanks, but from what I see of most supplements and gamesaren't as powerful....even in genres where their attacks should be as powerful as tank shells.

I'm thinking about the next game I run being a 'true super scale'..with bricks whose punches rival the stats of main tanks in physical damage. Energy blasters will have the punch to brun through main battle tank armor, with ease.and the defenses of everyone in question will be scaled to handle that.

Or is that the wrong approach, and its the write up off vehicles and creatures that needs to be changed?

Honestly, I think your approach is the right one, and is the approach I took with my Star Hero game. My Heroic level SH players were frequently running around with weapons that'd make the average Champions character go white with fear (8d6 Double AP RKAs, for instance), because I wanted the scale to be somewhat consistant and realistic, and any weapon designed to burn through advanced sci-fi armored vehicles is probably going to kill a soft target DEAD with a single solid hit.

But the write ups do need work.

Look at the Cannons in TUV.

up to an 8 pounder does a 1d6+1 RKA.

Same as a .38 special.

Now go watch the Mythbusters Pirate Special and watch what a (IIRC) 3 pounder does to both a solid Oak bulkhead, and to a ballistics gelatin dummy.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I typically run games where offenses and defenses are well beyond the CU guidelines. I find it gives a much more traditional High Power Comic Book feel to the world, especially because I go out of my way to let the PCs feel powerful. These guys are meant to be Superheroes; there's no point to kicking the crap out of them with Viper Agents and other mooks. Of course, there's a whole range of comic book stories out there; if you're a fan of the classic or Ultimate X-Men, you'll probably be using a very different set of power levels and house rules than if you're a fan of the Silver Age Legion of Super Heroes or Justice League.

Of course' date=' there's a whole range of comic book stories out there; if you're a fan of the classic or Ultimate X-Men, you'll probably be using a very different set of power levels and house rules than if you're a fan of the Silver Age Legion of Super Heroes or Justice League.[/quote']

It just seems that heroic levels passed off as very powerful actually corresponds with fairly weaker, street type heroes. This has been reinforced more by the power inflation of suppllements liek Until and Vper, which give agents blaster weaposn easiyl rivalling, or exceeding the attacks of starting baseline heroes.

A character whose main attack is comparable to a blaster rifle from an agent is maybe a hero, but I dont know if I can call them a superhero.

Routinely downgrading agent equipment fromt he sourcebooks has gotten tiring (i mean, reall, Dr Destroyer is much more of a threat to a team as a large group of his agents and killer robots. I know some teams that would rather face DD alone than 50 or 60 of his agents.

This power up may be addressed in my current PBEM--whose status as soon to be extra solar heroes calls for a major upgrade in power. I expect a large starship to have wepaons to make a mere earth tank blush, and these heroes need to be able to fight those ships..and win.

Maybe I should switch the game back over to to the old DC mayfair system--these discussiosn are increasing my doubt in HERO being able to do high powered games in an efficient manner, much less the problems with valid scalings of the damage dealing and taking abilities of heroes, vehicles, and the environment surrounding them.

There are some things I've done to fix this in terms of hero vulnerability to large attacks (fixed stun multipliers for example), but still..Grond doesnt need to just pick up a tank--he should be able to bend it in half, or rip it apart.

And cows should die when falling from orbit.