Disturbing Character premises...

AdamLeisemann

Re: Disturbing Character premises...

I made a hero called Genesis who seemed to creep people out.

He was a basic brick except he had a distributed intelligence and regeneration, always on. No, Always on. If he wasn't hurt, it would just pick something and grow a new one. He had to continually keep cutting himself to stop from growing a new arm or extra lungs.

He could also cut off chunks of flesh and animate them to heal/protect others. If you needed protecting, the lump of flesh would climb up to you and spread itself all over your body.

people prefered to live with the injury rather than have my little flesh golumns climb inside their wounds.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also perpetrated a couple of other weird, morbid NPC's on game groups, some of which make me think I may need help.

First off, I like Living Dead Girl....

Second, c'mon - if the players haven't all put the looney bin on speed dial, the GM isn't doing his job. :ugly:

Though I think the creator of this thread has neglected one of his more disturbing villains... or have you forgotten about the Rat with a penchant for making clothes out of his vanquished foes?

Here is a character I never got to play.

He was a mime, complete with creepy white clown makeup. His power was that anything he pantomimed was actually real (but invisible). If he mimed climbing a rope, he could climb it. If he mimed a wall, it was there and would block attacks. It was essentially a VPP with IPE and Gestures. The GM threw the character out when he got to the "Chainsaw" slot.

Here's another one - immortal man' date=' living in an isolated fortress, enslaving an army of errily merry midgets, who spies on innocent children, and rewards those whose behavoir he deems "good" with gifts and sweets. What's worse, he visits their houses in the dead of night, and no lock nor door will bar his way.[/quote']

Imagine Peter Lorre or Clint Eastwood reciting the words to "Santa Claus is coming to town."

He sees you when you're sleeping...

He knows if you're awake...

He knows if you've been bad or good..

So you better be good, for goodness sake!

You know, there's a guy who is so powerful, he can do anything. He is amazing in his abilities, he is incredible in his power, and no one in the universe is mightier than he.

However, he sits there and watches while people commit brutal torture, horrid rapes, eat each other in Africa, and butcher children, and does nothing.

He is....

God.

You know, there's a guy who is so powerful, he can do anything. He is amazing in his abilities, he is incredible in his power, and no one in the universe is mightier than he.

However, he sits there and watches while people commit brutal torture, horrid rapes, eat each other in Africa, and butcher children, and does nothing.

He is....

God.

Yeah, it's that pesky freewill thing you see.

I once played a character inspired by the artwork of the artist of the New Mutants. I can't remember how to spell his last name, so let's just call him Bill S. The guy who invented Warlock. In his honour I came up with a shapeshifting stretcher who could never get his proportions quite right. His arms and legs were always different lengths, one eye was larger than the other and he'd do things like stretching one of his eyes out on an eyestalk to look around a corner for bad guys. I called him Phreak.

• 8 months later...

I had a character named Goo, whom I thought was quite innocent but according to my players, was actually kind of gross; she could produce a glowing sticky goop at will from her hands and fling it about. SOME people with overactive imaginations may have thought it wasn't coming from her HANDS........

Probably the most disturbing character I ever actually used though was Faustus Mandaeus; a sorceror back in the 1920's who seduced an Eternal (game was set in the Marvel Universe) so she could bear him a powerful child, then he turned the Eternal into a rose where she spent the next several decades going slowly insane. Meanwhile, the child grew up with immense mental powers as a result of his heritage, which was Faustus' plan all along....so of course Faustus then possessed the body of his adult son's lover for several months so he could go about stealing his son's power for himself...one of those things that didn't seem as wrong as it actually is until it was played out. :P

When I first started playing Champions back in college, we had some real screwballs making characters - some highlights

"Wombat Man" - multiform (human/wombat) that in wombat form was 3' tall, had claws (HKAs), and tunnelling - "Its Wombat Combat Time!"

"Blue Beetle" (is this one a rip off from somewhere?) - a paranoid delusional telekinetic who never left his blue volkswagon beetle (the car bought more or less as armor)

"Celophane Man" - transparent elastic guy with a susceptibility to fire (since celophane is cellulose and flammable)

"Turbo Snail" - high speed movethrough machine

"The Brick" - high strength, high speed brick (literally) that read "acme" - movethrough machine again

Obviously, the last two "characters" we deliberately made under the premise of "how to abuse the rulesbook" for the sake of a laugh.

"Blue Beetle" (is this one a rip off from somewhere?) - a paranoid delusional telekinetic who never left his blue volkswagon beetle (the car bought more or less as armor).

Well, "The Blue Beetle" is a DC Comics character. However, the character's description sounds a lot like The Great And Powerful Turtle from Wild Cards.

Most of my characters tend to be pretty mainstream, power-wise. I believe I've vetoed every possibly disturbing character concept that's come down the pike.

The closest I've ever come to a disturbing character was an idea I had for a stretching character (seems to be a theme), but rather than be a mutant or altered human, the character was, functionally, a rubber golem; an animated humanoid construct made of rubber.

Trying to come up with a reason why anybody would create such a thing, however, led to only one hypothesis I could come up with ... which is probably not appropriate for PG-13 gaming. If I ever do this, the character will probably have 'Enraged at 'sex doll' jokes'.

The closest I've ever come to a disturbing character was an idea I had for a stretching character (seems to be a theme)' date=' but rather than be a mutant or altered human, the character was, functionally, a rubber golem; an animated humanoid construct made of rubber.[/quote']Somebody wanted to play a cross between Chucky and Stretch Armstrong?

Have you, as a GM, faced a character concept that has disturbed you? Or have you, as a player, ever disturbed your GM, the other players, or yourself with a creepy character concept? Or has the GM ever disturbed the group with a character idea?

