Disturbing Character premises...

AdamLeisemann

Re: Disturbing Character premises...

Sounds like Mr. Fantastic got caught in a Hentai Flick whilst clad in a japanese girl's uniform there...

I think I saw that movie... or parts of it....

(damn you 4-chan!!!)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really disturbing, more disgusting but..

"Gunk is a large mass of green phlegm-like gunk that is vauguely humanoid in shape."

The players heard the words "green phlegm-like" and just didn't want to touch the guy :D

I've both Dm'ed some distrubing characters and had players play some really sadistic characters:

• Valcraft, a villain who took Kagato (PC) in as his prodigy, was truely my most distrubing villains. He was meant to be everything I felt was evil, and it was a memorable character not only for kagato, but for the players who watched their story (it was online via IRC, and we still have the logs if you wanna see the whole thing yourself). Valcraft was a vampire wanna-be who had filed his own teeth into sharp spikes, and fed on the flesh and blood of others. His business practices include slavery and criminal organization, and Kagato fell into the role of being Valcraft's personal enforcer. Valcraft later turned into a psychic parasite, who dominated bodies until he was done with them, and Kagato was next on his list (and this was before I had even heard of Naruto).
  • Dracon Crovak was a friend's first character for Star Wars who was a force adept. He routinely harrassed old men by force grabing their canes from them, to give an example of his morals. He ended up causing a civilization to go into ruination after he detonated a large blast within a huge city, causing the world to shift slightly on it's axis and changing the face of that planet.
  • Telthier (same player who played Dracon, and is in my current Ebberon campaign) is a warlock who is neutral Evil. At first he wasn't that bad, but as their airship was falling from the sky, he eldrich blasted a old grandmother in front of her two grandchildren to take her life perserver. The children kicked him (leaving him with a single hit point) and he ran and leaped from the falling airship to safety. the other characters have no idea what happened, but the player knows his character's life hangs by a thread if they ever find out what he had done.

[*]Dracon Crovak was a friend's first character for Star Wars who was a force adept. He routinely harrassed old men by force grabing their canes from them' date=' to give an example of his morals. He ended up causing a civilization to go into ruination after he detonated a large blast within a huge city, causing the world to shift slightly on it's axis and changing the face of that planet.[/quote']

Sounds like "jerk for the sake of being a jerk". Any self-respecting group of PC's would toss him out.

[*]Telthier (same player who played Dracon' date=' and is in my current Ebberon campaign) is a warlock who is neutral Evil. At first he wasn't that bad, but as their airship was falling from the sky, he eldrich blasted a old grandmother in front of her two grandchildren to take her life perserver. The children kicked him (leaving him with a single hit point) and he ran and leaped from the falling airship to safety. the other characters have no idea what happened, but the player knows his character's life hangs by a thread if they ever find out what he had done.[/list']

Sounds NE to me. His life is more important than anyone else's, so he takes what he needs to survive. There's a reason many games recommend against evil PC's. Played properly, they are not heroes.

And my PC group would expel him from the group at a minimum if they were aware of that act. Players who want to play characters lacking in redeeming features should have it made very clear to them that the other PC's are not in any way required or encouraged to treat player characters differently from an NPC behaving the same way - you don't have a glowing aura that screams "PC - any behaviour is acceptable".

True, and the player is perfectly fine with having his character killed or backstabbed by the group. He knows that when you play an evil character in a group of good guys, it can end up ugly for the evil character.

The good news is that the character is reasonable and will help the group out, with the reason that what helps the group helps him. He likes the shifter barbarian flesh shield to protect him, not maim him.

Not really disturbing, more disgusting but..

"Gunk is a large mass of green phlegm-like gunk that is vauguely humanoid in shape."

The players heard the words "green phlegm-like" and just didn't want to touch the guy :D

Ew. I suspect he'd be Billy's hero from Billy & Mandy (I personally cannot stand the show, but that's the image that comes to mind.)

More disturbing premises from myself, based on a discussion with jkwleisemann.

Takofanes' Dominatrix. Since the only beings more vile and more powerful than Kal-Turak would be the interdimensional demons of cthulian nature, this would be breaking a number of taboos. My brother then added the image of Takofanes in a japanese girl's school uniform.

Ask jkwleisemann for more details if you are morbidly curious. If not, please take a bucket and take out your sickness away from me.

Sounds NE to me. His life is more important than anyone else's, so he takes what he needs to survive. There's a reason many games recommend against evil PC's. Played properly, they are not heroes.

And my PC group would expel him from the group at a minimum if they were aware of that act. Players who want to play characters lacking in redeeming features should have it made very clear to them that the other PC's are not in any way required or encouraged to treat player characters differently from an NPC behaving the same way - you don't have a glowing aura that screams "PC - any behaviour is acceptable".

