And this is my special eff... er, I mean, my Sidekick.

wylodmayer

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the folks here thought of this idea.

I was bouncing ideas around with a buddy, and together (I can't remember who first proposed it, honestly) we came up with the idea of buying a Sidekick merely as 2 Overall Skill levels, OIF (-1/2; Sidekick), Limited Power (Seperate Person; -1/2). The Limited Power means that the Sidekick usually sticks close and is able to help with stuff, but is occassionally at school or not around or something. Other than that, the "person" is just a "special effect" for Skill Levels. He can distract enemies in combat (CV), help with disarming bombs ("Don't clip the red wire until I tell you!"), and so on.

Yes, I know - there are rules for Followers. And yes, I know, I could probably build a much more useful Follower for the same point value. But, seriously, aren't some sidekicks such non entities as to almost be better represented this way? I mean, hell, they're not even Independent (-2)... Batman cranks out juvies in red doublets as quick as the Joker can squish 'em. It's a tad creepy.

It was just a flight of fancy, but I've been toying with "nonstandard" ways to represent certain basic things, lately. Any comments?

Re: And this is my special eff... er, I mean, my Sidekick.

It was just a flight of fancy, but I've been toying with "nonstandard" ways to represent certain basic things, lately. Any comments?

As someone who is working on / fiddling with a character whose abilities are summoning animals for quick actions that are just powers built with the "Physical manifestation" limitation, I like the way you think.

There are some problems with it (ie - can he get hit, what happens if someone tries to grab him ect), but I like the basic concept.

There are some problems with it (ie - can he get hit' date=' what happens if someone tries to grab him ect), but I like the basic concept.[/quote']

Heh, heh - what's that about "great minds?"

The beauty of it is that, as an OIF, there's already rules to cover what happens with him getting hit and all. If we assume he's "breakable," then maybe a big enough attack can disable him for a while, but if he's not "Independent," then our hero can just get him off to the hospital and "fix" him... or, failing that, train a new one (works for Batman). He can't be easily "disarmed," of course, but even an OIF can be carted off if left unattended.

I toyed with making the sidekick an EC and putting a few other things in there to simulate that it can do recon (maybe a Clairsentience that takes time and is vague... or not vague, if the mentor has trained the sidekick to report back specifically and accurately) and that it can sometimes assist with things even when the mentor is tied up or whathaveyou. But I really wanted to keep it as sparse as possible, and a couple of Overall levels seemed like the best way.

All this is based on a concept I devised once for a pair of martial-arts using Twins (one has the other as a Follower, but they're roughly the same base points) who each have Negative Skill Levels that are Usable ON Others, but only usable when fighting in tandem with the other twin. In other words, they know how to hinder and hamper their enemies' actions when working as a unit. I enjoyed it.

I was bouncing ideas around with a buddy, and together (I can't remember who first proposed it, honestly) we came up with the idea of buying a Sidekick merely as 2 Overall Skill levels, OIF (-1/2; Sidekick), Limited Power (Seperate Person; -1/2). The Limited Power means that the Sidekick usually sticks close and is able to help with stuff, but is occassionally at school or not around or something. Other than that, the "person" is just a "special effect" for Skill Levels. He can distract enemies in combat (CV), help with disarming bombs ("Don't clip the red wire until I tell you!"), and so on.

I am wary of the "separate person" limitation. Is there an example of a similar limitation somewhere? Making the little guy an inaccessible focus would imply that he always stuck close, in that an opponent could not take him away from you. If you want him to be "occassionally at school or not around or something," you might consider an activation roll.

I do like the fact that, as a focus, he is a unique "item" and not easily replacable with just any kid off the street. "Inaccessible" feels wrong for a sidekick, but I think I understand why you want to use it in this case. This is a sidekick that never gets nabbed by a bad guy, cannot be knocked out because he is annoying an opponent, and doesn't wander off and stumble into the trap meant for the hero.

I love the idea! I'd be a little wary adding a recon ability (if little Timmy's enough of a non-entity to not be a follower, he's probably not reliable enough to scout without supervision or to stay awake while watching the back door of the villian's hideout).

Depending on the flavor of the campaign, the sidekick could even work as an unbreakable focus (has the annoying habit of stepping behind YOU right before someone tries to shoot him and the cursed luck of somehow managing to survive being placed in every death trap imaginable) - works well with the person being simply a special effect, and we've all seen plenty of incredibly lucky sidekicks (or annoying tagalongs) that can't be gotten rid of when you're on a date, let alone killed by your arch-nemesis... right?

During our first session of my campaign, I had someone show up and talk to a PC guy from the future. This individual (TACHyON) basically is a KS: Future Events and a Perk (A sort of access to a time manipulation database) but the player has limited control over him. I do an activation to see if he shows up this game and he rolls to see if he knows anything.

Others think he's got an imaginary friend.

I love the idea!

I've actually used a variation of it for a few characters. One had purchased Enhanced PER rolls with OAF, defined as a glowing orb that floated near his shoulder. Another bought a number of KS and Skill Levels defined as having a guiding totem spirit that talked to him (no Focus though). I don't see any problem with making such a thing a person. I would definitely make it OAF rather than OIF, since the little guy can be grabbed. There should definitely be some additional Lim representing the sidekick may be away and not helping the character... I'm thinking OIHID, which usually shouldn't be placed on Powers with Focus, but for this I'd be willing to make an exception.