This thread for for all the character ideas that have gotten shivers and quivers in your group (or just out of yourself). Have fun posting the ideas.

Clowns.

Well' date=' I have an article in the queue for [i']Digital Hero[/i] bringing back Profesor Muerte, and I'm hoping people will find the whole thing to be rather creepy.

Let's just say his name is a lot more appropriate than it used to be. :eg:

Since this article has been published in DH #44, I feel free to add a few more details.

As per his official mentions in Champions Universe and Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks, Profesor Muerte was killed by Scorpia and Feurmacher, now of Eurostar; but the article describes how Muerte was restored as an undead being. In the process, his armor (disfigured by Feurmacher's melting of it) was permanently merged with his unliving flesh, leaving him grotesque and partially crippled.

The Profesor is learning how to synthesize technology with sorcery. His specialty is the superpowered augmentation of undead beings under his control, through a combination of enchantment and radical scientific treatments. He can animate corpses to use as "raw material," including people he's killed. Some look much as they did in life but have additional abilities, while others are greatly altered. Some retain their intelligence, but others are Muerte's mindless thralls.

My avatar, and profile picture, are the new Profesor Muerte from the cover of DH #44. If you'd like to see more character artwork from the article, you can go here.

Okay, I'm pulling out my two favorites to throw at people, plus more. One of them I'm mentioned before but hey, it bears repeating.

Disturbing Character #1: Amoeba Man!

Actually used? : Yes.

A taxicab driver who someone found he could take the form of a giant floating amoeba with psychic powers. At the time, the player took so many other powers, the only attack that could be squeezed into his total points was a 3d6 Ego Attack. Oh yes, he wanted to duplicate himself every time he was hit as well as his duplicates. Fortunately, the power Duplication had only recently come out the week before and I wasn't going to tell the player it existed now!

His entrance is:

The other heroes charge into a bank with a large plate-glass window to stop the villains from ransacking the bank. The taxicab driver, with a passenger in the back, sees the superfight as he's driving by. Suddenly, he swings the taxi around and crashes it through the window, changes into a giant amoeba, splurps out of the car and floats towards the fight. The poor passenger in the back runs screaming down the block and all the heroes AND villains stop in horror.

Disturbing Character #2: Photogen

Actually used : Yes but modified from original concept.

The original concept of Photogen is a cyborg that wanted to have every optical Enhanced Sense possible, sort of a superhero scout. Sounds like a cool concept until you realize he had no attack power and wanted to take snapshot pictures with his eyes and pull the photographs out of his stomach.

Disturbing Character #3: Razorback

Actually used : Yes.

This 'hero' has a huge flexible razor on his back which happens to be his only attack. He has to make an acrobatic flip to jump onto someone with his back razor. Oh yes, he also talks with heavy New York lingo combined with a southern drawl. Incredibly annoying to listen to!

Oh, I have more but I don't want to embarrass myself anymore. :)

Prophylactus! was a character in a game I played in. He had a prehensile, superhumanly strong...penis. That stretched. He could do all the classic stretchy metamorph tricks...with his penis. And ONLY his penis.

Every guy at the table cringed when the Green Arrow-like supervillain pinned his prehensile appendage to the ground with several rapid fire arrows....

Another game (same group of guys) didn't have disturbing character concepts so much as disturbing character actions. We were playing the GURPS version of Vampire: the Masquerade. Only we played Sabbat. "Masquerade? We don't need no stinkin' masquerade!"

It started off with street racing, running gun battles with humans, other vampires and werewolves, and devolved into a set-piece battle ON LIVE TV between one PC and a much higher-level Vampire NPC. The PC didn't manage to diablerize the NPC--but he did decapitate him with a broadsword. From there we drifted into an unspoken competition to see who could come up with the most disturbingly violent and sadistic use of our powers--until it got to the point where we ALL sat back and thought, "Eeeeeeeewwwwwww." So we played something else after that.

My most recent disturbing PC creation is SLASHER!

No, not a knife (or razor or claw or sword) wielding serial killer. It's a teenage girl with mind control powers, who really gets off on seeing two attractive men (or two attractive women, or attractive men and women, in groups of two or more) having hot, sweaty, unhinged sex. So they do. Whenever she wants them to. And and they like it. They really, really like it, even if they're Not That Kind of Girl/Boy.

Prophylactus! was a character in a game I played in. He had a prehensile, superhumanly strong...penis. That stretched. He could do all the classic stretchy metamorph tricks...with his penis. And ONLY his penis.

Every guy at the table cringed when the Green Arrow-like supervillain pinned his prehensile appendage to the ground with several rapid fire arrows....

Another game (same group of guys) didn't have disturbing character concepts so much as disturbing character actions. We were playing the GURPS version of Vampire: the Masquerade. Only we played Sabbat. "Masquerade? We don't need no stinkin' masquerade!"

It started off with street racing, running gun battles with humans, other vampires and werewolves, and devolved into a set-piece battle ON LIVE TV between one PC and a much higher-level Vampire NPC. The PC didn't manage to diablerize the NPC--but he did decapitate him with a broadsword. From there we drifted into an unspoken competition to see who could come up with the most disturbingly violent and sadistic use of our powers--until it got to the point where we ALL sat back and thought, "Eeeeeeeewwwwwww." So we played something else after that.

My most recent disturbing PC creation is SLASHER!

No, not a knife (or razor or claw or sword) wielding serial killer. It's a teenage girl with mind control powers, who really gets off on seeing two attractive men (or two attractive women, or attractive men and women, in groups of two or more) having hot, sweaty, unhinged sex. So they do. Whenever she wants them to. And and they like it. They really, really like it, even if they're Not That Kind of Girl/Boy.

Ahhh... i take it she's not a hero?