For the large part, I agree. The actions described are ones that would probably get the characters @$$ booted to the curb. To many people think that their character should be given more slack simply because they are PCs. However, the statement that an evil PC, if played properly, isn't a hero is not entirely correct. A classic example I like to use of an evil character who could very well work well with a group to "heroic" ends is Kerr Avon, from Blake's 7. Utterly Self-serving and Condescending of Blake's ideals, he still saves the crew of the Liberator on several occasions. In fact, the character, despite becoming increasingly paranoid after the death of Blake, show signs of a heroism that culminate in the cynical embezzler ending the martyred hero. The problem is that too many players see the alignments as being far more restricitve than they really are. Altogether, the nine alignments simply catagorise nine broad groups of philisophical leaning. These days, you simply ask yourself some questions about who your character is (which is why I still think that the Hero Builders Guidebook is the best supplement that WotC has ever released), and then place them accordingly.

Years ago, I ran an ogre in a Runequest game. In the Runequest game, Ogres appear just like normal people, albeit rather gifted ones, tending toward higher strength, more intelligent, better-looking, etc. The problem, however, is that the food source for Ogres is the flesh of intelligent humanoids. . .

As long as we kept hitting towns, the other players were safe. But they never did put two and two together and wonder why when we hit a new town, my character did some "errands" and some people disappeared.

He would have killed the other party members in their sleep, but reasoned that keeping them alive made sense, since (1) there is safety in numbers when adventuring; and (2) no sense in carrying his emergency rations when it so obligingly walked around on its own.

Here's another one - immortal man, living in an isolated fortress, enslaving an army of errily merry midgets, who spies on innocent children, and rewards those whose behavoir he deems "good" with gifts and sweets. What's worse, he visits their houses in the dead of night, and no lock nor door will bar his way.

Hmm, let's see.

We have a group of individuals who have taken it upon themselves to make the world a more "caring" place. To this end, they spy upon the earth seeking out anyone who they feel is "uncaring".

Creepy point #1 - They can spy into peoples homes.

When they identify a target, they assemble a strike team and decend to earth, seeking out the targeted individual to ascertain the cause of their unhappines and what led them to be uncaring. This is all well and good. But when that indicidual chooses of their own free will to remain uncaring, but basically keep to themselves, this doesn't jibe with the Care Bear ideal, so they whip out the "Care Bear Stare", which forcibly alters the subjects persona to one more in keeping with their world view.

Creepy point #2 - Brainwashing is perfectly okay.

Basically, we have self-appointed thought police that can and will rob you

of your free will if you step out of line.

This is what we subject children to? We're telling them that it's okay to forcibly reprogram somebody because their outlook doesn't conform to somebode elses worldview.

The Care Bears.

The Cute And Fuzy, Mind-raping Comformity Police.

You can't tell me that that isn't creepy.

Understood now.

Y'know, now that you mention it...

BTW, talking creepy Care Bears stuff, anyuone here see that one episode of Robot Chicken where the Care Bears "cleanse" their homeland of the other critters?

However' date=' the statement that an evil PC, if played properly, isn't a hero is not entirely correct. A classic example I like to use of an evil character who could very well work well with a group to "heroic" ends is Kerr Avon, from Blake's 7. Utterly Self-serving and Condescending of Blake's ideals, he still saves the crew of the Liberator on several occasions. In fact, the character, despite becoming increasingly paranoid after the death of Blake, show signs of a heroism that culminate in the cynical embezzler ending the martyred hero.[/quote']

I see Avon gradually coming over to Blake's way of thinking, mainly after Blake disappears. "Utterly self-serving" seems a bit harsh. For all that portrayal, he doesn't sell out his shipmates (despite the relative ease with which he could likely have done so).

Here's another one - immortal man' date=' living in an isolated fortress, enslaving an army of errily merry midgets, who spies on innocent children, and rewards those whose behavoir he deems "good" with gifts and sweets. What's worse, he visits their houses in the dead of night, and no lock nor door will bar his way.[/quote']

Just look at him there, Your Honour, he doesn't shave or cut his hair. Why, he's grossly overweight and he only works ONE DAY a year. Now, we all know he smokes tobacco, and there's fur on that suit he wears... We MUST protect our kids from men like this!

Y'know, now that you mention it...

BTW, talking creepy Care Bears stuff, anyuone here see that one episode of Robot Chicken where the Care Bears "cleanse" their homeland of the other critters?

ROBOT CHICKEN!!!

Err, I mean, yes. And I held these views before I saw that episode.

From what I read about it' date=' yes. Very disturbing.[/quote']

If you go to user EWS on FA, you can find a picture satirising the whole 'Kiss Transformers' whatever in his archive. He manages to make it comical (in a freaky way) rather than just plain creepy.

Years ago, I ran an ogre in a Runequest game. In the Runequest game, Ogres appear just like normal people, albeit rather gifted ones, tending toward higher strength, more intelligent, better-looking, etc. The problem, however, is that the food source for Ogres is the flesh of intelligent humanoids. . .