I would definitely make it OAF rather than OIF' date=' since the little guy can be grabbed.[/quote']

I think this misses the point that even an Inaccessible Focus can be picked up and carried off - it just can't be Disarmed in combat. That's why I originally chose an OIF instead of an OAF. Sure, he can be nabbed, but he's not as easy to nab as, say, a gun or a sword. He moves around, can kick and fight, and is just plain bigger than the average OAF. As an OIF, the Sidekick could not be taken away from the hero as long as the hero is present, conscious and non Stunned, and able to prevent it. In other words, distract the hero, stun him or knock him out or otherwise disable him briefly, and you can have his Sidekick - not otherwise. That sounds about right to me. Making it an Accessible Focus would make it TOO easy to grab the kid.

I think this misses the point that even an Inaccessible Focus can be picked up and carried off - it just can't be Disarmed in combat. That's why I originally chose an OIF instead of an OAF. Sure' date=' he can be nabbed, but he's not as easy to nab as, say, a gun or a sword. He moves around, can kick and fight, and is just plain bigger than the average OAF. As an OIF, the Sidekick could not be taken away from the hero as long as the hero is present, conscious and non Stunned, and able to prevent it. In other words, distract the hero, stun him or knock him out or otherwise disable him briefly, and you can have his Sidekick - not otherwise. That sounds about right to me. Making it an Accessible Focus would make it TOO easy to grab the kid.[/quote']

Actually, if he can kick and fight, and more importantly if NPCs are going to be wasting attacks on him, as a GM I'd probably require him to be purchased as a regular follower.

If he were an OAF, or a Physical Manifestation, I would consider permitting it, so long as you paid points for everything he could do. At least when NPCs targeted him they wouldn't be wasting an action. If for some reason NPCs never wasted time with him, OK, I might allow him as an OIF. If he's sucking up time and attacks that could be spent by the bad guys beating up the PC, but he can't actually be taken away, he becomes cheesy.

Of course, you could make him an OIF: Youngster of Opportunity. Any nearby kid becomes your sidekick, until a villain kills him. Then, you just grab the closest kid and start using him instead.

I think this misses the point that even an Inaccessible Focus can be picked up and carried off - it just can't be Disarmed in combat. That's why I originally chose an OIF instead of an OAF. Sure' date=' he can be nabbed, but he's not as easy to nab as, say, a gun or a sword. He moves around, can kick and fight, and is just plain bigger than the average OAF. As an OIF, the Sidekick could not be taken away from the hero as long as the hero is present, conscious and non Stunned, and able to prevent it. In other words, distract the hero, stun him or knock him out or otherwise disable him briefly, and you can have his Sidekick - not otherwise. That sounds about right to me. Making it an Accessible Focus would make it TOO easy to grab the kid.[/quote']

No disagreement on how the mechanics work, but this is exactly the reason I think he should be an OAF. Sure, he's not easy to get a hold of while the hero is there to stop it, that's why he effectively has the same DCV of the hero +2, and the hero can use his STR to resist him being taken away (or for SFX purposes, the kid can resist using the hero's STR). I thinking making it OIF makes it too DIFFICULT to grab the kid.

Ultimately, just a difference in style. :)

Personally I ahve a problem with this approach because it is misleading and can be confusing to players.

I mean, if you want to say to players:

Destructo has an accomplice following him around and helping him, but you know she's really just a focus, so you can grab her and throw her into the corner of the room where she'll remain until he goes and gets her...

.....then fine, but that doesn't work well for me. It can cause players to waste attacks (I mind control the accomplice...) or, if the GM makes it more logical, then you are probably not really applying the limtiations of focus.

I can see this kind of thing working for 'instant effects' (I summon a demon who flies at my opponent, injuring him, then vanishes back to Hell), but that is not a focus limitation (physical manifestation at best, more likely just sfx).

Personally I ahve a problem with this approach because it is misleading and can be confusing to players.

I mean, if you want to say to players:

Destructo has an accomplice following him around and helping him, but you know she's really just a focus, so you can grab her and throw her into the corner of the room where she'll remain until he goes and gets her...

.....then fine, but that doesn't work well for me. It can cause players to waste attacks (I mind control the accomplice...) or, if the GM makes it more logical, then you are probably not really applying the limtiations of focus.

I can see this kind of thing working for 'instant effects' (I summon a demon who flies at my opponent, injuring him, then vanishes back to Hell), but that is not a focus limitation (physical manifestation at best, more likely just sfx).

....although if it is OIF' date=' you can't just grab it...but players may well TRY, which wastes their time.[/quote']

Yup.

OddHat said:

Of course, you could make him an OIF: Youngster of Opportunity. Any nearby kid becomes your sidekick, until a villain kills him. Then, you just grab the closest kid and start using him instead.

I think this describes most of my girlfriends pretty well (well, not always the "youngster" bit)

I had a friend once in the late 80's named Ken Hawkins when I lived in Clarksville, Tenn, whom I used to play Champions with. He was a very creative sort who always had all kinds of great character concepts. One was a character named "Shield" who had an invisible "sidekick" named "Buckler" that only Shield could see. Ken defined "Buckler" as nd6 of Luck (I could be mistaken, but I believe at the time the system limited you to 3d6 of Luck, but I bet if Ken were still active, he would want to add more dice to this).

Shield (and Buckler) was a homage/parody of Captain America (and Bucky), and was a bit of a loon. We (as a group) were never really sure if Buckler was one of Shield's imaginary friends, or if he really existed. Whenever Shield would get lucky in combat, he would always credit Buckler in that typical baritone voice: "Good going, Buckler!" "Nice save, Buckler!" and so on. He was a loon, but fun to be around, plus a very good combatant, so we let him stick around.

Alas, because I moved to New York in the middle of the campaign, I never found out if Buckler was real or not.