Ah yes, I remember the idea I had for transporting my Runequest PCs to an alternate universe where humans were extinct, but ogres weren't... They didn't just make that up out of whole cloth incidentally. For example, in the earliest version of "Sleeping Beauty" to be recorded, the story doesn't end when she wakes up. Instead she marries the King, goes off with him to be his wife but has mother-in-law problems. Specifically, her mother-in-law is an ogre with an appetite for the two babies our narcoleptic heroine gave birth to while comatose. Her children are saved, the ogress is killed and Sleeping Beauty lives happily ever after...with her at least half-ogre husband who rapes comatose girls, speaking of "disturbing". :nonp:

Ah yes' date=' I remember the idea I had for transporting my Runequest PCs to an alternate universe where humans were extinct, but ogres weren't... They didn't just make that up out of whole cloth incidentally. For example, in the earliest version of "Sleeping Beauty" to be recorded, the story doesn't end when she wakes up. Instead she marries the King, goes off with him to be his wife but has mother-in-law problems. Specifically, her mother-in-law is an ogre with an appetite for the two babies our narcoleptic heroine gave birth to while comatose. Her children are saved, the ogress is killed and Sleeping Beauty lives happily ever after...with her at least half-ogre husband who rapes comatose girls, speaking of "disturbing". :nonp:[/quote']

"...and that's the end of tonight's story. Sleep well darling."

"Daddy?"

"Yes sweety?"

"Can you brick the window up please in case Prince Charming is passing by?"

(and repped for mentioning the original fairy story, always a favourite of mine. I particularly like the fact that the Prince only returned to the Sleeping Beauty for another 'session' and that's how he found she'd borne his children and woken up. Sweet guy.)

I may borrow some ideas from you guys, if that's OK.

A while back a friend wanted to run a "Mortal Combat" style campaign. Hit me with a Supers game and Ive got ideas for days. But for some reason "Street Fighter / Mortal Combat" style games...not so much. I happened to be listening to Rob Zombie's "Living Dead Girl" at the time, so....

My character was basically a low-powered revenant. (I like the idea of the victim of horrible violence and evil coming back to give the perp as good as they got). She was more or less like The Crow in how she functioned overall; she could be hurt, but she healed. She could be knocked down, but not really "killed" as she was dead already.

She also had several "tricks" she could pull, such as removing one of her eyes, concealing it somewhere, and later seeing through it to spy on people. She began the game with only one eye, and ended up "trading" when the group was visiting a morgue. (Went in with one green eye, came out with two brown eyes). Her hands were capable of independant movement as well, and could "fly" on their own. She also had the capability to use her own internal organs as an entangle, but I never used that ability.

And yet, that wasnt what disturbed people the most about her.

Living Dead Girl had to "rest" periodically. Usually she did this during the day. When she was rested, she looked normal, like she was alive. She still didnt breathe and had no heart beat, but she otherwise looked like she was still alive. However, the longer she was awake, the more "dead" she looked. I had done some investigating into what happens to the appearance of a person after they die (which, I found out, depends a -lot- on local weather conditions). For about six hours, she was indistinguishable from a normal person. After that, she began to show her condition. By the time she had been "awake" for 24 hours, she could in no way pass for anything but Undead.

The other characters encouraged her to "rest" as much as possible!

No, I dont know what made me make that character. Why do you ask?

Epilogue: During a later adventure in the campaign, the PC's encountered a rather powerful wizardess, who performed a long and complicated ritual on the character, and brought her fully back to life. So, she got a happy ending :)

I have also perpetrated a couple of other weird, morbid NPC's on game groups, some of which make me think I may need help.

In a fantasy campaign, the PC's defeated and overthrew a powerful Necromancer who had been terrorizing the local area. (This was in D&D; the PC's were about 6-8th level at the time). They raided his fortress, and I had to come up with a list of things you might find in his basement. Among the things they found was a large glass jar, in which was floating a severed Human head. The head was that of a beautiful woman, and so long as her head remained in the jar she was "alive", and could hear and respond to the PC's. She couldnt speak, but they devised a system of blinking communication. (Originally it was very simple, along the lines of Chris Pike in the chair from the Star Trek TOS episode "Menagerie"). Eventually the PC's brought her back to life. Once restored, she ended up joining the PCs as an adventurer, herself.

I also ran a Zombie Apocalypse game fairly recently where the PCs encountered a very human-looking Zombie that couldnt talk, but reacted like a self-aware being and even helped them avoid a large horde of other Zombies while they were trying to salvage an APC. The Zombie ended up convincing them to take her along with them when they found out that she could actually exert a small degree of control over other Zombies. The PC's began to realize that there were several different "races" of Zombies, and labeled her a "Zombie Master".

As time went on, "Tuesday" became more and more animated (contact with Humans was stimulating, and being with them improved her own thought processes and re-opened synaptic pathways), and eventually was able to form words, although she could only speak slowly and with difficulty. She was never really a -trusted- member of the group, but she was able to make a couple of friends among the PC's, and saved their lives at least twice. Once was by encouraging them to leave an area because she felt the presence of a more powerful Zombie Lord coming.